6 replies to this topic

#1 Massestar

Massestar

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:10 PM

Does anyone remember that thread that told you how to program the AP to fly on the gps path and land?

#2 Evan321

Evan321

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:08 PM

Set NAV1 and NAV2 freq. to the runway, turn AP on and press approach hold. Should work.

#3 boeing_737

boeing_737

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:19 AM

I think it won't land , although it will lead to to a point from where you can take control and land the plane.

#4 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:54 AM

It will keep you parallel to the runway centerline, you still need to maintain backpressure and speed, but you need to disengage autopilot at about 200 ft, or 100 ft behind the runway, or it will continue course hold and go toward the holding area.

Edited by Douglas Buis, 22 February 2005 - 04:54 AM.

#5 HPNPilot1200

HPNPilot1200

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:12 AM

You probably want the AP to land ILS, not GPS because ILS's Glideslope is a bunch easier to fly.

Tune the ILS frequency to the NAV1.  Make sure that your switch is set on NAV and NOT GPS.  Say you are shooting the ILS 34 at KHPN.  I tune in 109.70 into NAV1.  ATC later decends me to 2,500 ft. and puts me on an intercept heading of 010 degrees.  HDG and ALT should be selected on the autopilot.  Once you are on the intercept heading, make sure you press NAV, but after HDG hold is on.  I also have my CRS (OBS) set on 342 degrees.

This will keep you on the intercept heading until the localizer needle becomes active.  Once it's active it will automatically turn inbound for you.  Once I hit CLUBY I start my glideslope decent.  I DO NOT hit APPR until I reach CLUBBY otherwise it will climb to catch the glideslope too far out.

When you hit APPR, make sure all the other functions on the AP turn off so it is ONLY APPR.

When you reach your dececion height you can make the decesion to go missed or stay on the approach.  The GPS makes the missed approach a lot less aqward so I reccomend setting that up initially for the approach as a cross reference.

The glideslope will take you just about to the VASI lights.  While say 200 feet from the runway threshold, turn the autopilot off (z) and take control of the aircraft and land it.

Edited by HPNPilot1200, 22 February 2005 - 07:14 AM.

#6 Massestar

Massestar

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:15 PM

I remember how to land, but there was a tutorial where you set everything in your gps before you even fly and if you do everything right your plane will fly right along that pink line the whole way. Then you do all of that landing stuff. It was pretty cool  :D

#7 Crezzy.

Crezzy.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:05 AM

Autolanding

I think thats the one you mean...

there are also a couple more here

Peaboy  :D