#1 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

Part two on monday, will include descent etc. N.B. DESIGNED FOR BOEING FMC'S

Ok, i will give a basic outline, I will be using the route EGLL-KBOS as an example for this explanation:

First you need to go to the POS INIT page, click your GPS position and then set inertial position. Then you can run through the a/c systems setup. After this a route needs to be entered on the RTE page. I suggest you get routes from here when you ahve entered your departure airport and your destination airport you will see some text like this at the bottom:

EGLL SID BUZAD UT420 WELIN UN57 POL UN601 TLA UL613 FINDO UM87 BAMRA UN584 SUM UM125 SIDER G11 MY G3 KEF 5E20 YR J564 PQI J55 PVD STAR KBOS

EGLL is shown in bold, for this particular route, this will be your departure airport, then we have SID shown, notice this isnt in bold. The text that isnt in bold describes how we get to the next waypoint, in this case BUZAD. You need to first enter BUZAD in the scratchpad (the area in the FMS where you can type) then click on the dashed line under 'TO' the waypoint will be entered. next type in UT420 and as this isnt in bold it will go in the left-hand side-under 'VIA' some boxes will then come up with the word 'THEN' above, this means you enter the next waypoint, in this case WELIN. Fill the whole route out like this. Next you need to program a SID, press the DEP ARR key and select 'EGLL DEP' press next page until you find the departing runway. Select it and then choose the appropriate procedure. Press the LEGS key and check there is no route discontinuity message on any of the pages.

Fuel your aircraft up and press the INIT REF key. Press 'PERF INIT REQUEST' and enter the amounts for reserves (5 is a general number) Your cruise altitude also needs to be entered in FL format i.e. if you plan to cruise at 38,000 ft you will type 380 and enter it under 'CRZ ALT' Enter 100 for cost index (this number will vary from airline to airline but 100 is a good general number) Go to the 'THRUST LIM' page and select TO1. Go to 'TAKEOFF' page and enter 15 for flaps. You should have your center of gravity from a fuel or load planner and enter this under 'CG' your 'TRIM' will be shown (usually a value like 6.25 or something like that) write this number down somewhere as you will need it for later. Press the keys beside all the V speeds to confirm them and then set up the rest of your a/c. Enter the trim value on the trim control (found near throttle column).

Stay tuned for part two

#2 Rambie2006

Rambie2006

One Millionth Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

Wow a FMC is really complicated :hrmm:

#3 gta95

gta95

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

If you would like to get ultra realistic and find the correct SID and STAR in use for that route, search it here: http://flightaware.c...tics/ifr-route/ , or use charts from airnav.com to find the correct SID that works with you waypoint. You may also want to keep the charts handy in order to fly the procedures for the SID/STARs correctly.

Oh, and don't forget the STARs.

#4 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

View Postgta95, on Jul 24 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

If you would like to get ultra realistic and find the correct SID and STAR in use for that route, search it here: http://flightaware.c...tics/ifr-route/ , or use charts from airnav.com to find the correct SID that works with you waypoint. You may also want to keep the charts handy in order to fly the procedures for the SID/STARs correctly.

Its not very realistic. The fact that it only displays the previous flight for flights to and from the UK makes the NAT track out of date and unreliable so flights across the pond is out of the question. There's nothing stopping you from using it, just don't expect to be given clearance on VATSIM/IVAO if the NAT track is not in use.

Edited by bigflyersmallbyer, 25 July 2008 - 09:35 AM.

#5 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

Few issues:

Flaps 15? Depends on the runway condition.
Why not fly across the Atlantic properly and include the NAT waypoints with the NAT entries?
When choosing a SID, look at your direction of flight, find a SID that allows you to depart in that direction.

#6 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Why not fly across the Atlantic properly and include the NAT waypoints with the NAT entries?

Well if your using real world weather you could run into a big headwind (Westbound). Just to correct my self flightaware flight plans for flight from the UK are the ones from the previous flight.

#7 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:48 PM

Use this site:

https://pilotweb.nas...ryhtml/nat.html

to see what the day's tracks are.

#8 gta95

gta95

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

View Postbigflyersmallbyer, on Jul 25 2008, 10:34 AM, said:

View Postgta95, on Jul 24 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

Its not very realistic. The fact that it only displays the previous flight for flights to and from the UK makes the NAT track out of date and unreliable so flights across the pond is out of the question. There's nothing stopping you from using it, just don't expect to be given clearance on VATSIM/IVAO if the NAT track is not in use.

Well, I'm talking general US based flight. The site is, so it only has conclusive information from the US. That doesn't mean you can't get todays NAT tracks from it. Just look up a flight in progress, and within its route will be the NAT track ( I believe, I'm not looking at it but I'm pretty sure its there.)

#9 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

Personally, I don't think you understand what a NAT track is.  NAT's are coded with an alpha-numeric identifier and change each day based on winds.  They run from the USA to Europe, therefore, you can't say that a site only has "us" NATS.  

NAT = North Atlantic Track

#10 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

I think he meant you can only get today's flight with an active NAT track for flights from the US, as any data coming from the UK airspace is heavily restricted, live data anyway.

#11 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

View Postbigflyersmallbyer, on Jul 26 2008, 09:08 AM, said:

I think he meant you can only get today's flight with an active NAT track for flights from the US, as any data coming from the UK airspace is heavily restricted, live data anyway.

Look at that site.  Westbound NAT tracks :hrmm:

#12 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:37 AM

Your not getting what i'm saying. I meant you can get flightplans for flights from the UK but because of the data restrictions you would only get yesterdays flight plans.

IE.

Today's Virgin 7 to LA is.

EGLL WOBUN WELIN.UN57.POL.UN601.MARGO.UN590.NINEX.UP59.BALIX 6100N/02000W 6200N/03000W 6300N/04000W 6300N/05000W 6200N/06000W GRIBS JELCO IRLAV PIKMO SCAH YWG DIK CKW BLD.J107.HEC.RIIVR1.KLAX/1022

But Flight aware is displaying yesterdays flight plan that was.

WOBUN WELIN UN57 POL UN601 MARGO UN590 NINEX UP59 BALIX 6100N 02000W 6300N  03000W 6400N 04000W 6400N 05000W 6300N 06000W IKMAN FEDDY SCAI IRLAV PIKMO SCAH  YWG DIK RECAP HELPR BLD J107 HEC RIIVR1

But for flights to the UK because there are no data restrictions on data in the US flightaware is able to display the flightplan for that flight on that day.

#13 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

Good tut, perhaps you should of put in a few pics tho :hrmm:

#14 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:34 AM

Lol!

This is like two years old.

#15 silverback

silverback

Private Pilot - VFR

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

View Postscavers, on Jul 25 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

Use this site:

broken link

#16 Toyuko

Toyuko

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

If you don't like reading you can watch this FMC tutorial 9 parts

#17 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:50 AM

View Postsilverback, on Aug 18 2008, 12:59 AM, said:

View Postscavers, on Jul 25 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

Use this site:

broken link

Works fine..

#18 silverback

silverback

Private Pilot - VFR

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

View Postbigflyersmallbyer, on Aug 18 2008, 03:50 AM, said:

Works fine..
Ack, you're right!  Certificate trouble with my browser so it needed an exception.  :hrmm: