• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:56 PM

This thread goes hand-in-hand with my other posting (with screenshots) of progress on the new design regimen.  I still can't believe it!!!!!   :D   My first experiment with XML, using my own macros, resulted in NO DROP IN THE FPS.

Long view, all macros and 90% of the runway/taxiway signs in view -- NOTE THE FPS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN
Posted Image

Close in on the GCA trailer macro (complex) -- NOTE THE FPS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN
Posted Image

Close in on the Fire/Crash/Rescue macro (complex) -- NOTE THE FPS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN
Posted Image

Medium view from across the runway, all macros in view -- NOTE THE FPS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN
Posted Image

Edited by sarge, 11 December 2004 - 11:06 PM.

#2 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:05 PM

Amazing! I'm switching over to XML for sure! :D

#3 Timsher

Timsher

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

Wow, Nice!

#4 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:08 PM

Fox, on Dec 12 2004, 12:05 AM, said:

Amazing! I'm switching over to XML for sure! :D
HIGHLY recommended, but be forewarned -- the learning curve is STEEP.  But, Fox ma man, you can also take it to the bank that it is 100% WORTH IT!!!!!

(So far.  Next step for me is to place ALL of my macros in the scenery, including repetitions of five of the more complex ones, and see if the FPS still holds or at least only registers a "modest" drop.)

Also, you can hardcode the XML for placement of default FS9 objects using the SDK GUIDs.  There is a problem using others' macros -- unless you have the .sca file, you will have to decompile the scenery .bgl file into .xml in oirder to extract the macro coding; or, continue to use FSSC to place those macros.

Edited by sarge, 11 December 2004 - 11:12 PM.

#5 notadrater

notadrater

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:08 PM

Yeah, XML is cool. I love using it for gauges, very flexible and easy to use.

#6 WarrenGmon

WarrenGmon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:34 AM

Wow, those FPS just stuck at 24.8!

:D

#7 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:01 AM

Great job Sarge !  :D

#8 Leginmat

Leginmat

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:19 AM

Great job indeed sarge!

#9 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• 15,362 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:02 AM

excellent sarge! Can't wait to test your next batch of scenery.

#10 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:14 AM

WarrenGmon, on Dec 12 2004, 03:34 AM, said:

lol, they always stick to -0.2 of whatever you lock it to :o

:o

That loooks freaking great sarge.

#11 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:28 AM

Douglas Buis, on Dec 12 2004, 07:14 AM, said:

WarrenGmon, on Dec 12 2004, 03:34 AM, said:

lol, they always stick to -0.2 of whatever you lock it to :o
:o
That loooks freaking great sarge.
That certainly appears to be the case, at least using XML for any macros I have the .sca for; otherwise, I'm forced to use FSSC to place 3rd party macros.  BUT, as long as I can use XML for the multiple placements of a single object or FS9 default objects, that -0.2 appears to be "spot on."

The only fluctuations that have occurred with the fps are:

1.  Norton AV kicked in to do a full system scan; fps dropped to 18.8 for the duration of the scan.

2.  SpywareBlaster did it's auto-update; fps dropped to 19.9 briefly.

3.  Outlook Express did it's automatic message retrieval; fps dropped to 22.1 briefly.

4.  Real-world weather was crappy (lotsa dark rain clouds); fps dropped to 19.0 depending on which direction I was facing and how much of the clouds FS9 had to draw.

All things being equal, however, it certainly appears that there is NO heavy frame-rate hits caused by the quantity or complexity of the macros in the scenery.  It goes without saying (then why am I saying it?  :o ) that AI traffic will be the heaviest framerate killer.

This success has, however, also served to give me notice that I will need to do some studying on GMAX as well.  While I (and some other designers, I've learned) prefer FSDS2, we're a bit leary as to what Abacus' intentions will be for FS10.  They did a pretty good job of carrying FSDS from FS8 into FS9; but there's no guarantee that they'll be as quick out of the starting gate with FS10.  Until they catch up, GMAX may well be the only efficient way to design macros for future versions of Flt Sim.  Abacus may make the transition smoothly; but I'd rather be prepared ahead of time and not need it, than to bet on the "Don't Come" line and roll a seven.

#12 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:34 AM

mul, on Dec 12 2004, 07:02 AM, said:

excellent sarge! Can't wait to test your next batch of scenery.
And you KNOW you'll be the first to get your hands on it, right?   :D

@Everyone -- if you're a scenery designer, you can't find or buy a better BETA tester than this guy, Mul .... he has a test protocol that is SUPERB!!!!!!  If he ever gets into scenery design, the rest of us will need to WATCH OUT!!!!   :o

#13 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:52 AM

Mango, on Dec 12 2004, 05:01 AM, said:

Great job Sarge !  :D
Coming from the greatest screenshot artist around, I humbly accept that "thumbs up"  :o

Hopefully, I'll have some enticing sceneries for you in the coming months.  First off, for all of those who DID download my Loring International and Loring AFB, I'll be reworking them (v3.0) with this new placement process to get rid of the fps hits.  Following rather quickly on the heels of the v3.0 releases, will be Plattsburgh AFB NY, Pease AFB NH, Clark AB Philippines, Da Nang AB Vietnam (better get some "old" warhorses out because the parking spots will be for military aicraft circa 1965 - 1971 -- a little time-warp flight back into history), Diego Garcia (circa 1991), and a few others (Mango, you'll like these) like RTAFB Udorn, RTAFB Ubon, and RTAFB NKP (circa 1969).

Also, with a better feel for FSDS2, I'm looking for any and all drawings of military vehicles -- Hummers, M1A1/M1A2 Abrams, Bradly Fighting Vehicles and other personnel carriers, M60A1 and M60A3 main battle tanks, M-117 armored personnel carriers (personnel, command, and communications types), M151A1 and M151C1 jeeps, munitions trailers for bombs and missiles, munitions loader vehicles, portable lighting units, etc., to build as macros.  Will also be creating Mk-82, Mk-84, M-117 bombs, SUU and CBU dispensers, and several types of air-to-air missiles in order to create quick-turn and hot-pit-refueling areas with prepositioned munitions.

Edited by sarge, 12 December 2004 - 03:03 PM.

#14 CaptainSpeaking

CaptainSpeaking

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:06 AM

I heard some rumors that the next Version of Flight Simulator (FS10) Is on the final stages of developing scenery, which is going to be in the XML format.

The bad thing is that older sceneries will not work with FS10...

#15 Blue_Angel_Cpt

Blue_Angel_Cpt

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:48 AM

CaptainSpeaking, on Feb 26 2005, 01:06 AM, said:

I heard some rumors that the next Version of Flight Simulator (FS10) Is on the final stages of developing scenery, which is going to be in the XML format.

Your correct ive heard that too what will good and bad but theres not too much payware screnry compared to pay ware aircraft so hopefully they keep the same format with planes :D

#16 silentghost

silentghost

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:03 AM

Where did you hear this??

#17 CaptainSpeaking

CaptainSpeaking

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:26 AM

I know a friend who knows a friend that has a cousin thats the brother-in-law of a guy that works with this pizza delivery boy, which delivers pizza to a director of a respected software company that happens to know someone in the microsoft design team... :D  :o  :D

I just saw it in a discussion forum about developers... I don't remember where though... :D  :P

If someone asks you don't know anything... :D  :D

#18 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:32 AM

silentghost, on Feb 26 2005, 03:03 AM, said:

Where did you hear this??
It's a rumor floating through the scenery design community; first I heard of it was about 2 months ago.  Haven't been able to track down the source of the rumor, nor have I been able to find anything "substantial" to the rumor.  It could be just speculation .....

Personally, I don't see it happening.  First of all, Microsoft is not going to gear up to do all the enhancements that 3rd party developers have done for FS2004.  Bill Gates would need to buy an entire CITY to house the staff it would take to produce the 3D sceneries that are out there for d/l and addon.  Secondly, he'd need another city to house terrain mappers and designers to do what FSGenesis and others have produced for FS9.  That much operating expense would make the price-per-copy of FS200x sky-rocket, putting it out of reach of the average consumer.

It could happen; but I'd calculate the probability at 1.0 (anything over 0.1 is unacceptable/unlikely).

Edited by sarge, 26 February 2005 - 02:33 AM.

#19 H-NACT

H-NACT

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:42 AM

sarge, on Dec 11 2004, 10:56 PM, said:

This thread goes hand-in-hand with my other posting (with screenshots) of progress on the new design regimen.  I still can't believe it!!!!!   :D   My first experiment with XML, using my own macros, resulted in NO DROP IN THE FPS.
You locked your framerates, so a little drop caused by your scenery isn't notable. If you just unlock that option it'll be clearer what impact your scenery has to your frames.

#20 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:44 AM

H-NACT, on Mar 25 2005, 09:42 AM, said:

You locked your framerates, so a little drop caused by your scenery isn't notable. If you just unlock that option it'll be clearer what impact your scenery has to your frames.
If I unlock the framerates, I leave it up to FS9 how many system resources it wants to use .... and I'd prefer that it NOT grab 100% of the resources to work everything EXCEPT maintaining framerates.  I prefer that some resources be used to maintain an fps that is within the parameters of my eyeball-to-brain connection to process and recognize.

Unlocking the framerate will ALWAYS produce lower framerates, because FS9 is using all available resources for other tasks in FS9 instead of maintaining fps.