3 replies to this topic

#1 Flyboy

Flyboy

Reporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:36 PM

Don't know if this is posted already God only knows what will happen if there's more than one post of the same topic.  

Monday, January 5, 2004 Posted: 5:07 PM EST (2207 GMT)
Story Tools

GLASGOW, Montana (AP) -- A small plane missing for three days was found crashed Sunday in a remote area of northeastern Montana. The sheriff said none of the four people aboard survived.

The single-engine Cessna 182 was found about 25 miles southwest of Glasgow by a pilot, said Debbie Alke, with the Helena office of the Montana Aeronautics Division. Bad weather had grounded air searches Friday and Saturday.

The people aboard were killed on impact, Valley County Sheriff Glen Meier said. He said about a dozen people planned to go to the crash site Monday to recover the bodies.

The plane was flown by Cut Bank car dealership owner Bill Newman, 45, and carried his sons Lance, 14, and Ray, 24, and Ray's fiancee, Jessica Grode, 21, of Ipswich, South Dakota.

Newman flew to Mobridge, South Dakota, to pick up Grode and was returning to Cut Bank in northwestern Montana on Thursday when he radioed that he was encountering stormy conditions near Glasgow, in the rugged region near Fort Peck Reservoir, officials said.

Temperatures in Glasgow were in the negative 20s on Sunday, the National Weather Service reported.

Newman, the plane's owner, earned his pilot's license when he was in high school, and was recertified to fly in September after a 20-year lapse, said his wife, Debbie Newman.

A Federal Aviation Administration official said the plane was believed equipped with an emergency locator beacon, but no signal was picked up.

#2 BlackHawk

BlackHawk

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:22 PM

That's sad.  I wish all these planes would stop crashing.

#3 funtown34

funtown34

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:30 PM

BlackHawk, on Jan 5 2004, 06:22 PM, said:

That's sad.  I wish all these planes would stop crashing.
Good luck. I wonder how many 0 plane crash days the USA has per year. Probably about 9. :o

#4 BlackHawk

BlackHawk

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:07 PM

Actually I didn't really mean that.  What I meant is i wish planes would stop crashing and killing so many people.  Planes are always going to crash, but it seems like since Christmas the planes that have been crashing have also been killing everyone onboard.