Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 11:37 PM

Remember the Past, Imagine the Future
December 14, 2003

Well, when they say it's going to rain on the coast, they aren't kidding.  We got 2-3 inches of rain last night and today!  No airshows today since there was no ceiling, but we took the opportunity to nearly drown ourselves to get to the indoor exhibits.  I must say, I haven't seen rain like that in years - the walk from the car to the indoors area was close to a mile, and by the time we got there our umbrellas were useless and our shoes were reduced to heavy sponges.  Driving rain and stiff winds required us to hold our umbrellas out in front of us in a weak attempt at diverting the "sideways rain."  As I write this our shoes are hanging above the fireplace, hopefully to be dry by bedtime.

About the time we left the rain had slowed to a drizzle, but everything will be soggy for a few days probably:
Posted Image

These guys were dressed for the occasion a little better than us :P
Posted Image

Our reckless abandonment of comfort paid off though when we finally got inside the pavilion and found just a handful of people milling around.  We got some good shots of stuff we had a hard time getting close to yesterday.  Once again we had to delay visiting the outdoor exhibits, but when the rain let up we ran outside and snapped these to give you a small taste of what's coming in the next couple days of blogging:

Vaught Corsair:
Posted Image

AT-802 Crop Duster (notice the small metal tube with all the spray nozzles):
Posted Image

We ducked from building to building to check out as much as we could (several buildings were closed due to the rain), and came across a nice NASA exhibit.  They were giving away posters and bumper stickers like candy, and there were some truly impressive displays of new and old technology.  My favorite was a shuttle engine which was on display right in the center of the building.  I noticed the floor underneath was reinforced with layers of plywood, and for good reason: the thing is massive, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 feet in diameter:
Posted Image

Yesterday I posted a photo of the reproduction that will be flown Wednesday.  Today we visited the Harry Combs reproduction that will be officially donated to the park during the ceremony Wednesday.  It was built at a cost of over one million dollars, and is true to the original Wright flyer in every way imaginable:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Come back tomorrow for some great photos - the weather for the airshow should be perfect (finally B)).  The theme tomorrow will be "Protecting the Home of the Brave" and the airshow will feature military planes.  There will be a skydiving demonstration as well, which should make for some great video.  Flybys will include pre-World War, Korean War, WWII and Gulf War Era Planes.  And coming up later - the Thunderbirds will be flying both Tuesday and Wednesday :o  

We'll be back soon!

Brad and Jon
Kitty Hawk, NC

#2 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:55 AM

make sure to get pics of you guys next to something...

#3 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for all the nice pictures Brad and Jon - why i can not be there... :o
Best wishes from us all that the weather get better !!!
...the Thunderbirds   :P  Wow!

#4 funtown34

funtown34

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 01:43 AM

I've gotta see those T-Birds someday. I've seen the Blue Angels :P , just not the T-Birds :o ... And yea, that rocket engine looks gigantic (compared to that roll of paper towels). Nice photos again guys.

#5 L_Plates

L_Plates

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:15 AM

Im looking forward to the next intallment.

#6 PSYCHO

PSYCHO

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 11:33 AM

funtown34, on Dec 15 2003, 01:43 AM, said:

I've gotta see those T-Birds someday. I've seen the Blue Angels :P , just not the T-Birds :o ... And yea, that rocket engine looks gigantic (compared to that roll of paper towels). Nice photos again guys.
haha i am the reverse of you! i've seen the Thunder birds like 3 times maybe 4 and i don't think i have seen the blue angels! haha that's funny. awesome pics and story line! can't wait for more! hehehe

#7 FlyAway

FlyAway

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:13 PM

I'll be going down to Kitty Hawk for the 17th. I'll try to get some nice photos also for the forum  :o

FlyAway

#8 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 01:15 PM

Whenever I head down to colorado springs for a lan party I usualy see the tbirds practicing at the academy.  Last time they were, the highway was going unusually slow :o  They even use smoke when practicing, so its like they are at a show yet its free :P

Nothing like going down the highway when a sudden roar comes up behind you and you see the tbirds!

#9 PSYCHO

PSYCHO

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 01:18 PM

that's awesome!

#10 Guest_hyperactive at skool_*

Guest_hyperactive at skool_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2003 - 01:31 PM

COA-7E7, on Dec 15 2003, 12:55 AM, said:

make sure to get pics of you guys next to something...
yeah

#11 Will

Will

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 02:23 PM

Can't wait to see the outcome of the first flight demo! :o

Too bad about the rain, we got that here, but it came down as ice an snow

#12 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 03:16 PM

too bad it rained there. I juist downloaded that cropduster though! Looks just like the real thing!  :o

#13 Raligard

Raligard

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 04:27 PM

I watched the documentary on how they made that flyer as well as the glider they used to train the pilots that will fly it. It was very informative and they had a lot of hard work cut out for them. Those are some amazing photographs of it! I hope that the weather is dry for the flight on the 17th.

#14 alio

alio

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:01 PM

Very nice shots once again :o I can't wait to see more and lets hope you'll get to see some more aircraft :P have fun B)

#15 tym2av8

tym2av8

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:02 PM

You should have made it easy on yourselves, Funtown and Psycho. It would have been simple to come to the 2003 Dayton Air Show in July. They had the Canadian Snowbirds, the US Air Force Thunderbirds, and the US Navy Blue Angels. Wow! What a show! You guys really missed out. Then again, we're all missing out on this week's celebration. Keep telling us all that can, Brad and Jon. Thanks!

#16 PSYCHO

PSYCHO

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 06:43 PM

that would have been awesome! haha

#17 thedude

thedude

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:48 PM

i want to head out there (it's only a 3-4 hour drive), but i'm lazy.  get some good shots of the thunderbirds.  :o

#18 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 09:17 PM

hey I have a question for you guys.

those two pictures of the wright flyer, are those from the "wright experence" from the discovery channel? The tent looks just like it from TV.

if so, was it disapponting to only see it fly once- at that a few feet into a puddle of water and mud?

#19 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 09:23 PM

Nope, those are our own pics.  In fact, that isn't the Wright Experience flyer in our pics, it's the Harry Combs flyer (the one being donated, not the one that made the flight attempt today).

Yeah, today was a little disappointing, but it was still awesome to see the flyer out on a rail and to hear that 4-cylinder engine fire up.  We got some great video footage so you'll be able to see/hear what we did later on once we finish today's blog :o

#20 tym2av8

tym2av8

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 11:35 AM

Great coverage! Thank you!  :o