1 reply to this topic

#1 onthescopes

onthescopes

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:00 PM

This is a Tutorial for Advanced Simulated Radar Client which is used by VATSIM Air Traffic Controllers. This tutorial will show you how to connect as an observer and observe traffic and ATC. First, download ASRC from here.

This tutorial is not mean't to be used for those who are still learning ASRC for ATC, nor is it used to replace the manual. This tutorial is made for those who wish to observe VATSIM ATC and Traffic.

Once you have downloaded ASRC, Start below:

What you'll need:

ASRC
VATSIM ID and Password
Internet Connection
FIR or ARTCC Sector File (See below)

Sector Files are the files that display the airspace you look at in ASRC. ASRC does not come with sector files and sector files must be downloaded in order to see traffic, airports, etc. Sector files are available to the ARTCC's or FIR's website you wish to observe.
Start by opening ASRC. If everything goes well, this message should display at the bottom:
Posted Image

That indicates that ASRC has recieved the server information and is able to connect to the servers.

Before we continue, we need to download a sector file. For example, if you want to observe Los Angeles, then we would need to download the Los Angeles ARTCC main sector file available here: ZLA1017

Download that sector file and put it in a good location on your computer (I have a My Documents/Vatsim Sector Files folder). I recommend you make a folder as I did for all your sector files. Now that you've downloaded the sector file, its time to open it up and then Connect.

In ASRC go to File->Open and browse to your Los Angeles (ZLA1017) Sector File. Open it up and you should be able to see the Los Angeles ARTCC airspace with all its airports, etc.. (Keep in mind, I'm displaying a different sector file in my screenshots)

Posted Image

To move around you right click with your mouse on where you wish to center to and zoom in with F11 and F12 or using the zoomie thing on the mouse.

Now, to Connect:

Make sure you still have your VATSIM ID and Password available now to connect. Once you have it, continue below.

Go to File->Connect

Posted Image

A screen should pop-up and here you must enter some information.....

Posted Image

Enter your callsign (I recommend as an Observer putting your initials first <initials>_OBS). Enter your name, ignore the tag, rating (Most of you are observers unless you have taken and passed the S-1 ATC test), server (Closest one with the least amount of connections), facility (Observer), and then your ID and your password. When you are ready you can connect by hitting the "OK" button.

Once you are connected, things should look like this:

Posted Image

At the bottom, you should see a connection message and at the top you should see your callsign. Now your in!

You may also see ATC or other Observers in the right hand column in yellow text. Depending on your sector file coverage, you will see local and neighboring controllers and observers. If you want to talk with any, you can double-click their callsign and a grey box should appear and the bottom as well as a box around their callsign under the CL List.

Posted Image

To chat with them just type your message and hit enter and to exit the chat box type .x (with the dot). I don't recommend you bug controllers as much because they are usually busy enough. However, sometimes they will allow you to talk with them (I usually will talk). If you ever see a controller's callsign blinking with a box around it just double click it and it will display the message they sent to you.

As an observer, you can't really see the aircraft callsigns that the controllers are handling. To see all the callsigns you'd have to be in either Tower or Ground Radar Types which are restricted from Observers. Observers are allowed to use Center and Approach which do not show callsigns, yet they do show altitude, sqwk codes, etc.  To read about how to interpret radar tags, visit the ASRC Manual. (To change Radar Types go to Options->Radar Types-> Then select the one you desire)

To listen to the ATC in action, you can always just make a box in the VSCS (Voice Switching and Control System) for a certain frequency. Heres how:

In ASRC hit Tab or go to VSCS->Show/Hide. A window should come up with a bunch of boxes. Before you do anything, you want to find out which voice server/channel the controller you want to listen to is on. Lets say you are trying to listen to Los Angeles Center on frequency 125.8 and voice server/channel is rw.liveatc.net/125.8. In VSCS at the bottom hit the "BUTN CNFG" tab and then select a blank box. If you don't know the voice channel/server you can always do .atis <ATC Callsign> command and have their ATC come to you through a chatbox from their callsign (ATIS usually has the voice information).

Posted Image

Once you select the box, a box should pop-up requesting frequency and voice information.

Posted Image

In the frequency box enter the controller's frequency (Ex. Los Angeles Center is 125.8).

In the ID box enter your callsign (Ex. RS_OBS).

In the voice server box enter the controllers voice server. (Ex. LA_CTR: rw.liveatc.net/125.80, rw.liveatc.net would be the voice server and 125.80 is the channel).

In the channel box, enter the channel (See above).

When you are all finished click ok. Then to listen in click that same box and the RCVR tab (Far right) and the HDSET tab (Middle). Then you will be able to reciev the controller's voice and text transmissions as well as transmisisons from aircraft on the frequency. To stop listening just click the RCVR tab again and the box should close.

That was a short tutorial for those who are interested in observing VATSIM ATC. If you have any questions concerning this tutorial or use of ASRC, feel free to PM me.

:D

Edited by onthescopes, 12 February 2006 - 07:02 PM.

#2 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

Also, Formal training must be conducted by a VATSIM instructor before you can control.