Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:47 AM

Protecting the Home of the Brave
December 15, 2003

After Saturday's cold and Sunday's rain we were very ready for some good weather today, and boy did we get it!  The sky was perfectly blue without a trace of a cloud, and the wind wasn't as strong as it had been the last couple days ("only" 15-25 mph gusts according to the Weather Channel).  We loaded up our tripods and cameras and found a great spot at the corner of the original memorial building to shoot footage.

This was a busy day with dozens of flybys, several military demonstrations, and an Aaron Tippin concert.  The end of one of the singer's songs was immediately followed by a flyover from a pair of F-15 Strike Eagles.  The sound was deafening and you could clearly see the contrails as the planes went vertical directly over the park.  A ton of fighter formations followed:

F-18s:
Posted Image

F-14 Tomcat:
Posted Image

Heritage Planes - P-51, F-15, two A-10 Warthogs:
Posted Image

Video of four F-15 Strike Eagle formation flyby ;)

The Coast Guard performed an excellent search and rescue demonstration with a C-130 cargo plane and a helicopter (this is for you Pavehawk!):
Posted Image

We ate a quick lunch between flybys (we brought sandwiches since there was no "lunch break" timeframe and we didn't want to miss anything).  We kept finding ourselves scrambling to get the cameras ready every time we heard a plane coming from behind us - this was the first show I've been in where the planes were coming from multiple directions.  Several flew two or three passes over the crowd, which really helped in getting "that perfect shot."  

A real crowd pleaser was the tanker that flew by while mock refueling a couple planes:
Posted Image

An Air Force Twin Otter took off from the Wright Brothers airfield and within minutes dumped out a load of skydivers :o  If you look closely in this photo you can see the Twin Otter passing overhead (towards the lower left):
Posted Image

The skydivers all landed a short distance from the Wright Brothers Monument, which made for some nice photos and video:
Posted Image

One of the highlights of the afternoon was an Osprey that flew overhead with rotors in forward position then circled back and hovered over the airfield.  This being the first time I had seen an Osprey in flight I was really surprised at its size - this thing is a beast!  It's forward speed was quite impressive too, and it only took a few seconds for it to switch between helicopter mode and airplane mode.  We got some great video of the Osprey in action, and will be posting it at some point in the near future... :P
Posted Image

While the morning had been mainly a fighter show, the afternoon was filled with helicopter and bomber flybys.  A pair of B1B bombers flew in close to the deck under full afterburner then turned skyward above the field - quite impressive to say the least.  It was so fast that the still photos we tried to take didn't turn out.  However, I think the video was good and once we've processed the nearly 3 hours of video we captured today we'll likely be posting it for you B)  The other bomber definitely worth posting a picture of was the 8-engine B52:
Posted Image

The last flyby of the day was by Buzz Aldrin (second man to walk on the moon) in a Gulfstream G2 flying by after completing a flight from Los Angeles, California to Kitty Hawk in 3 hours 20 minutes, setting a record for the shortest time according to the announcer (?!).

Tickets for the festivities tomorrow and Wednesday have been sold out (35,000), so we're anticipating an exciting couple of days.  The event narrator today told the crowd that several "surprises" were awaiting us, so we'll be finding a parking space early and keeping our cameras ready for anything they throw our way.  

Until tomorrow....

Brad and Jon
Kitty Hawk

#2 PSYCHO

PSYCHO

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:01 AM

duh buzz aldrin didn't want to miss the airshow! haha but those shots are sweet! i am about to download the video! woot! keep them coming! :o

#3 eHaM2004

eHaM2004

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:23 AM

Very nice pics Brad and jon!  :o  :P

keep em coming B)

#4 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:26 AM

cant wait till you get back so you can upload the videos  :o

#5 alio

alio

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:00 PM

Man it looks amazing, i wish i could be there, thanks for the video very nice :o I hope to see some more amazing pictures and videos soon, makes me feel like am there :P

#6 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 03:20 PM

hey again, I made that other post when I was at school,(shhhh...) :P  so I couldn't download the video. But I don't have the thing you need to download it so I could only listen it. I'll have to get that later on tonight B) But it sounds just like when I went to the 2003 dayton airshow. They also had the thinderbirds, blue angels, AND snow birds all in one show!!! You can't really capture the sheer loudness on tape, you have to experance it yourself. Maybe I should upload some of my videos...  :o

Edited by Fox666, 16 December 2003 - 03:22 PM.

#7 tym2av8

tym2av8

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:49 PM

Fox666, I was at the Dayton Air Show too! No film, but I took five rolls of pictures!

Anyway, Job and Brad, you guys are doing great! I'm so jealous I can'e be there to experience it firsthand, but you guys are doing great bringing us all this information! Keep it up, see some great stuff, and pass it along to us soon!

#8 Grogs

Grogs

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:51 PM

Sweet Guys!  Keep em comin!  Remember to get the two of you in a shot!

#9 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:05 PM

i cant see the video... im using ATI's file player

#10 alio

alio

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:12 PM

it worked for me on the core media player, but i have not tryed it with windows media player.

#11 Bernhardt

Bernhardt

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:43 PM

that video is so tempting :o  :P

#12 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:52 PM

The video (and any others we produce from here out) will work in Media Player, but only after the DivX 5 codec has been installed (free download at http://www.divx.com).  We settled on DivX because it allows us to keep near-original quality and CD-quality audio, which is pretty important to me and I'm sure most of you.  

The filesize is quite small considering our uploaded videos are DVD resolution (720x480) and the audio is 44.1khz (CD quality).  The F-15E Strike Eagle video in the link above is 20 seconds long but only 1.5MB :o  That makes it accessible to dial-up users.  Once we put together some longer videos the files will be larger but the quality will still be top-notch.

#13 Will

Will

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 08:27 PM

Wow great shots and movies guys!! :o Keep up the excellent work for those of us who aren't lucky enough to be there...

#14 funtown34

funtown34

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 02:28 AM

More great photos and even a video this time! :o Very nice job guys.

Edited by funtown34, 17 December 2003 - 02:28 AM.

#15 Pavehawk

Pavehawk

Contributor\Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 02:46 PM

Beautiful pictures!  Thanks for the jayhawk pic, I love those helis.  Must of been loud when that B-52 flew over, jeez :o

#16 Raligard

Raligard

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:36 PM

It's a shame the flyer failed today.  :P  :o

#17 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:41 PM

Raligard, on Dec 17 2003, 11:36 PM, said:

It's a shame the flyer failed today.  :P  :o
hm... depends on what you mean by "fail" I'm sure some people just enjoyed seeing it peroid.

But yeah, it would have beed awsome to see it recreate the flight B)

#18 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 08:05 AM

are you 2 afraid to put your pics? that was my request

#19 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 09:48 AM

moqool, on Dec 18 2003, 08:05 AM, said:

are you 2 afraid to put your pics? that was my request
lol, no - we just never ended up with any really worth posting.  We'll be going back through our footage and photos the next couple of days though so maybe we'll run across something.

#20 tym2av8

tym2av8

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 11:35 AM

Great coverage! Thank you!  :o