8 replies to this topic

#1 flyingcanuck

flyingcanuck

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:43 PM

At My home airport of Calgary international (CYYC) there are three runways, 34/16, 28/10 and 25/7. However ATC only recognizes and assigns 34/16 (the longest one), Even if I put a 30 knot direct crosswind it will still assign either runway 34 or 16.

Does anyone know why this is and how I can fix it.
Thanks

#2 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:01 PM

flyingcanuck, on Jan 22 2005, 09:43 PM, said:

At My home airport of Calgary international (CYYC) there are three runways, 34/16, 28/10 and 25/7. However ATC only recognizes and assigns 34/16 (the longest one), Even if I put a 30 knot direct crosswind it will still assign either runway 34 or 16.

Does anyone know why this is and how I can fix it.
Thanks
How do you "program" a specific meteorlogical condition in FS9?  Curious ....

Anyway, from the looks of the data on CYYC (real-world)
Runway 1: Heading 16/34, 3,863m (12,673ft), 111/F/D/W/T, Aircraft size max: B747-400, No ILS, Lighting: CAT I
Runway 2: Heading 10/28, 2,438m (7,998ft), 87/F/D/W/T, Aircraft size max: B747-400, No ILS, Lighting: CAT I
Runway 3: Heading 07/25, 1,890m (6,200ft), 87/F/D/W/T, Aircraft size max: B737, No ILS, Lighting: CAT I

It would appear that FS9 uses the longest runway available unless there are some conditions in the sim that would cause it to select one of the others.  It might also be that only 34/16 has published approach/departure routes (I don't know, I'd have to get my charts out and see, and my Canadian charts are WAY out of date).

As for being able to fix it, if it's just a matter of having a published approach/departure procedure, look in the design forums on AVSim on how to create an invisible runway with a publish approach/departure.  You do it in AFCAD, but it's complicated as all get-out.  Enough so that I haven't even looked seriously at doing it, even though I'm pretty well-versed on AFCAD for FS9.

This probably doesn't help you much, but I'm afraid that it's the limit of my knowledge on "why" FS9 does or doesn't do something ATC-wise.

#3 flyingcanuck

flyingcanuck

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:19 PM

Thanks I'll look into that.

Fyi: To customize your weather in fs9 you go to the weather selection page and click on user defined weather. Plus rwys 34,16 and 28 do have an ILS and all runways but rwy 7 have a published approach programmed in the flight simulator GPS.

#4 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:42 PM

flyingcanuck, on Jan 22 2005, 11:19 PM, said:

Thanks I'll look into that.

Fyi: To customize your weather in fs9 you go to the weather selection page and click on user defined weather. Plus rwys 34,16 and 28 do have an ILS and all runways but rwy 7 have a published approach programmed in the flight simulator GPS.
That's very interesting about the ILS's .... the data I highlighted came right off of the CYYC information webpage.  Some airports REALLY need to update their websites!!!!!

As an airport/airdrome/airbase designer, if I was going to rework CYYC, I'd research everything about the place on the net .... then do the work.  I'm finding more and more, however, that the websites for a LOT of airports just aren't current, though -- and that will cause a poor design.

#5 flyingcanuck

flyingcanuck

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:54 PM

Hmm thats pretty interesting, I thought that it was just recently updated

#6 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

flyingcanuck, on Jan 23 2005, 12:54 AM, said:

Hmm thats pretty interesting, I thought that it was just recently updated
As of today:

http://www.the-airpo...t.php?icao=CYYC

All three runways still listed as "NO" for ILS.

#7 flyingcanuck

flyingcanuck

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:48 AM

Sorry I havn't replied lately but I was on vacation for a week in lovely Puerto Vallarta. The flight there was good but coming back we had some moderate turbulence from about an hour after take off all the way to Calgary (3 and a half hours-I spilled my pop all over my bun!).

I'm not sure what's going on with the ILS anymore, thats really weird.

Anyways I still have to look into it so I'll talk to you later.

#8 flyingcanuck

flyingcanuck

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

Well I think I'll just give up, it's way too much work.

Anyways if anyone else who reads this has any information it would be greatly appreciated :D

#9 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:30 PM

flyingcanuck, on Feb 13 2005, 07:29 PM, said:

Well I think I'll just give up, it's way too much work.

Anyways if anyone else who reads this has any information it would be greatly appreciated :D
I am yet to test my afcad for Calgary (Home airport also) but I will let you know :o