• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:22 AM

Mango, on Oct 3 2006, 03:48 AM, said:

Chief_Bean, on Oct 3 2006, 03:24 AM, said:

This is a big improvement:
...higher FPS,
Which sim you are talking about ?!   :lol:
Higher FPS than in the first demo, well for me anyway.

#102 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:21 AM

RoniisH, on Oct 3 2006, 12:00 PM, said:

you seem rather upset, Mango :lol:
Only when the final has the same issue...  :D  :lol:

Edited by Mango, 03 October 2006 - 06:28 AM.

#103 RoniisH

RoniisH

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:12 AM

Mango, on Oct 3 2006, 01:21 PM, said:

RoniisH, on Oct 3 2006, 12:00 PM, said:

you seem rather upset, Mango :D
Only when the final has the same issue...  :jawdrop:  :lol:
true. :lol: I feel the same.

#104 Farside

Farside

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Chief_Bean, on Oct 3 2006, 01:22 AM, said:

Mango, on Oct 3 2006, 03:48 AM, said:

Chief_Bean, on Oct 3 2006, 03:24 AM, said:

This is a big improvement:
...higher FPS,
Which sim you are talking about ?!   :lol:
Higher FPS than in the first demo, well for me anyway.
Much better performance for me as well. My peak FPS is (while not great) about the same, but they no longer fluctuate wildly.
Textures are beautiful now and I can use tree-gen, where before I could not at all if I wanted smooth gameplay.
I'm happy.  :lol:

ETA:Has anyone seen the TV spot yet?

Edited by Farside, 03 October 2006 - 11:09 AM.

#105 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:09 AM

My heart's pounding like crazying, while reading this thead.
Too nervous for the release, I don't care even if it's released in Jan 2007, but it better not be a failure like Windows ME :lol:  :lol:

#106 Mango

Mango

• 11,952 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

With frames locked at 25 i got micro stutters (every two seconds) even above the ocean in the middle of nowhere. After setting FPS to unlimited this was gone. I'm not sure, but i guess that the blurry killer (which is a frame killer as well) is disabled @ unlimited ?! Looks like giving ground texture loading higher priority is causing other problems...

No doubt, the trees are causing the FPS lag (like mentioned above). That's for sure.

*off to chopp some wood...*    Posted Image   :lol:  :lol:

#107 exodus

exodus

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

You don't mean bill gates head do you?

#108 Grale

Grale

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

Just ran a few tests with the Autogen...

If i have Autogen set to Sparse, i get beetween 15-25 fps
If i have Autogen set to None, i get 45-60 fps...!!!!
these are flying around the hills infront of princess itnl airport, in the robinson

Now that can't be right, can it? sparse is very few trees, i can't believe they take up so much processing.

i hope they are going to fix this problem, i can live with sparse trees, but NO trees no sir..  :lol:

#109 Mango

Mango

• 11,952 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

exodus, on Oct 3 2006, 11:57 PM, said:

You don't mean bill gates head do you?
Naaa, we need FS11 right ?  :lol:  :lol:

#110 Mango

Mango

• 11,952 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

Grale, on Oct 4 2006, 12:46 AM, said:

i hope they are going to fix this problem, i can live with sparse trees, but NO trees no sir..  :lol:
Well, it wasn't such a problem in the first demo (and the beta ?).

#111 Andydigital

Andydigital

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

Well i'm seeing reduced frame rates, and worst of all the constant stuttering it some areas is unbelieveable, even FS9's stuttering was never that bad when it came out. And all this on a Radeon X1950XTX.

#112 Mango

Mango

• 11,952 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

Andydigital, on Oct 4 2006, 01:59 AM, said:

Well i'm seeing reduced frame rates, and worst of all the constant stuttering it some areas is unbelieveable, even FS9's stuttering was never that bad when it came out. And all this on a Radeon X1950XTX.
Did you lock the frames ? Try unlimited (for the second demo). This fixed my stutter problem.

#113 Bill

Bill

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

Tamiami Pilot, on Oct 1 2006, 02:21 PM, said:

Now can you tell me any real world pilot that would want any of these features ?

Obviously, not. FSX  is a game with corny missions and crap textures. So therfore FS9 is superior to FSX in a pilots eyes. The end.

For the record I would have liked to see this in FSX.

1-Improved physics
2-Ground Effect
3-Inop Gauges
4-Left Turning Tendencies

etc...
FSX couldn't have possible added those features. You know how much CPU power that would take? If FSX is running slow on computers as it is, what makes you think it would be able to simulate all those extra features on top of that?

If you want realisticness with shotty graphics, get X-Plane (I don't think even that can simulate ground effect). If you like actually enjoying the scenery and visuals, get FSX, or just stick to FS9 - the choice is yours. Why must people complain and ruin the positive attitude in the FSX forum?

Edited by g4cytheclown, 03 October 2006 - 04:17 PM.

#114 Katahu

Katahu

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

Why must people complain and ruin the positive attitude in the FSX forum?

Because they can. :lol:

I'm not too positive and not too negative when it comes to criticism. Usually, it's best to give negative criticism regardless of how awsome a product is because without it the product would never advance. So far, the FS series has advanced pretty well.

But at the same time, one shouldn't give too much negative crticism as it could easily discourage a company from continuing with a product and thus result in the discontinuation of a product [look at CFS3].

#115 Andydigital

Andydigital

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:56 AM

Mango, on Oct 3 2006, 02:19 PM, said:

Did you lock the frames ? Try unlimited (for the second demo). This fixed my stutter problem.
Tried that and it doesn't make any difference. Try hovering low over Princess airport near the tower in the R22 then use the rudder to turn on the spot in the VC view, and tell me you don't see any stutter?

I can fly round in fixed wing aircraft and i don't see much if any stutter, but in the R22 its horrid.

#116 Lucas

Lucas

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:54 AM

The Beta run pretty good here, much better than this new Demo version. With the Beta in Princess Juliana i get 25FPS locked, with the Demo i get 15FPS.  :lol:  Very weird, they have to fix that Autogen, its a murder of frames.

#117 Andydigital

Andydigital

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

Andydigital, on Oct 4 2006, 06:56 AM, said:

Mango, on Oct 3 2006, 02:19 PM, said:

Tried that and it doesn't make any difference. Try hovering low over Princess airport near the tower in the R22 then use the rudder to turn on the spot in the VC view, and tell me you don't see any stutter?

I can fly round in fixed wing aircraft and i don't see much if any stutter, but in the R22 its horrid.
Ok further to my last post i seem to have figured out what was killing my frame rate so much. I've turned down the terrain texture resolution to 60cm and the mesh res to 5m. In the Beta maxing out both of these settings did not cause me any problems, this leads me to believe that the higher settings were never actually usable in the beta or demo 1. I could be completely wrong about my assumptions, but there you go.

Here's a summary of my scenery tab.

Details radius: MEDIUM
Mesh Complexity: 70
Mesh resolution: 5M
Texture res: 60cm
Water: Mid 2.x
Land detail: Ticked

Scenery & Autogen: Normal
Ground Scenery Shadows: NOT ticked
Special effects: High

screen res: 1152 X 864

PC Spec's:
Athlon 64 X2 4800
2 Gig Ram
Audigy 2 sound
Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX 512 ram
Asrock DualSata 2 mobo.
Demo installed on different drive to XP.

I'm now seeing anywhere from 20 to 100 frames a sec, with an average of 30-40. Thats better!!

Edit: Just to add the autogen trees are definately the cause of most of the framerate hit still though. If the trees weren't a problem my average quoted above would probably be in the region of 50-60.

Edit Edit:  :lol:

I've also noticed that alot of the settings changes you make in the DISPLAY tab don't properly take effect till you restart  the FSX demo. Just another tip.

Edited by Andydigital, 04 October 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#118 Mango

Mango

• 11,952 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

Andydigital, on Oct 4 2006, 06:56 PM, said:

Well, i'm talking about normal smooth flying. Not making a very fast turn in the worst FPS area with a huge glass VC with mirror effects. I didn't try this yet, but i'm sure i get hickups in this situation as well.

Btw - so far i know the default mesh resolution is 38 meter, not 5 meter. FsGenesis is working on a 10 meter data for North America.

#119 mollindz

mollindz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:41 PM

Mango, on Oct 4 2006, 12:29 PM, said:

Btw - so far i know the default mesh resolution is 38 meter, not 5 meter....
I think this is true.  Also, the default ground textures for FSX are 1m, so if you drag the slider for Texture Resolution all the way to the right, it'll do nothing better than 1 meter.  The higher settings are there to accomodate future addon textures or high res. photographic textures.

Rob

#120 XM DUDE

XM DUDE

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

I like what they did with the Lear jet, the CRJ could use some help on the panel, the R22 flys better, over all I gotta freaken have it!