5 replies to this topic

#1 Vlad

Vlad

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:08 PM

Today I did a fresh reinstall of FS9, and without any addons, just a clean FS9, I decided to mess around with the FS9.cfg and got great results! :D

Here are my current settings (No AI traffic whatsoever) and my PC specs are in my profile:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My testing place was KLAX, runway 07L, visibility 20 miles, summer - day, in the default Cessna 182.

First of all I tried setting TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=300, the textures did load instantly, but there were microstutters -> FPS dropped to the teens for a couple of milliseconds at a time (around 15FPS). So then I set TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=200 and that got rid of microstuttering -> FPS didn't go lower than 27!

Then I messed with TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS and TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS, and by setting the value to 9.000000 for both, FPS started dropping to around 22-24 (microstutters), then I set both values to 0.000000, and to my surprise, FPS did not go lower than 29! THey wer jumping between 29.5 - 46 - 53.... mostly in the 40's. I decided to lock the FPS to 31, and now they remain in the 30.2-30.8 margin! Except in VC they jump between 28-30, but I don't mind :D Even at KJFK FPS stayed between 28-30FPS in the same weather and plane. I am so happy because before I was getting 15-23FPS.

Thanks for reading, and if you can give me more suggestions-comments-tweaks on how to improve my simming experience, they will be greatly appreciated! :D

*I read a couple of posts here about tweaking, and want to thank Mango, Neil and others that have posted these tweaks*

Edited by Vlad, 21 July 2005 - 02:12 PM.

#2 kewlceo

kewlceo

Download Manager\Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:19 PM

One thing that Heiko has pounded into my head is that once you get the visual look and feel that you are going for, do the following:

Set target frame rate to unlimited, then go into the sim and use your favorite plane and note some FPS readings on the ground, above the city, and at altitude. Get an average FPS rate, deduct 1-2 FPS, and set that as your locked target frame rate. In other words, if your average was 27, then lock at 25.

#3 Vlad

Vlad

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:26 PM

kewlceo, on Jul 21 2005, 02:19 PM, said:

One thing that Heiko has pounded into my head is that once you get the visual look and feel that you are going for, do the following:

Set target frame rate to unlimited, then go into the sim and use your favorite plane and note some FPS readings on the ground, above the city, and at altitude. Get an average FPS rate, deduct 1-2 FPS, and set that as your locked target frame rate. In other words, if your average was 27, then lock at 25.
Will do. Thanks Kewlceo! :D

#4 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

Want to see low/high/average FPS?

<MAIN> --Square Brackets--
Location=316,222,964,756
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
Maximized=0
Ave_Frame_Rate_Display=1 <-- Add this line

Save the file and exit.

A small quote from the Tips & Tricks  :D

Well, with Terrain Mesh complexity @ 0 and no Autogen it looks quiet flat, does it ?  :D

#5 Majestyk

Majestyk

Contest Host

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:58 PM

WOW!! sounds like you got some great results :D Congrats :D

#6 Vlad

Vlad

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:15 PM

Mango, on Jul 21 2005, 10:41 PM, said:

Want to see low/high/average FPS?

<MAIN> --Square Brackets--
Location=316,222,964,756
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
Maximized=0
Ave_Frame_Rate_Display=1 <-- Add this line

Save the file and exit.

A small quote from the Tips & Tricks  :D

Well, with Terrain Mesh complexity @ 0 and no Autogen it looks quiet flat, does it ?  :D
Yeah but I don't really care as I fly PMDG and LevelD. I don't fly VFR. I put scenery complexity to max beacuse I like to see the downtown of the cities. Thanks for the FPS trick! :D

Edited by Vlad, 21 July 2005 - 11:16 PM.