61 replies to this topic

#61 flyhalf

flyhalf

Orville Reincarnate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

Absolutely.

I buy everything for the following reasons...
1) It's mine, and I go to bed each night knowing it.
2) It works 100% all the time, every time.
3) I have money.
4) I know the value of money.
5) I just can't be bothered to wait 17 days for a stupid torrent to finish only to experience a) virus, b ) CTD or c) dodgy/incomplete
6) I can email the dev's about tech/license issues with absolutely no guilt at all.
7) I have participated on payware beta projects and can see the hard work that goes in to payware.

Edited by flyhalf, 13 March 2007 - 10:43 AM.

#62 martindh2005

martindh2005

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

funny enough, I found some quotes by Bill Gates and Jeff Raikes.

Bill Gates said once in 1998:

Gates shed some light on his own hard-nosed business philosophy. "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though. As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

Jeff Raikes says now in 2007:

"If they're going to pirate somebody, we want it to be us rather than somebody else," he said. "We understand that in the long run the fundamental asset is the installed base of people who are using our products. What you hope to do over time is convert them to licensing the software."

source and more can be found at :

http://www.xtremesys...ad.php?t=137096

the whole thread in the above forum is indeed very explanatory of how and why even MS pirated software can help the company.

Edited by martindh2005, 13 March 2007 - 07:50 PM.