- - - - -

March 2004 Screenshot Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

Poll: And your favorite shot is? (97 member(s) have cast votes)

And your favorite shot is?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#81 djtom12

djtom12

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 05:38 AM

Let's try and put all this behind us. Nobody wants to argue with each other :P . My posts have been removed and let's never speak of this again :o

#82 alio

alio

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 06:24 AM

id say 18 to 15 entries next time :o

#83 l33t_fly3r

l33t_fly3r

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:15 PM

Mango, on Mar 6 2004, 03:28 AM, said:

Brad, on Mar 6 2004, 12:06 PM, said:

Don't worry Byron, it won't get that far, at least not for long.  We take that sort of thing seriously, and don't have a problem giving the perpetrators a "vacation" from time to time if they persist in doing it.
:P  Yeah right....  

I just settled in and grabbed the popcorn - go ahead guys....  B)

BTW - are there any volunteer for 12 less entries ???
I say 15 if we are going to lower entries :o .

#84 Hornet

Hornet

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:22 PM

I think we should just lower it to 20.

#85 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:40 PM

LOL, we *used* to run just 20 shots in the contest, but most everybody wanted 30! :o  We'll let Byron make the ultimate decision on how many shots will be in the next contest.

As for editing, IMO editing doesn't improve shots enough to increase their rank in the contest.  After all, if the edit isn't blatantly obvious then most people aren't going to notice a difference anyway.  Technically, ALL shots are edited - first by JPEG compression algorithms which are slightly different depending on the software used to create the shot (and the compression settings used), and by graphics card settings such as anti-aliasing.  Any of those factors can make similar screenshots look much different on two different computers.  It's impossible to know in most cases if a shot is "edited" by the game, the graphics card or by Photoshop.

I for one don't decide the winning shot based on how great the graphics are.  Not everybody has a water-cooled monster gaming system *cough* FLY CRJ *cough* so I also take into account how well the shot was set up, and look at scenery/lighting/theme/etc.

In any case, there's no need to be rude about what may or may not be an edit.

#86 Pavehawk

Pavehawk

Contributor\Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:42 PM

Nice points there Jon :o

#87 turboproper

turboproper

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:10 PM

...............Stormy weather in the forum.... :o   I better go to Fly at Rali's server to find my  friends.

see you there my friends.

(all forum invited)  the Fuel is on me :P

Edited by turboproper, 06 March 2004 - 03:11 PM.

#88 ForD_MusTanG 2005

ForD_MusTanG 2005

formerly HyperActive2005

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts
  • Location:new york city (staten island) KEWR newark intl (new jersey) is the closest airport to me

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:12 PM

Jon, on Mar 6 2004, 02:40 PM, said:

LOL, we *used* to run just 20 shots in the contest, but most everybody wanted 30! :o  We'll let Byron make the ultimate decision on how many shots will be in the next contest.

As for editing, IMO editing doesn't improve shots enough to increase their rank in the contest.  After all, if the edit isn't blatantly obvious then most people aren't going to notice a difference anyway.  Technically, ALL shots are edited - first by JPEG compression algorithms which are slightly different depending on the software used to create the shot (and the compression settings used), and by graphics card settings such as anti-aliasing.  Any of those factors can make similar screenshots look much different on two different computers.  It's impossible to know in most cases if a shot is "edited" by the game, the graphics card or by Photoshop.

I for one don't decide the winning shot based on how great the graphics are.  Not everybody has a water-cooled monster gaming system *cough* FLY CRJ *cough* so I also take into account how well the shot was set up, and look at scenery/lighting/theme/etc.

In any case, there's no need to be rude about what may or may not be an edit.
very good point

#89 Derek

Derek

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:03 AM

First I am going to start off by saying that you should all read grouden's long article on the last page.  I just want to know why people have the arrogancy to say or presume that images are editied in photoshop.  All I hear is "I opened it up and photoshop and It looked like there was some magenta saturation added to it."  Well here is what I have to say...If your that jealous and nervous about their screenshot being better and getting more votes than yours maybe its time you stepped up and put your money where your mouth is.  Like I have never taken an image from these competitions and imported it into photoshop to see who changed what etc.  And for all of you people that didn't obey the rules your just hurting yourselves and if you get caught maybe you will never get to participate in a screenshot contest ever again.  

From what I've seen there have been great quality shots In here...this was the toughest decision I've ever made in voting for a screenshot contest and I will not reveal who I voted for until the contest is over...For reasons such as controversy on my own personal opinions in which other people where saying in their posts earlier.  

I also believe that 30 photos was too much this month.  I have a pretty good computer and cable and It took my computer at least 20 or 25 seconds to load up all the pictures for the first time before they were stored in my cache.  God speed those poor souls on dial-up.  I think the next month should have 20 or less screenshots added. Reasons for this is so that people with lower end computers can browse through all the screenshots and not get a big internet usage bill.

Let us save all of this bickering and put it toward flying and doing our best up their in the skies.... After all its our (virtual) JOB.  I would be very happy if the April screenshot contest doesnt turn out like this, it would make it so much more enjoyable and easier to vote for people.  Because you truly would be voting on their overall skills as a screenshot taker.  and not for stereotypical and democratical reasons like such persons in this forum have proposed earlier.

Anyways,  
Happy Flying Everyone

Derek

Edited by vipone, 07 March 2004 - 12:06 AM.

#90 Vizitech

Vizitech

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:04 AM

Well.....this one sure was a nice storm, I've been sitten back watching this whole thing develope and as always, I try to wait till the clouds have cleared and the sun is shining to jump in the pool. I think the temperature is about right.

-I voted for 6 because it was a crisp clear shot with superp lighting.(though I could have sworn it was the work of FLYCRJ)

-I to am tired of hearing people complain about thinking shots are edited, come gripe when you have something called evidence.

-I think Groudon makes a good point but I have cable internet so I really don't have to wait long for pics to load therefore don't think I have a place in that discussion.

- And, I hate people like FiveZeroBravo who blow things out of perportion like a simple dissagreement.
Quoted from him...

<You know what I say?

Shut your mouth. I could care less about seniority around here. I know what is edited and what is not. For all you know you could have had your first flight sim with FS2002 or 2004. Unless you have come from the first version of flight simulator shut your trap and don't tell me what is and is not cheating.

This is why I left. YOU ALL NEED TO GROW UP, AND LEARN TO RESPECT ONE ANOTHER.>

Well, that about says it for him. Hey buddy,well, lets just call you Dick sense we don't know your name, is that OK with you...Dick? Good, anyway, if you leave a place because you think the people there need to grow up and learn respect then why did you come back? Did you run out of friends in the real life so in turn came to crash our little party? I think we respect one another pretty good for a bunch of guys who have never met in person and really don't know one another that well. We have our arguments but we hardley ever start becoming as childish as you have demonstrated you can be.....right Dick? ;) And sense we already established that your not high on the senority list let me remind you that first impressions are everything (I don't care how long you've been a member, you never post). :o  I think you should brush up on those skills, ehh...Dick.

And... props to the best Administrators on the internet, and Byron. B)  :P You guys due a superb job at controlling the forums and keeping things fare. I don't know what would happen around here without you guys. B)

Edited by Vizitech, 07 March 2004 - 12:38 AM.

#91 Derek

Derek

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:22 AM

Well put Vizitech..Without the administrators this site would become war without It people would be going on killing sprees if it wasnt for the admin and moderators...LOL

Who's gonna win 1 or 6 HMMM....

Edited by vipone, 07 March 2004 - 12:24 AM.

#92 Derek

Derek

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 04:32 PM

For some reason I think picture 5 is better than picture six... i think picture 5 deserves more votes than it has

#93 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:39 PM

vipone, on Mar 7 2004, 04:32 PM, said:

For some reason I think picture 5 is better than picture six... i think picture 5 deserves more votes than it has
So do I :P

Overall, I think that it's a really good screenshot :o

groudon39

#94 funtown34

funtown34

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:59 PM

I've kept my nose out of this for as long as could... I have one thing to say though:
I think the overall quality of the shots is lacking this month. Nothing personal to anyone, but the overall quality has gone down this month IMO.

#95 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:06 PM

Jesus.... That's tight !  :o

#96 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:26 AM

Just some food for thought on the editing: I do think that even subtle editing can sway voters' opinions in the contest.  In fact, I think that usually the best editing is the subtle editing- the editing that makes you wonder if the shot you're looking at can be recreated on your own FS setup because it looks so good.  It's that subtle editing that usually makes the best pictures stand out just that little more and get just that little more attention and hopefully a vote.

Please note that I'm not pointing fingers or singling any one shot out of this month's (or any previous month's) contest.  I for one thought we had some great shots in here- and if you go back and look at the shots from previous months like october or november- we as a whole have come a LONG ways in our screenshots- great job everybody!

Anyways that's all- anybody know when the voting stops and the winner is announced?  Is it the first 10 days like it was last month?

Ruahrc

#97 Red61

Red61

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:30 AM

perhaps the screen comp should have more of a theme, ie : 1 month it could be a 747 or a heli or vintage. This way all the entries are of the same or similar aircraft. Choosing then would come down to composition and lighting etc. just a thought. :o

#98 Qantas Captain Dan

Qantas Captain Dan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:43 AM

6 for me, the shot looks so real and I am a big supporter of Ansett.:o

#99 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• 11,952 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:57 AM

I know the winner...  :o

#100 WarrenGmon

WarrenGmon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:50 AM

Red61, on Mar 9 2004, 06:30 PM, said:

perhaps the screen comp should have more of a theme, ie : 1 month it could be a 747 or a heli or vintage. This way all the entries are of the same or similar aircraft. Choosing then would come down to composition and lighting etc. just a thought. :o
Yea i've already suggested this idea to Brad and Jon.