#1 sphing

sphing

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hi,

I have fs2004 and I have been working on a DC-9-41 model with a VC.  I have downloaded the 2004 gmax SDK (makemdl) and it does not work for exporting the VC.  I followed the "interior" and "exterior" grouping method but when in the sim I get no interior.  The exterior is fine.

I have read posts that the older fs2002 makemdl could export to .bgl and from there use make model to create both interior and exterior views. The fs2004 makemdl does not support .bgl. It only supports .mdl.

How do you make a VC for FS2004 using GMAX?  I'm using the last version of GMAX v1.2.

please help.

thanksPosted Image

#2 ronindanbo

ronindanbo

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:41 PM

Hi

Nice model, you need to Hirachicly link parts to the interior object which needs to be positioned at vertex 0,0,0 (the same as your exterior object), so using the link tool daisy chain all your parts to exterior(apart from the interior ones) eg...

link Window to WindowFrame link WindowFrame to Fuselage link fuselage to Exterior and so on.  

You then want to link all your interior parts to the interior object for example...

FlightYoke to flightdeck, flightdeck to VirtualCPit VirtualCPit to interior  and so on

Please note these names are examples and apart from interior or exterior DO NOT need to be named like this however naming convention is important when you come to animations (thats the fun bit  :D )

#3 sphing

sphing

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:03 PM

Is this different than grouping (i.e. interior, exterior)?

Should the FS2004 makemdl work for this?  

(also...I have just been messing around with the older FS2002 versions and mdlcommander and middleman. Can't get them to work either.  Am I waisting my time with these?)

thanks,
here is a screenshot of the 2D cockpit... 100% xml
Posted Image

#4 ronindanbo

ronindanbo

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

hi

Yes this is different from grouping, essentially where you would have a group of internal and external instead you would have 2 objects internal and external then you link related parts to them using the Link tool then click and drag part from one to the other, this ensures you actually build as per the SDK's which gives you a better chance of having forward compatible aircraft  :D

Posted Image

Then you can see the hirachy by selecting the hirachy button and clicking display subtree, note that you can have more than one object connected to a higher object as in the example.

Posted Image

Edited by ronindanbo, 22 July 2006 - 09:43 PM.

#5 Katahu

Katahu

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

You can get expert help from this forum below.

http://www.aerodynam...n/yabb/YaBB.cgi

These people have a lot of a knowledge regarding XML and the hierarchy-export method that Ronindanbo just described. They also provide hints on how to fully exploit the XML code and hardcode it into visual model.

Also, if you link any part that has keyframe animations on it, make sure that they are "strictly" linked in a single chain and never branch off. Example below:

Acceptable:

Exterior [a geometric shape as the node - preferably a box]
---Fuselage [a normal object - nothing special]
------C_Gear_Top [keyframed - also known as animated]
---------C_Gear_Bottom [keyframed]
------------Rudder [tagged]
------------Rudder_01 [tagged]
------------Tire_Slow [tagged]
---------------Tire_Blurred [tagged]

or

Exterior
---Fuselage
------C_Gear_Top
---------C_Gear_Bottom
------------Rudder
---------------Tire_Slow
------------------Tire_Blurred

Unacceptable:

Exterior
---Fuselage
------Cockpit
---------Lever_Stick_For_Aft [keyframed]
------------Lever_Stick_Left_Right [keyframed]
---------------Switch_Ignition [keyframed]
---------------Switch_Nav_Light [keyframed]

or

Exterior
---Fuselage
------Cockpit
---------Lever_Stick_For_Aft
------------Lever_Stick_Left_Right
---------------Switch_Nav_Light
------------Switch_Ignition
---------------Lever_Parking_Brake [keyframed]

1. Animations can branch off into tagged objects

2. Animations "cannot" branch into more than one animation. That includes animations that first branch off into tagged objects "and then" into more than one animation. This is because it will confuse the makemdl utility on which animation gets priority and then it give you that nagging "scaling error" message.

3. Tagged objects "cannot" branch off into more than one animation. Same reason.

4. More than one animation can branch off from the "exterior" or "interior" node as those are only used to tell makemdl where the reference points are at.

Basically, keep "all" animated objects in a single chain. In case you never knew [chances are you might have], this case also holds true for the group-export method.

Edited by Katahu, 05 August 2006 - 09:24 PM.

#6 n4gix

n4gix

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

For those who wish, I offer a free zipped package cleverly named: MM_MkMDL.plugnplay.zip

It is a comple setup for FS2004 GMax export including MiddleMan and ModelCommander, already configured and ready to use.

Simply unzip the contents into your C:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\plugins folder and have fun!

Write to me at n4gix@comcast.net and I will send it to you as a file attachment.

Fr. Bill Leaming
3d Modeler and C++ Gauge Programmer
Eaglesoft Develoopment Group
http://eaglesoftdg.com

#7 Gym_Class_Hero

Gym_Class_Hero

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:24 AM

How do I get GMAX, I use FSDS, and am not satisfied. Microsoft said it was on FS disk1. But it is not there. The problem is that solid parts show up clear.

#8 Goose

Goose

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

To get gmax put in you FS2004 disk 1, then right after go to my computer, then click on the disk icon.(Or the drive you put the disk into.) That should bring up a folder.

Now wait untill the install program comes up and exit that.

Now in that folder go to extras, then GMAX and click the gmax12 icon. This will run the installer. Hope this helps,

Goose

Edited by Goose, 16 August 2006 - 10:33 AM.

#9 Gym_Class_Hero

Gym_Class_Hero

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

#10 Katahu

Katahu

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip