9 replies to this topic

#1 ibrahim

ibrahim

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:38 AM

Hallo Guy... I am now planning to go for payware quality scenery.. but i want to Know what the diffrent between payware and freeware scenery ???  :D And How to get a payware quality scenery ??? Please reply ok.  :D

Edited by ibrahim, 26 October 2005 - 08:42 AM.

#2 Skydvdan

Skydvdan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:14 AM

Everyones opinion of payware quality seems to be different.  So that isn't an easy question to answer.  I'd say one of the ingredients is time.  Your usually not going to get a payware quality product overnight.  My Tucson Photoreal project for example, I've been working on since the spring this year.  I've had several people tell me that it's payware quality on my forum.  I personally don't think it is.

Edited by Skydvdan, 26 October 2005 - 09:17 AM.

#3 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:23 AM

One thing that can have an effect is whether you had to spend any money to make it. I consider my Madiera scenery to be freeware because all the sources I used were freely available on the internet. As a result its not *totally* accurate. Once I took that next step such as buying charts and aerial photos, or actually flying out there to take photos for textures, to get that extra level of accuracy, I would charge for it.

#4 Skydvdan

Skydvdan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:30 AM

I somewhat agree with that.  But there are quite a few quality payware sceneries that the author's didn't spend a dime.  The pics were free from users that submitted them, GMAX is free, and so are the rest of the tools used to make them.  But if I did spend money I would want to try to get it back somehow...probably by charging for it.  BTW, mine is also freeware. :D

Edited by Skydvdan, 26 October 2005 - 09:33 AM.

#5 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

One of the best things is to ask yourself "Would *you* pay money for it?"

#6 ibrahim

ibrahim

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:44 AM

Thank for fast reply guy.. How about Vertices of the scenery Max 30000 Vertices or more than that ??? Usually Payware is lot of vertices and sometime it become FPs eater. :D  What a best vertical for a Scenery ??? How about Texture ??? Photoreal or painted textured ??? How about design on 3D max ???

#7 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:34 PM

ibrahim, on Oct 26 2005, 11:44 AM, said:

Thank for fast reply guy.. How about Vertices of the scenery Max 30000 Vertices or more than that ??? Usually Payware is lot of vertices and sometime it become FPs eater. :)  What a best vertical for a Scenery ??? How about Texture ??? Photoreal or painted textured ??? How about design on 3D max ???
It depends on what you're looking for.

Frame-rate friendly is often the first sacrifice made in payware products, as the drive is for detail and completeness.  The more polygons in a scenery, the less frame-rate friendly it's going to be.  This is also true, however, in many freeware sceneries.

First, define what you want in the scenery:
:D Nice, rich crisp textures?
:D Animations?
:) Lots of buildings, trees, and vehicles?

Then, start looking for reviews of both payware and freeware designers and their products.  You will find some freeware designers with enhanced detail and completeness of airports that are still frame-rate friendly; you'll also find some that require a CRAY supercomputer to get any kind of performance out of the sytem they're on.  Same thing for payware ... some are better suited to that CRAY, but some are designed with FPS hits in mind and the impact is minimized.

Edited by sarge, 26 October 2005 - 01:35 PM.

#8 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:34 PM

So I had a semi-random question about payware scenery...

a lot of the tools you can use to make FS are free.  For example, Ground2k4, GMAX, AFCAD2, LWMViewer, etc etc.

If you use these free tools are you allowed to make payware with them?  Or do these creators put limits in their EULAs where you can't make payware on these free tools unless you liscence them commercially?  Take Slartiblartfast for example.  It is free but if you wanted to make payware you had to liscence it.  I don't knwo what happened to Slarti but that was what the creator said about it when he released it...

Ruahrc

#9 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:08 PM

Good point. It may be an idea to read all the EULAs of the apps you use. Gmax I know can be used to make payware.

#10 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:34 PM

TechnicolorYawn, on Oct 26 2005, 07:08 PM, said:

Good point. It may be an idea to read all the EULAs of the apps you use. Gmax I know can be used to make payware.
Correct; and I don't believe MS put any restrictions on the _SDK's either.  (They're a pain in the ###### to learn, but there's some good work that can be done with them.)

Good advice, TCY -- if in doubt, read the EULAs.