#1 ras78

ras78

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

Hi guys,
in Caen I've two grass runway and I would like that my VFR flights use that rwys instead of the concrete one, because they take to go-around parts of my IFR traffic (grrr). How can I do this? (If it's possible...)

#2 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:44 PM

Not really an AI question; it's an AFCAD question.  And, short of closing your hard-surface runways for landings, I'm not sure you can redirect VFR to the grass runways only.  The way the runways are arranged, your GA traffic (up to a certain size) will use the grass strips for take-offs because they are the closest runways of the correct length for the size of aircraft taking off.  But it doesn't work in reverse for aircraft landing; that's purely an Air Traffic Control function, and ATC will direct arriving aircraft to whichever runways are hard-coded as the active runways.  So long as your hard-surface runways are open for landings, ATC will use them before using the grass strips.

The only solution I can think of is to open your traffic BGL file with TTools and search the flightplans.txt file for that airport's ICAO.  Find out the arrival times of your IFR traffic, and then look at the arrival times of your VFR traffic (first one-third of the flightplan specifies if the flight is IFR or VFR).  Increase the time between IFR and VFR arrivals and that should drive your "go around" instances down dramatically.  That's a complicated solution, I know; but short of closing your hard-surface runways to landings -- which would simply shift your problem to the grass strips, plus prevent some arrivals from landing due to the runways being too short -- I don't see another solution.