44 replies to this topic

#41 avalon

avalon

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

Anyone here had any luck lapping their cpu?  I know that this depends a lot on the individual cpu and that it can vary, but is it worth the trouble?

#42 flyhalf

flyhalf

Orville Reincarnate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

I agree cooling RAM and hard drives is a little over the top, but it's done. Put that money into the drive and RAM itself.

#43 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,362 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

View Postavalon, on Aug 10 2009, 05:26 AM, said:

Anyone here had any luck lapping their cpu?  I know that this depends a lot on the individual cpu and that it can vary, but is it worth the trouble?

Generally, no. Ultimately it depends on how flat (or rather how "not so flat") your processor's heatspreader is. In extreme circumstances, a processor may leave the production line with a rather curved heatspreader resulting in temperatures that are still within Intel's spec at stock speeds but unacceptable as a starting point for us overclockers. In these situations, lapping the base of a processor makes sense, while otherwise the difference may only be a matter of a few degrees here and there. :hrmm:

#44 avalon

avalon

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

View PostMul., on Aug 11 2009, 08:06 PM, said:

View Postavalon, on Aug 10 2009, 05:26 AM, said:

Generally, no. Ultimately it depends on how flat (or rather how "not so flat") your processor's heatspreader is. In extreme circumstances, a processor may leave the production line with a rather curved heatspreader resulting in temperatures that are still within Intel's spec at stock speeds but unacceptable as a starting point for us overclockers. In these situations, lapping the base of a processor makes sense, while otherwise the difference may only be a matter of a few degrees here and there. :hrmm:

Hey, but just a couple of degrees can mean a lot to some overclockers   :hrmm: .    Ive also seen amazing mirror finishes on some of these that make it about more than just being merely flat.  Seems like that alone would add considerably to the heat dissipation.

#45 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:56 AM

Again it depends on how far you want to push your CPU. Realistically, unless you're on the bleeding edge of what your processor is capable of, a small temperature drop is unlikely to help all that much. The mirror finishes certainly look the part and if you feel like giving it a try then I wouldn't stop you as such, but I would suggest doing it with the mindset that the gains could be minimal to avoid disappointment.