#1 The Boss.

The Boss.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:44 AM

Hi guys,

I flew into this airport, and really like it, however I can't find any scenery for it (or worth mentioning). I know it'll be a bit of a learning curve, but I really want to try.

http://www.airliners...file/1152623/M/

I was just wondering where you think I should start. I have no idea.

Ben.

#2 Fokker_F27

Fokker_F27

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:01 AM

I'd suggest using GMAX to model the buildings, and then use FS Scenery Designer to make the runways. There's also a program to make Afcads, but I can't remember it's name, tough.

#3 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

Designer's Toolbox

#4 The Boss.

The Boss.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

Ah, I love you sarge! :lol:

Thanks.

#5 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:07 AM

Ben., on Jan 11 2007, 12:43 AM, said:

Ah, I love you sarge! :lol:
Yeah; well, yer welcome.  Of course, you FULLY understand this don't mean we're gonna take long walks on the beach in the moonlight, right?   :o  :lol:  :P  :o  :lol:

#6 The Boss.

The Boss.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

:lol:

:lol:

#7 Mark1

Mark1

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

I recommend AFCAD2 for the runways and taxiways, and GMAX for buldings and airport models :lol:

Just my $0.02 :lol:

#8 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

Looking at the buildings in that photo I don't see much which would not be manageable with AFCAD, ExcBuilder and EZ-scenery. Catch is of course that EZscenery is payware.
There is an FS2002 pack - sabs_vic_airfields2003v1.zip at AVSIM - for which 2004 AFCADs have been done - afdvict.zip
It includes Riddell's Ck (this airfield). The style is now a little dated and I don't know how accurately Riddell's is represented but it may do.
(A list of scenery resources for Victoria may be d/l'd at this link and a South Aussie one at this link )
Sarge - great resource but I think the link for Library Creator is dead.
Does all this mean our moonlight walks are still on? :lol:

Edited by johnfromoz, 16 January 2007 - 09:27 PM.

#9 The Boss.

The Boss.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

I have that package. The Riddell's Creek airport in it is very bad, and not accurately represented at all. Which is why I want to make a new one. Not sure if I can/will though.

#10 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

Ben., on Jan 16 2007, 09:26 PM, said:

I have that package. The Riddell's Creek airport in it is very bad, and not accurately represented at all. Which is why I want to make a new one. Not sure if I can/will though.
I may give it a try myself if you like. It will not require you to have the payware EZscenery but will need a few of the free scenery libraries for GA hangars etc.
I'd be working from that photo, the ERSA and AOPA guides so if you have anything else, e.g. local photos, it would help.

#11 The Boss.

The Boss.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

I don't have any other photos at the moment. We can have a crack together if you want.

#12 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

I'd only be working in EZscenery (and AFCAD, and if necessary doing an exclude or landclass tweak). That would limit me to what library objects are available, but the photo indicated some fairly common strutures. Designing unique objects is something I have in mind one day when I have a lot of spare time :lol:
Therefore I don't see this as a big job. Have you started any work on it yet? Particularly, if you have got as far as making your own 3D objects there's potential for something there.
My first move would be to make an AFCAD then build around that.
Let me play with an AFCAD tonight and see how it goes. Ill PM you my contact details.

#13 The Boss.

The Boss.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

Got your PM, John. Thanks. Replied.

You should sign up for an MSN Messenger account. It makes contacting others really really easy. I'm just playing around with AFCAD at the moment, and collecting some other utilities to do the job with.

That document you made is also really good. Been hunting that Moorabbin scenery! :lol:

#14 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:45 PM

Ben., on Jan 16 2007, 11:38 PM, said:

Got your PM, John. Thanks. Replied.

You should sign up for an MSN Messenger account. It makes contacting others really really easy. I'm just playing around with AFCAD at the moment, and collecting some other utilities to do the job with.

That document you made is also really good. Been hunting that Moorabbin scenery! :shifty:
  :lol: Got back to you. No, I don't have MSN...
The Moorabbin scenery is really good. We have some great GA airports available - especially Westsim's Jandakot, Steve Royals' Parafield and that particular Moorabbin.
I have no default AI flying in Australia and those airfields look nice with "real" traffic. Simzdownunder has lots of Aussie AI aircraft (www.simzdownunder.com) including (shameless plug) some of mine. My HTAI Cessna packs (for Henry's payware Cessnas) are also compiled into four downloads at AVSIM - rough packaging but I wanted to get them out there in an easier to manage form than a whole lot of small packs.

#15 The Boss.

The Boss.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Hmm...might have to check out your work. :lol:

#16 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:32 PM

Nearly done YRID, just checking a few things...

#17 Mark1

Mark1

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

How is the YRID scenery coming along?

Got any preview screenshots? :lol:

#18 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

Mark05, on Jan 31 2007, 06:50 PM, said:

How is the YRID scenery coming along?

Got any preview screenshots? :lol:
I did a quick and dirty YRID with AFCAD and EZ scenery and uploaded it (to my own bit of the WWW), then mailed Ben telling him where he could pick it up. I have not heard anything since. I would at least like to know that we didn't get our wires crossed about which end of the runway the buildings are at!
Want a PM to look at the beta version? It relies, of course, on a number of EZ scenery libraries, which I tried to keep to a minimum and to smaller downloads.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by johnfromoz, 31 January 2007 - 10:46 PM.

#19 The Boss.

The Boss.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:59 AM

Looks good. Sorry about the loss of contact. I've been flat out lately. I might be able to get a good look at it on Saturday, I've got homework tonight, going to the Roger Waters concert on Friday and flying lesson on Sunday. Busy Busy.

#20 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:21 AM

No probs Ben, just thought there may have been something lost in the communication. Mark, I was in a hurry when I last responded, but you need not send me an email address to get a beta version - check your PMs.

Edited by johnfromoz, 01 February 2007 - 04:27 AM.