38 replies to this topic

#1 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

I have seen many people asking “what settings should I use with this rig?”. Which is impossible to answer because of things like Norton anti-virus etc taking up system resources.

So here is a step by step guide to setting up your FS Graphics settings.

1. Set Everything to minimum and take out all the ticks (best to start with a blank slate).

2. In the options for your graphic card you will find Anti-Aliasing. This will make diagonal edges on the screen less jaggy/stepped.

For slow computers set this to 0x and for medium to fast rigs maximum (many cards have different maximum settings) is usually good. any computers between fast and slow can use a value half way along the slider

3. You will also see Anisotropic filtering. In short this makes your textures look better.

Set this slider so it is level with tho AA slider.

Now exit this screen by pressing OK to save the settings.

4. Start FS, start a flight with your favorite aircraft and go to a fairly busy airport.

5. Now set your AI traffic so you see an amount of aircraft that you are happy with.

Alt > Options > Settings > Traffic...

6. Go into Alt > Options > Settings > Display > Hardware (Tab)) and:
  • Set your target Framerate to a level you would be happy with (most of us use between 20 and 30) NEVER EVER SET IT TO UNLIMITED!
  • Put a tick in Transform and Lighting
  • Set MIP-Mapping quality to ether 4 or 5. NEVER MAX THIS, IT'S POINTLESS TO DO SO!
  • Set Hardware rendered light as high as you think your system will take with good FPS (the higher it is the better runway lights etc look.
  • Set Global Max Texture Size to Massive, this is just a limiter which after this guide is followed will be pointless.
  • Set the display resolution to the same as your desktop x32
  • The filtering sets how smoothly the MIP-MAP layers are separated. If you see lines on the textures as an item gets farther away use a higher level. This is actually irrelevant if you're using Anisotropic Filtering at all.
7.Now set the Graphics settings (Alt > Options > Settings > Display) as high as you think you can get away with using this guide:

Posted Image
1.This is the quality of touchdown smoke, downdraft dust etc. If you have jerky FPS when landing a helicopter choose a low setting here.
2.This is the number of polygons in hills and the lay of the land. If you like your low flying this is one to push.
3. This is the quality of the ground textures. you'll want to play with this until you like it.
4. This boosts the detail on the ground or the ground and water (for moving waves)
5. This is a second way of including water detail in the previous setting for if you want detail (moving waves) on water but not land.
6. This prevents night turning into day in a nanosecond (on the ground textures that is). But hits FPS at dawn and dusk.
7. This boosts the quality of the terrain textures bit more.
8. This sets how many "manually placed" scenery objects you want to see.
9. This sets how many "automatically placed" scenery objects you want to see.
10. this lets you set your addon scenery settings differently from the above, just leave this for now.
11.This lets you decide whether or not the scenery casts shadows (big FPS hit) (your plane has this setting elsewhere).
12. When you point at the sun it gets harder to see with this.
13. This makes those camera lens effects at the sun.

Posted Image
1. Sets how clear gauges will appear in the virtual cockpit.
2. Sets whether items of scenery have a light reflection on the air crafts body (needed for the polished effect under the 737).
3. Sets whether you see your own shadow on the ground.
4. Sets whether the lights on your aircraft can light up the ground beneath you.

Posted Image
1. This is how far you can see on a perfectly clear day (big FPS hit, i think slightly limited visibility is more realistic for my flights when i choose weather (real world of course))
2. this is how far away the farthest clouds will be. You may want to prioritise this for high altitude flights but it is a big FPS hit.
3.This sets how far away FS goes from rendering 3D clouds to rendering 2D clouds. 100% gives you ALL 3D clouds.
4.This sets whether you even want to use 3D clouds. Simple for 2D only, detailed for 3D enabled.
5.How many clouds you want (big FPS hit but you will need it quite high for overcast weather).

8.Now press OK and return to flying.

9. Press Shift + Z twice and you will see your current Frames Per Second.
At the bust airport it should be within a few of the limit.

If it is on the limit feel free to boost some settings up or raise the FPS limiter a bit.

If it is more than a few below the limit do one of 4 things:
  • Lower the FPS limiter
  • Lower the FS display settings
  • Lower the Anti-Aliasing/Anisotropic Filtering settings
  • if all else fails try a smaller screen resolution
It's your choice which to do.

Once you have the highest settings you can get at decent FPS you are done!  :D

Remember not every PC can run good quality at good FPS. It's not the end of the world if yours is one of these. Neil and Mul have some good guides on speeding up your PC a tad (some void the warentee some don't). Or you could just upgrade if you can afford to.

If you have max settings and can still take more Mango has found a few soft mods which boost the settings bit more.

If you are interested the settings in the screenshots are from my laptop (see sig) and if you have a similar rig these settings may work for you.

Feel Free to Add more or shout "You're wrong!" or more likely "Your spelling is atrocious!"

Good luck (although I accept no responsibility if you make a mess of it)
Bracken

NOTE: information regarding the best way to get AA to work right is likely to be irrelevant with the more modern graphics solutions and drivers.

Edited by PiP, 23 July 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#2 Speedbird_one

Speedbird_one

formerly 01hthochr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:23 PM

great Idea :D

p.s will post when used these settings

Edited by 01hthochr, 20 October 2005 - 01:25 PM.

#3 [V1]-[VR]-[V2]

[V1]-[VR]-[V2]

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:36 PM

its shift + Z for frames :D

#4 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

[V1]-[VR]-[V2], on Oct 20 2005, 07:36 PM, said:

its shift + Z for frames :D
oops, your right, I'll let an admin edit that. After 15mins.
Ctrl+Z is autopilot.

#5 hazza

hazza

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:12 PM

thanks great help! should I tick the AA box in the hardware section of Fs as well?

#6 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:32 PM

hazza, on Oct 20 2005, 09:12 PM, said:

thanks great help! should I tick the AA box in the hardware section of Fs as well?
NO, it will kill your FPS

#7 luftya340-600

luftya340-600

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:07 PM

this topic should be pinned in my opinion  :D  :D

#8 Chaos81

Chaos81

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for all this. Going to have to try some stuff when I get home tonight.

I agree, should be pinned.

#9 hazza

hazza

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

yeah pin it ,realy good info

#10 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:15 PM

could this be moved to the tutorials section?

#11 PieEater

PieEater

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:11 PM

Why is this not Sticky?

#12 moey11

moey11

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:39 AM

thank you, it has answered one of my past questions finally!!!!

#13 Captainmk

Captainmk

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:58 AM

Nice, very helpful tutorial you got there :D

#14 slick

slick

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:45 AM

Very useful.   :D  Yep, definitely should be pinned.  :D

#15 Reckoner

Reckoner

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:28 PM

i'll just add one thing i found very very useful to me, in your 3d card options, make the  vertical sync always off,not even application controlled,my FPS jumped like crazy when i did that by luck(my 3d card is hercules 9700) ,btw.. excellent tutorial, should be pinned.

edit: setting the FPS limiter to unlimited is not always a bad thing, i think it depends on your hardware, for me it works better if its unlimited, but if u find that textures takes long time to load then u're better off limiting your FPS, coz the cpu will focus more on doing other things than just trying to get the max FPS (correct me if im wrong),i hope this helps  :D .

Edited by rollonu, 24 October 2005 - 01:36 PM.

#16 kevinti

kevinti

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:36 PM

rollonu, on Oct 24 2005, 01:28 PM, said:

i'll just add one thing i found very very useful to me, in your 3d card options, make the  vertical sync always off,not even application controlled,my FPS jumped like crazy when i did that by luck(my 3d card is hercules 9700) ,btw.. excellent tutorial, should be pinned.
Ya! I second that!  :D  The Vertical Sync should be always OFF in fs9! Well done! :D

#17 PieEater

PieEater

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

kevinti, on Oct 24 2005, 01:36 PM, said:

rollonu, on Oct 24 2005, 01:28 PM, said:

i'll just add one thing i found very very useful to me, in your 3d card options, make the  vertical sync always off,not even application controlled,my FPS jumped like crazy when i did that by luck(my 3d card is hercules 9700) ,btw.. excellent tutorial, should be pinned.
Ya! I second that!  :D  The Vertical Sync should be always OFF in fs9! Well done! :D
I imagine you don't have a TFT screen then !!!! If you have a TFT screen and don't have V-Synch on then you will probably suffer with image tearing, unless your graphics card is poor.

#18 kewlceo

kewlceo

Download Manager\Contributor

• Contributor
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:02 PM

Well done Bracken. :D

#19 kevinti

kevinti

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:11 AM

Opps! you guys are right! TFT with V Sync ON and CRT probabdly should be OFF bearing in mind of your card's type for that matter! Sorry for the mistake! :D

Edited by kevinti, 25 October 2005 - 12:19 AM.

#20 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:31 AM

Bumped this up, should be a sticky, great for noobydoos and gettin old folk like me.