18 replies to this topic

#1 shagster22

shagster22

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

I thought it's time to do another preview of my project, so here it is.
Im only hosting some of the images (I made 25 shots in total for the preview) so that I don't clogg-up the thread, you can find the rest of these shots at my website:

Preview #2 Website

Please visit :lol:!

I've changed the following:
- I have a promotional paint of the BSMP Saab 2000 for LCY '06
- greened up the airport and the surrounding ground textures
- elevated the airport -> AI, User aircraft, and scenery (and shadows) all elevated like in real life
- added a few buildings, and textures a lot
- LEA (GA apron) is updated with help from BSMP
- Metro is updated, also with help from BSMP
- cleaned up taxiway lines, and drastically improved the apron
- improved FR by combining textures and simplifying a few objects
- added lighting, conditional lighting only on with ILS NAV1 frequency for EGLC (111.15), and lights display depending on where you are coming from --> each approach also has costom and realistically accurate light placement
- worked on turnaround (still incomplete)
- apron floodlights still in test phase
- some primitive grass lining the taxiways testing
- added some apron markings (AI are generally parking correctly now)
- more things  :D

Anyways, don't let me hold you, enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ciao! Frederik!

#2 ncbaseball

ncbaseball

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

omg thats awesome!  :D

#3 Katahu

Katahu

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

Please tell me that the bridges are drivable! :D

#4 onthescopes

onthescopes

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

Very nice. Can't wait till its finished.

#5 Blue_Angel_Cpt

Blue_Angel_Cpt

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:58 PM

Oh my god!  :lol:

This is great fredick, i need you to tell me what i need to do to help ya :lol:  :D give us a pm.

#6 Jet_A_FuelGuy

Jet_A_FuelGuy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:42 AM

Good stuff!

Although it is too green compared with reality.  It's basically derelict wasteland on the northern side.  But then, I haven't been to LCY in the summer.

Edited by Jet_A_FuelGuy, 24 April 2006 - 12:44 AM.

#7 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:36 AM

You'd be surprised how green even derelict wastelands look from the air.

Posted Image

I've said all along this is an amazing project Frederik :D

#8 gsnde

gsnde

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:36 AM

Great scenery ! The grass clusters at the runway border look gorgeous! How did you do that?

#9 shagster22

shagster22

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:55 AM

Thanks a lot guys! Comments keep me motivated  :D !
Yeah, it is a wasteland, tho there is an entire project going on rebuilding east london and the royal docks in particular.

That big glass building, the excel building, the university of east london, etc etc, are all efforts in making this area, the previous wasteland of london, a more livened up and friendlier place, they recently also added the LCY station to the woolwhich DLR line.

About the grass clusters, I found/made a grass texture and put that in a bmp with an alpha channel. Then i made 2 polygons, one which is very slanted toward the taxiway (this polygon has a few sections or so), and then the same polygon but a less slanted and further back. Im trying to create that 'layered' effect with the grass, tho the textures repeats are a little too obvious ATM.

I'm working on making the bridges driveable. One already is, but the others are having problems. But I'll try to make em. :lol:

Question to all; I'm wondering whether i should do previews more often (with less to show per preview) or continue doing it in these (larger) batches?

#10 TaterSalad

TaterSalad

formerly casonf/ApexSim

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

My grass idea worked out great didn't it! I didn't think you could do it :D I was wrong  :D  :lol: Looks as good as FlyTampas :lol: Great job so far Frederik, but we know we got more to do eh? Always something hehe. Let me know if you need any more beta help, or modelling, etc. I'd be glad to get some of the team in to, they like a change Im sure! :D

#11 KLM SEA-AMS

KLM SEA-AMS

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

Looking good there! Quite a unique airport!

#12 Jet_A_FuelGuy

Jet_A_FuelGuy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

That A.net photo is surprisingly green!  I was just commenting because that area is actually quite a depressing area.

I still think it would be more realistic to add a little bit of browness though!  I was just comparing that last screenshot with Image #3 of LCY on your site.

I don't mean to be pesky but although I see the DLR going to Excel, I don't see it going to the LCY terminal.  Just thinking, if you're going to add one, why not add the other! :D

The project looks very promising indeed.  I will definately install it when completed.

Edited by Jet_A_FuelGuy, 24 April 2006 - 10:01 AM.

#13 shagster22

shagster22

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

yeah, it is a bit brown now you say it. I'll see what i can do  :D ! Tho there will be seasonal textures so dunno how different those need to be, everything needs to be exadurated in FS  :D ! Anyways, thanks for the imput tho, It's always helpful!

Posted Image

This is it in construction, it only finished a few months ago, not on any sattelite image unfortunately, gonna be tough to get it in :lol:, but yeah, surprised me to  :lol: !

#14 Jet_A_FuelGuy

Jet_A_FuelGuy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

I've been spotting down at LCY and have taken the DLR on both occations so I know that...

...adding that elevated section without a satellite pic is going to be a nightmare although you can more or less see the alignment through ordinary London maps.  It's elevated all the way until it merges with the branch which goes to the Excel so you've got your work cut out!

I'm actually surprised you went down to meticulous detail as this:
http://i3.photobucke.../preview210.jpg

#15 shagster22

shagster22

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

hehe, thanks  :D ! I have to give Karl of BSMP due credit for modelling that station. My intention with this scenery is to make it as realistic as possible (with FR in mind of course). Just to really get the feel of flying into a dense area like LCY.

Say do you spot at LCY still? I'm looking for photographic resources, and haven't found any spotter who can take pictures for reference. I've already scoured the internet for images including myaviation.net and airliners.net, but im missing a lot of basic photographs of buildings  :lol: ...

I found a vid on www.video.google.com of some guy filming the whole of the woolwhich line:

http://video.google....on city airport

Its pretty neat vid. Thanx for the tip tho, it helps to talk to somebody who actually has taken the DLR to LCY  :lol: !

#16 shagster22

shagster22

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

BTW, just realized what you said 2 posts ago Jet_A_fuelguy, I thought you didn't know there was an LCY station silly me  :lol: !
Yeah, ill probably model that other DLR rail,  all the way to the intersection i think.

BTW, would you know whether the line that passes by the excel center elevates west of the excel center, or is that spot that's modelled the only elevated part (besides that part east of the university)?

And do you know if that DLR that goes by LCY runs along a road? I think it does, but then again, I can't be sure. If you have any spotting images I would be very greatful  :D !

Regards, Frederik

#17 Jet_A_FuelGuy

Jet_A_FuelGuy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:50 PM

A guy from BSMP asked me about pics for LCY a few months back and I said "ok" but he never got back to me about what to take pictures of.  Unfortunately, my exams are coming so I won't be out there for another month.

The DLR to Excel, you got it right.  Google maps has an extremely detailed satellite of the area.  It doesn't show the new DLR though - too old.  http://maps.google.com

This is the approximate alignment of the new DLR as I copied off my map of London.
Posted Image

#18 shagster22

shagster22

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

Uhm  :D that guy might have been me, I was working on LCY with BSMP for a while, and I was asking around for spotters....
silly silly me  :lol: ...
yeah my exams are coming up too, so I'll be slowing down modelling for a while, up till may 19, at which point ill continue. So I won't be asking anybody of any images for a while.
Do you have an MSN address or so? perhaps we could get in contact  :lol: !
Thanks for the DLR track, I might be able to find construction trends, and then itll be easier. Its actually better that its not built, cause then I don't need to edit out the DLR and its shadow in the ground textures, like i had to do for the current Excel track.

Edited by shagster22, 24 April 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#19 Blue_Angel_Cpt

Blue_Angel_Cpt

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:24 PM

shagster22, on Apr 25 2006, 09:35 AM, said:

Uhm  :D that guy might have been me, I was working on LCY with BSMP for a while, and I was asking around for spotters....
silly silly me  :lol: ...
yeah my exams are coming up too, so I'll be slowing down modelling for a while, up till may 19, at which point ill continue. So I won't be asking anybody of any images for a while.
Do you have an MSN address or so? perhaps we could get in contact  :lol: !
Thanks for the DLR track, I might be able to find construction trends, and then itll be easier. Its actually better that its not built, cause then I don't need to edit out the DLR and its shadow in the ground textures, like i had to do for the current Excel track.
Yip jetafuel guy was the guy who i mentioned :D