#1 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

Hi gang,

OK, I love the RealityXP Baron 58. In fact, I'm going to fly around the world in it. Now, things like this have been done on this forum in various forms but as best as I can tell, no one's done it exclusively using fspassengers flights from station to station on the way. So here's what I've done...

I started up a new company ("World Tour" being the name - what else?) and a new pilot to go along with it. I then went and bought a 4000+ hour used Baron in 90% condition at had it brought to 100%. This gives me the added excitement of having an old ship that may or may not make the whole trip without breaking down. Also, since I don't yet have fsnav or anything like that, it lets me keep close tabs on flight times and distances covered. My setup for each leg will include one "passenger" (assumed to be the copilot) and as much baggage as I can carry with full fuel (typically 120 lbs).

The trip started out from essentially a random location in the US. I entered the K then tapped three letters at random, coming up with KHAF, or Half Moon Bay just south of San Francisco. Set the sim to real world weather, and off we go.

My first stopover was Victoria, BC. The trip took a total of 3:57 covering a distance of 669nm. Lo and behold, the added excitement factor kicked in on this first leg. When on descent, I flipped the flap lever and they only dropped about 10 degrees, with my copilot (the one passenger I take along) reporting a major problem and that the flaps are stuck. Indeed they were.

After nearly overshooting CYYJ, I taxiied to parking and proceeded to dish out over $20,000 for repair of the system. All I can say is I'm glad it wasn't an engine Very Happy

Here are some pics of the first leg.

Martin

ps. I'm glad to see this forum has a "subscribed threads" feature, unlike a few others - good amount of traffic too.

Posted Image
Cold and dark - about to get an early start in the dawn light.

Posted Image
Taking off into the soup that rolled in between pre-flight and taxiing out

Posted Image
A spectacular California sunrise

Posted Image
A nice buildup blocking my view of Victoria and CYYJ itself

Posted Image
High on the glideslope on final for rwy 09. I wish I had more flap here!

Posted Image
Tied down in the rain

#2 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:26 PM

Leg #2 was from CYYJ (Victoria) through CYDL (Dease Lake). My original destination was CYPR (Prince Rupert) but at about 80nm out I found I still had over 3/4 of my fuel left so on I pressed. In fact, after landing at Dease Lake I still have about 5/8 fuel so I could have gone on and on. Total distance covered by this leg was 631nm in a time of 3:15. I was helped along nicely by a 30 to 50 knot wind off my back quarter most of the way as well.

Here are some pics.

Martin

Posted Image
Flying out of the muck over Victoria I discover a big friend

Posted Image
Above the swampy mess

Posted Image
A speckling of small islands thanks to Ultimate Terrain.

Posted Image
A glimpse of Prince Rupert (CYPR) 12000 feet below

Posted Image
Hmmm... this wouldn't be a good place to have to walk from

Posted Image
A beautiful sunset over the peaks

Posted Image
The approach was a little unusual in that there was a decent sized hill to pass over on final for rwy 02.

Posted Image
Parked, unloading, and enjoying a light snowfall. Now to find a hotel...

#3 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

The third leg was from Dease Lake (CYDL) to Whitehorse Intl (CYXY). I would have preferred a smaller strip around Whitehorse but it's not lit. This leg was meant to be only an hour or so but through ATC having me go around, it took a total of 1:45 over a total distance of 205nm. The northern lights were spectacular.

Martin

Posted Image
Leaving Dease Lake behind in the snow

Posted Image
A glimpse of the northern lights. They were with me for the whole trip.

Posted Image
Tied down in Whitehorse

#4 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

Time for leg #4. I'm keeping these legs up north rather short as the weather doesn't always allow me to get in where I want to. This leg was from Whitehorse (CYXY) to Dawson (CYDA). I've just (finally) installed ASV6 so I'm enjoying some fantastic new sky textures. They really make the socked in clouds feel more threatening. Distance for this leg was 229nm, flown in 1:17. I'm glad I was able to spot CYDA through the muck as there aren't any other airports nearby.

I'm off to takeoff for Alaska. Good thing I installed new mesh files so I can enjoy them through the cloud cover :D

Martin

Posted Image
Light snow at Whitehorse

Posted Image
The end of the runway is out there somewhere.

Posted Image
Enjoying the new ASV textures when Dawson pops up in front of me. ATC did their job on this one

Posted Image
Wouldn't you know it - it's clear on the other side of Dawson.

#5 one.one.six

one.one.six

formerly spartan.one.one.six

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:33 PM

nice shots and welcome
i live in foster city, near KSQL

Edited by spartan.one.one.six, 14 January 2006 - 11:34 PM.

#6 Mr. Schutte

Mr. Schutte

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

All I can really say is wow....

You must have put so much effort into that, and what a spectacular result, fabulous shots mate! Can't wait to see the rest of them. But that was a real treat, thank you very much.

Jonathon

#7 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

Ol' N6510F has taken some more damage and required more repairs. This time it wasn't an inflight failure so much as bad judgment on the pilot's part. After leaving Dawson, my field of choice was a 2 !'er from www.dangerousairports.com - Bald Mountain (2AK7). This 1000ft dirt strip is located a few miles north of Anchorage and sits precariously perched on the top of a mountain.

I did two missed approaches, one even with the wheels touching down, before finally getting low enough to pin her on the numbers. Well, I was too low and clipped the tree off the end of the runway. The plane ground to a halt, only vaguely looking like a Baron still.

As myself and my copilot were uninjured, a quick phone call to my sponsors answered my inevitable question: do we repair it? The answer was a quick "Yes" despite the $285,000 price tag for repairs. Thus, N6510F keeps on ticking. Needless to say, my copilot was less than impressed and I've had to look for a replacement.

This leg (#5) took 2:17 and covered 305nm. Unfortunately, my pilot rating is now in the red at a -200 or so after the -1200 for the crash.

My next challenge is getting out of this field though I do have a nice long runoff beyond the end of 24.

Martin

Posted Image
Departing Dawson airport

Posted Image
Crossed over into Alaska and the clouds are clearing

Posted Image
ASV and Alaska at their best

Posted Image
On approach into a taxiway - oh wait, that IS the runway!

Posted Image
Go around...

Posted Image
Going around again after touching down briefly

A month and a half later, here's a pic of the newly restored N6510F sitting at Bald Mountain. Look closely and you'll note that the tree is missing some branches. Any airplane parts you find under/next to it are yours to keep.

Posted Image

#8 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

Thanks, guys! I'm still over the islands southwest of Alaska so we're nearly caught up. After this post and the next, all updates will be as they happen.

The Baron flies again! We departed 2AK7 (barely) and picked our way through the mountains to another little dirt strip, Toksook Bay. This one is gloriously long, though, at 1800 feet. As it happens, the biggest challenge with this leg was the landing itself as it happened over a small rise an into a 25knot crosswind.

This leg (#6) took a total of 2:32 over a distance of 452nm. There's a good chance this is my last north american destination as my next stop over will likely be in the far east.

For anyone keeping track, the running total for the whole trip is now 2494nm and 15 hours, 11 minutes all flown without time compression and with real weather.

Martin

Posted Image
1000 feet of runway ahead of us

Posted Image
Wheels off the ground 50 feet past the end of the runway. 1000 feet at 3900 ASL is just too short for a fully loaded Baron.

Posted Image
Off into the wild blue yonder. The copilot didn't like the tail scraping noise

Posted Image
Landed in Toksook Bay and leaning heartily into a 25 knot crosswind to take this picture

#9 Fsimfan

Fsimfan

Download Manager\Contributor\Moderator

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

Great shots, and love the story! :D  Lucky you made it in one piece after clipping that tree.  Good thing the sponsors covered the massive repair bill.  :)

And welcome to the forum, by the way!  :D

#10 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:53 PM

Well I was wrong about Toksook Bay being the last NA stopover before hitting Russia. In fact, I've taken a major turn southward to follow the Aleutians. It's really quite amazing how tall some of these peaks are despite being relatively small islands.

Leg #7 took me from Toksook Bay (OOK) to infamous Adak, AK (PADK). This was another long one at 4:13 flying time covering 644nm. Upon landing, I had about 1/4 fuel left in each tank. Of course, a 10-20 knot headwind the entire way didn't help any. Luckily Adak was experiencing only partial cloud cover as there's no alternative within 1/4 fuel range. Temps were down as low as -25C at FL110 but it was a balmy 0C on the ground at Adak itself. The local inhabitants greeted me wearing T-shirts and shorts :D

Martin

Posted Image
Departing Toksook Bay, again in a 25 knot crosswind

Posted Image
Cloud and miles of open ocean

Posted Image
A glimpse of one of the Aleutians through what's becoming to be typical weather for this trip

Posted Image
A view of Unalaska airport from 11000 feet up - not a good strip to under or overshoot

Posted Image
First glimpse of Adak

Posted Image
Turning onto base for rwy 05, Adak

Posted Image
Parked and tied down, ready to check out Adak's night (afternoon) life

#11 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:54 PM

Fsimfan, thanks! Adding FSPax into the mix really livens things up. I'm never really sure if the plane will make each leg. For what it's worth, so far this trip has cost my sponsors around $250,000 and that's factoring in "income" from my copilot/passenger :D

Martin

#12 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:53 AM

Leg #8 will be my final North American destination before hitting the far east. We flew from Adak (PADK) to Eareckson As (PASY). It wasn't a huge jump but the next one appears long enough that I thought a fuel stop would be in order. One thing I am learning along the way is how hard my newfound interest, fspassengers, is to please each and every time. This time I increased my descent rate to 1200fpm and neglected to throttle back enough. Well, the 600 point deduction from my flight score taught me that lesson.

This leg did bring a bit of tension as my GPS up and quit though I naturally had the Shemya NDB tuned in and after a bit of dead reckoning, we were back on a bee-line course.

Now the question that comes up is - do I head south once hitting Asia or continue into Russia for a while? Needless to say, this will not be a direct line, straight-across-the-contrinent style crossing as I intend to see the sights.

Say, does anyone know of a good mapping program I could use to overlay my route, preferably in color? I'd like to be able to show the current section as well as past legs.

Martin
Posted Image
Departing Adak

Posted Image
A show-off shot turning onto course

Posted Image
Adak at its best.

Posted Image
My attempt at a mildly artistic shot

Posted Image
M-O-O-N. That spells moon!

Posted Image
Eareckson / Shemya shows itself - not much more than a strip on a barren lump of land.

Posted Image
Parked at Eareckson but just long enough to get fuel and go. The 10,000 foot runway here was truly a treat compared to the dirt strips in mainland AK.

#13 Saabdriver

Saabdriver

formerly Steveo1kinevo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:20 AM

Wow, beautiful aircraft and shots! :D

#14 king-air

king-air

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:40 AM

Martin Hunter, on Jan 15 2006, 06:53 AM, said:

M-O-O-N. That spells moon!
you may not know it, but that was a famous quote from the like 6hour film the stand.

wierdest film i have ever seen :D

nice shots, keep it up.

#15 Sonnova

Sonnova

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:49 AM

what a great journey. Keep it up  :D  Looking forward to next leg.

#16 Mr Smooth.

Mr Smooth.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

very nice and that sure is alot of shots :D

#17 Martin Hunter

Martin Hunter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:26 AM

Thanks, guys! I'm winging my way from Eareckson to Yelizovo on the Kamchatka peninsula. It's a nice long 500 nm journey over nothing but open ocean. I'm due in 2:10 so you can expect more pics then :D

King-air, I know it. The Stand is my favorite book of all time - one which I've read four times (yes, all 1500 or so pages) :D

Martin

#18 simo_x35

simo_x35

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:39 PM

Nice flights and plane

great shots !

#19 N3123V

N3123V