Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:56 AM

Remember the Past, Imagine the Future
December 13, 2003

Well, Saturday was a busy day for us.  I arrived at Brad's house at 2:30 this morning (well, yesterday morning now - it's nearly 1:00am Sunday as I write this), then at 7:00 we got up to head to Kitty Hawk (airshow starting at 10:00).  Got there just as the show was starting - the flat terrain made it possible to see the planes from miles away!

Parking was easy, at least today - we found a spot behind a utility building across the street and one block down from the main entrance to the Wright Brother's Memorial.  We still had all our luggage in the cars, so we didn't want to leave it in a bad parking area.  The main road through Kitty Hawk has police and military personnel everywhere (some with M-16s) handling security and traffic flow, which should peak on December 16 and 17.  There is a good chance that President Bush will be in attendance on Dec 17, so I'm sure they are being extra cautious.

The first thing we noticed when we got inside the park were all the temporary buildings set up everywhere.  It'll take forever to look at everything!  One of the buildings is climate controlled and houses the soon to be donated Wright Flyer Replica (with over a million US dollars spent on the project, it is sure to be quite true to the original).  We haven't even had time to look at it yet - there were so many other things going on today.  The Wright Brothers Memorial Monument is atop a hill in the center of the park; around this hill there are dozens of planes and other exhibits, including an F-16 (using the zooms on our cameras we could see people climbing into the cockpit).  Tomorrow if the rain holds off we'll get some up-close photos.  From the monument at the top of the hill we got a lot of great video footage of the flybys which we'll be posting clips of at a later date :P  

Here's a photo of the Wright Brothers monument - it's a lot taller than it looks!  More pictures of it coming later...
Posted Image

From the top of Monument Hill I got a good shot of the area that has been cordoned off for the reenactment site - they have even groomed it to look just like it did 100 years ago!  In the following picture you can see the reenactment site as well as a few of the planes that are lined up around Monument Hill:
Posted Image

Shortly after we arrived at the park, the Beach Boys concert began (pictured below).  Tomorrow the Temptations are singing, although with the heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast I'm not sure how much will actually happen as planned tomorrow.  
Posted Image

The wind convinced us to duck indoors a few times to check out the exhibits.  Apparently everybody else had the same thought because it was quite difficult to capture some of the exhibits on film because of all the bystanders.  I did get a good shot of the Wright Flyer Replica that will be flown on the 17th:
Posted Image

At 2:30pm we headed back outdoors and to the top of Monument Hill to watch the second airshow of the day featuring a few older planes, starting with an Extra 300 :o  We didn't take any photos, but captured just about everything on digital video.  Since we had rolled into town without checking into our rental house, we didn't dig the tripods out of the cars today.  The rest of the week the video footage should be a lot smoother than what we captured today, although we did get some great clips ;)

Well, it's now 4:30am and we have to be up in a few hours (festivities are starting at 10:00 with an airshow B)).  We'll be back with more photos (and maybe a short video clip?) tonight...

Brad and Jon
Kitty Hawk, NC

#2 Grogs

Grogs

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 06:12 AM

Sweet!!  Take Lots Of Pics and Videos [could you please make shure that they are compatiable with windows media player, most of us have it]!  :o  good luck and be safe,  well don't do anything stupid.  How much of a drive was it?  and where are you two?

Good Luck!

Edited by Sean~LetsFlyTwo~Banks, 14 December 2003 - 06:19 AM.

#3 Robin.

Robin.

Contributor\Download Manager\formerly Robin.B

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 06:17 AM

WOW!!!!!!!! I really would like to be there!!!!!!!! YoU're really lucky I hope you'll be able to get loads of pics I can'T wait until the 17th!!! :o

#4 alio

alio

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 06:34 AM

looks amazing, i wish i could be there even though it looks a bit cold :o, have fun and ill look forward to seeing some video fotage :P

#5 PSYCHO

PSYCHO

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 07:05 AM

haha from the second picture i can see where i hurt my toe! awesome pictures! i bet they are on 56k ew...... uploading vid's would almost be impossible... haha

#6 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:21 AM

yay! theres my close up of the wright flyer  :o

#7 PSYCHO

PSYCHO

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:40 AM

better then a close up of the "wrong flyer" hahhaha sorry bad joke... haha

#8 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 03:50 PM

i guess no GE90's at the celebration

#9 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:26 PM

maybe the 777-300ER will fly by too.

#10 funtown34

funtown34

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:42 PM

Nice photos there guys. And you're right about "Wright Brothers monument - it's a lot taller than it looks!". The people look like little specs standing next to the monument.

#11 ForD_MusTanG 2005

ForD_MusTanG 2005

formerly HyperActive2005

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts
  • Location:new york city (staten island) KEWR newark intl (new jersey) is the closest airport to me

Posted 14 December 2003 - 08:45 PM

1 ?...jon y did u go to brads house if u live in sc?? :o :P B) brad should have went to your house

#12 UltimatePilotAce

UltimatePilotAce

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 10:46 PM

The day comes closer!

#13 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 11:29 PM

Sean~LetsFlyTwo~Banks, on Dec 14 2003, 06:12 AM, said:

Sweet!!  Take Lots Of Pics and Videos [could you please make shure that they are compatiable with windows media player, most of us have it]!  B)  good luck and be safe,  well don't do anything stupid.  How much of a drive was it?  and where are you two?
Yep, any videos we release will work with Media Player (although if you don't have the DivX codec you may have to download that first - we'll provide a download link so it won't be a hassle).  DivX allows us to post high-resolution videos that are quite small and make for easy downloads.  

The drive was 9 hours for me and 3 hours for Brad (the last 3 hours we travelled together).  Glad that trip is over :blink:  We're staying in Duck, which is about 15 miles north of Kitty Hawk yet still on the island.  There was a stiff premium ($300 extra in most cases) to stay close by the event, but it would have been nice - yesterday several people were on their decks across the street from the memorial watching the airshow. :huh:

i bet they are on 56k ew...... uploading vid's would almost be impossible... haha
Yep, 56k, but it's a good connection (getting 50.6kbps currently) and hasn't hung up on us since last night, so I think we'll be able to post some small videos soon ;)  The big videos will have to wait til we get back (we have some editing to do anyway) :o

i guess no GE90's at the celebration...maybe the 777-300ER will fly by too.
No, didn't see any GE90's, but we're watching for engines for you B)  And if a 777 is going to fly by I'll need a wide angle lens to capture it :P

1 ?...jon y did u go to brads house if u live in sc??    brad should have went to your house
It only added about an hour and a half to the trip for me to swing by Brad's.  I'm pretty far west in South Carolina.

#14 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 11:44 PM

i bet the airshow had jets....

ive been thru Duck, NC.  while going along the outer banks

Edited by COA-7E7, 14 December 2003 - 11:44 PM.

#15 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:51 AM

COA-7E7, on Dec 14 2003, 11:44 PM, said:

i bet the airshow had jets....
No jets in that one but we're hoping tomorrow's has them. :o

#16 tym2av8

tym2av8