#1 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

Relief for flight simulation fans has arrived in the form of a must-have terrain expansion for Flight Simulator 2004/2002. FS Global SE enhances the landscape of the entire world with over 12GB of new data.

Every mountain and valley in the Flight Simulator world is defined by data which is used to display the ups and downs of the ground and the term used for this data is ‘mesh terrain'. The default mesh that comes with Flight Simulator is, by necessity, of a fairly low level of detail and is open to improvement. FS Global is the only mesh scenery package that covers the whole world at a level of detail 16 times higher than most of the default scenery in Flight Simulator.

• This Special Edition on DVD-ROM weighs in with a massive 12 (yes, twelve) Gigabytes of data and has an enhanced installer to allow users to choose how much of the world they want to update.
• The software uses SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) data to bring relief to flight simulation enthusiasts
• Most other terrain mesh products stop at 60 degrees North and 56 degrees South (the limit of the Space Shuttle survey), but FS Global SE also provides improved terrain data for the areas above and below these latitudes!
• A unique ‘Double Render' system means that the virtual pilot's view of areas in the distance is greatly improved over the default
• FS Global SE is fully programmed to work with the updated 9.1 version of Flight Simulator 2004.
• Owners of FS Global 2005 can upgrade their copies to SE specification for free at the Support section of www.justflight.com

Release Date - April 8, 2005
Suggested Retail Price - £34.99/€52.95/$52.99
Website - http://www.justflight.com

#2 Bolton_Whites

Bolton_Whites

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:38 AM

Looks great but with me only having a 64mb card will it slow the games performance down?

Because when i fly on full graphics my game slows right down :D
Anybody any views?

#3 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:38 AM

I have Global Mesh and it really has no effect on FPS.

It only changes the terrain elevation, not the detail so it shouldnt be anymore of a problem than you already have.

#4 Bolton_Whites

Bolton_Whites

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:00 AM

Ok cheers
I might look into buying it, with the money being tight i was thinking of waiting till the new Fs comes out but with Microsoft not giving any clues away about the new Fs if there is one lol i might go out and buy it :D

Looks good

#5 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

I dunno, I might buy it!

#6 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:06 AM

According to the Just Flight press release, the minimum hardware requirements will be:

Just Flight said:

Multimedia PC with Pentium III 1.7GHz (equivalent or higher) processor, 256Mb RAM, graphics card with 32Mb (or higher) video memory, DVD-ROM drive, minimum screen resolution 1024 X 768, Hard disk space TBA.

This update will result in more polygons being displayed on-screen, but AFAIK this won't be a major hit on graphics memory.  If anything it would push the GPU more (CPU of the graphics card).  I really wouldn't expect a large performance drop.  Have you ever tried any of the FSGenesis upgrades?  I would expect the performance hit to be similar (small).

#7 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:55 AM

Mountain ranges look much better from very far in the distance because of some special technique Global uses (double rendering or something).  There is no pop up when you get close to the mountains.  

There is a great website where you click a default pic of scenery and it switches it to what Global scenery looks like, check it out here, options are at the top of the screen.

http://fsglobal2005.com/

#8 ucantcme

ucantcme

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

Dr...Watson, on Apr 8 2005, 09:55 AM, said:

Mountain ranges look much better from very far in the distance because of some special technique Global uses (double rendering or something).  There is no pop up when you get close to the mountains.  

There is a great website where you click a default pic of scenery and it switches it to what Global scenery looks like, check it out here, options are at the top of the screen.

http://fsglobal2005.com/
Nice find! :D

#9 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:29 AM

Bolton Whites, if you are struggling to find a copy try here

www.rcsimulations.com

You prob know of that web site already though, they have nearly every addon ever made for FS9.

#10 Bolton_Whites

Bolton_Whites

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

Cheers Dr

Like other users i sadly have to fly useing a laptop computer
Spec
2600 CPU
60 GIG
512 RAM
64 MB VIDEO CARD
ATI Radeon 3200

I have never put any of JUST FLIGHT add ons on my computer, but have aircraft add ons and taxi ways run ways, sea add ons so i should be fine really, cant wait to get a better graphics card, new pc then lol

thanks for the site :D

Edited by Bolton_Whites, 08 April 2005 - 03:35 PM.

#11 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:17 PM

Justflight sent me an email about a week ago offering to donate a free copy for the Screenshot Contest on my website, I'm not sure if they are only shipping the free ones to Europe though, i'll have to ask them.

#12 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:28 PM

They sent us one and we're in the States, so that shouldn't be a problem. :D

#13 Captain

Captain

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:07 AM

After looking at the screenshots, I have to say it looks good.

Putting this one on my want-to-have-list   :D

On fsglobal2005.com there is a small Demo of this addon.

Her is a DEMO Version! It covers a small part of South America and clearly shows the differences to other mesh sceneries when you overfly the border. It comes with three flight situations to place you where you want to be ... :-)

Edited by Captain, 09 April 2005 - 04:11 AM.

#14 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:44 PM

I had the demo on a pc magazine, it really doenst show off its true potential very well, it looks good but they could have choosen a better area.

Does any one know what this latest version has that the original didn't have?

#15 Bolton_Whites

Bolton_Whites

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

Just got my hand in my pocket and bought world airports two from just flight, its great and runs fine on my computer 64mb :D

Anybody else got this software and got any tips on it for me :thumbsup:
Just need this piece of software now, scenery

#16 Captain

Captain

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

Yesterday I went into a computer story here in town to get new ink for my printer.
As always when I'm in that store, I looked round to whats new.

There I saw FS global 2005 and some other addons for FS9.
This morning I went back to the shop and bought FS global 2005 and the Flight1 ATR 72-500.

After an 1 1/2h of installing 12GB of mesh, I finally was able to run FS9.
ALthough it contains only mesh and no new textures, FS9 isn't the same anymore for me. :D
I went cruising over the grand canyon, in the Swiss alps and I have to say it looks much better.

This evening I took a F-14 and went to fly over the Himalaya's, and it was great.
Had to climb to FL300 to just cross some mountains, most go beyond FL200.
I didn't fly long enough to see how much impact this mesh has on my resources.
But while flying it didn't have any impact on my fps, at most I lost 1 fps.

Well I will be posting some SS in the Screenshot forum soon.  :thumbsup:

#17 Bolton_Whites

Bolton_Whites

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

Have any of you got World Airports two?

Captain have you?

Anybody know if the buses and coaches are in the software, i cant seem to find them on the disc, or is it another addon, because on the back cover it shows coaches and so on :D

Cheers