- - - - -

March 2004 Screenshot Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

Poll: And your favorite shot is? (97 member(s) have cast votes)

And your favorite shot is?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#101 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 11:47 AM

Ruahrc, on Mar 9 2004, 09:26 AM, said:

Anyways that's all- anybody know when the voting stops and the winner is announced?  Is it the first 10 days like it was last month?

Ruahrc
The contest always ends on the 10th of the month.  :o

#102 mNeo

mNeo

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 05:24 PM

scince i got no votes

[no need to be a party pooper]

Edited by Byron, 09 March 2004 - 05:27 PM.

#103 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:40 PM

I don't generally say which shot I voted for, but I've gotta give props to #23 this time - beautiful pic!  

Well done everyone - another good contest this month. :o

#104 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:04 AM

get your edits ready because in 5 or 6 ( depends on time zones)  more days the edit contest will begin  :o

#105 BrianF

BrianF

formerly BrianFeinzimer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:27 AM

All I can say is WOW, we got some great stuff goin on here, KEEP IT UP, ROCK ON!!!

#3 Rules!
GO AMERICAN!!

#106 Spector

Spector

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

Jon, on Mar 6 2004, 02:40 PM, said:

LOL, we *used* to run just 20 shots in the contest, but most everybody wanted 30! :o  We'll let Byron make the ultimate decision on how many shots will be in the next contest.

As for editing, IMO editing doesn't improve shots enough to increase their rank in the contest.  After all, if the edit isn't blatantly obvious then most people aren't going to notice a difference anyway.  Technically, ALL shots are edited - first by JPEG compression algorithms which are slightly different depending on the software used to create the shot (and the compression settings used), and by graphics card settings such as anti-aliasing.  Any of those factors can make similar screenshots look much different on two different computers.  It's impossible to know in most cases if a shot is "edited" by the game, the graphics card or by Photoshop.

I for one don't decide the winning shot based on how great the graphics are.  Not everybody has a water-cooled monster gaming system *cough* FLY CRJ *cough* so I also take into account how well the shot was set up, and look at scenery/lighting/theme/etc.

In any case, there's no need to be rude about what may or may not be an edit.
I agree with jon on this... before I vote (if I vote) I look at the way that the shot was setup. IE the angle of the lightning, the relationship between the AC and the ground, everinment such as clouds, rain etc. then I look closely to the AC. ( I am not going to give away what I look for here  :P )

#107 Hornet

Hornet

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:59 PM

It's the 10th of March. Mind showing us whos the person of the great shot?

#108 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:44 PM

This is Byron reporting from his waterbed to announce this month's contest winner:

RED61!

Congratulations Red61, and of course everyone else who participated in the contest. The contests keep getting better and better.  :P

Many thanks again to Royi Sher for sponsoring the contest this month.  :o

Hope to see you next month too.