#1 Cheech

Cheech

formerly flyguy9eye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:07 PM

Advanced Frames in Macromedia Fireworks FX

Step One: Create a Basic Frame using my other tutorial.

Posted Image

Step Two: Choose a texture that will actually look good with extra things hanging off here and there. For this tutorial I chose the leafy pattern.

Posted Image

Step Three: Extra Stuff Hanging Off

Basically, you repeat the same texture for your frame, over and over and over. This causes an overlay of textures that Fireworks doesn't like, therefore it creates "broken" textures that make little things hang off the edge of your frame, and when done right, they look great! For this one, I had to combine a few different things to make it look right, and change a few settings. The screenshots show me doing this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Make sure that when repeating the same texture over and over, you click near the OUTER EDGE of the frame, otherwise you will get an unwanted effect, shown here:

Yuck!
Posted Image

In that case, simply Undo the change, and click near the outer edge to get the wanted effect.

Posted Image

It will get bigger...

Posted Image

And bigger...

Posted Image

Until you are happy with the effect. You can also remove the bevel on the frame if you don't like how it looks but clicking on the frame, selecting (from the bottom right corner) the bevel, and clicking on the Edit - (minus) button.

Posted Image

Now go ahead and play around with your frames, see what kind of effects you can master and create.

I hope this tutorial helps those who want to make nice frames (*cough Mango cough*) :D

Enjoy!!

(The image used in this tutorial for examples [Apache] are taken and edited by me and appear blurry because they are zoomed out)

Thanks goes to Macromedia for making this great editing tool!

(Please let me know if I made some kind of mistake!!)