I'm New to gmax and I need help on saving my project as an mdl file!!! :D

#2 Goose

Goose

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

To make you gmax file into a model file. you need the MakeMDL SDK avalible here.

To install thet go to the main gmax folder(on my computer it is C:\gmax)Then copy the MakeMDL.exe file in to the plugins folder and also the makeMDL.parts file.(I think. I know that you put the makeMDL.exe in there.) Now when you save it you will have the option of a scenery or aircraft mdl file. Hope this helps,

Goose

Edited by Goose, 11 August 2006 - 10:07 PM.

#3 TaterSalad

TaterSalad

formerly casonf/ApexSim

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:14 AM

Goose, on Aug 11 2006, 10:06 PM, said:

To make you gmax file into a model file. you need the MakeMDL SDK avalible here.

To install thet go to the main gmax folder(on my computer it is C:\gmax)Then copy the MakeMDL.exe file in to the plugins folder and also the makeMDL.parts file.(I think. I know that you put the makeMDL.exe in there.) Now when you save it you will have the option of a scenery or aircraft mdl file. Hope this helps,

Goose
You are correct. As well though, I do think the Microsoft Gmax SDK will automatically install it for you. its been a while since I did it, so I may be off there, but Im almost certain.

#4 Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

Yay!!!! Wait... NOOOOOOO I CANT SEE MY TEXTURE IN FS 2004 IF I ALREADY ADDED IT IN GMAX......WHY WON'T IT WORK!!!!! :D  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D  :)  :D  ;)  :lol:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :lol:

#5 Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:26 AM

I need help on the textures... I add them on gmax but they don't show up in FS2004 look at the box in front of the cessna:

Posted Image

Edited by Ubeans2001, 12 August 2006 - 01:27 AM.

#6 TaterSalad

TaterSalad

formerly casonf/ApexSim

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:12 AM

Ubeans2001, on Aug 12 2006, 01:26 AM, said:

I need help on the textures... I add them on gmax but they don't show up in FS2004 look at the box in front of the cessna:

Posted Image
Did you put the textures into FS? If the texture files aren't present, then the maps do no good in gmax. They have to be present in the scenery addon folder.

As well, I know your new, but please refrain from double posting something like this.

Edited by TaterSalad, 12 August 2006 - 02:14 AM.

#7 Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:21 AM

I tried that...unless the texture files have to have the same name of the bgl file..other that that it didn't work :?

#8 TaterSalad

TaterSalad

formerly casonf/ApexSim

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:34 AM

Ubeans2001, on Aug 12 2006, 03:21 AM, said:

I tried that...unless the texture files have to have the same name of the bgl file..other that that it didn't work :?
Not totally sure on that, I don't do scenery. Maybe you could wait a bit longer for TCY to come here and enlighten you :D But yes, try your idea, if it doesnt work, then make sure you made a backup first :lol:

Edited by TaterSalad, 12 August 2006 - 03:34 AM.

#9 Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:03 AM

okay then..

#10 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:01 AM

Make sure your textures are .bmp files.  (I say this because, believe it or not, I've actually had designers try to use .jpg, .gif, .tiff and other formats and expect them to work in FS9. :D )

If you applied the textures correctly (and TCY can give you more definitive info on that process), there are two things you can try; neither of them involve renaming the texture filename.

1.  Place the textures in your AddOn Scenery/Texture folder.  Then check your object.

2.  If they still don't show up, convert the textures to an extended bitmap format using a program like DXTBMP to do the conversion.  Then check your object.

One of those should get you a texturized object in your scenery.

#11 zencat

zencat

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:04 AM

Are the textures 32bit?

#12 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:05 AM

Sarge is correct - the textures don't need to be renamed, they need to be converted into DXT bmp files (I use DXTbmp for this - http://www.mnwright....rams/dxtbmp.htm ), then you should save them in the texture folder where you have placed your scenery in the Addon Scenery folder.

#13 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:59 AM

TechnicolorYawn, on Aug 12 2006, 06:05 AM, said:

Sarge is correct - the textures don't need to be renamed, they need to be converted into DXT bmp files (I use DXTbmp for this - http://www.mnwright....rams/dxtbmp.htm ), then you should save them in the texture folder where you have placed your scenery in the Addon Scenery folder.
See?  I told everyone you'd have definitive information.  We just had to wait for you to get a "kitchen pass" to give it to us.
:D  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D

#14 Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:59 PM

YAY!!!!!!! IT WORKED THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :)  :D  ;)  :lol:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :D  :lol:  :lol:

#15 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

Well done :D

Be sure to post some updates so we can see how its going :lol:

#16 Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

Private Pilot - IFR