#1 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:22 PM

<-- Return to Part 1

So I got all the parts last night and starting to put things together....
Posted Image

Another Fabulous board from Abit.  They included a Serillel2 Adapter so I am going to say goodbye to parallel cables  :o , and use it on my CD-RW/DVD
Posted Image

Left 9700 Pro, Right 9800 Pro, lets remove this crap they call a HSF!
Posted Image

I was suprised, Sapphire used thermal grease and not pad!
Posted Image

Everything is done with the mobo, time to lay it in the case
Posted Image

Here is the Innovatek Rev. 3 water block.  They use great high quality compression fittings, if you use 7/16" OD / 1/4" ID tubing you really don't even need to use the compression fittings, at one point I didn't and never had any leaks.
Notice the fitting the background, ALWAYS use teflon tape on those treads!!! It will save you alot of hastle if you do have a small leak and have to drain your whole system!
Posted Image

... the mobo is in and ready
Posted Image

I like to leave plenty of slack on that tubing, you can always trim it and tubing is really cheap, I buy it in 20ft rolls for $3 at home depot.
Posted Image

This little guy helps tons when priming the system.  It is basically a small header reservoir that the pump gets its water from. You pour the water in as the pump sucks it out.
Posted Image

The Angel Eye tech bay Res.  It is made of 1/4" Acrylic and has little holes to mount LEDs in.  They come in single and double capacity and even a blue that glows under UV.  Pull it out to see the filler hole and cap.
Posted Image

My half ###### excuse for the Innova-Protect liquid.  This will prevent any corrosion on the different metals inside the system as well as bond with the water to enhance the cooling properties.  I got this at Checker auto parts for a few bucks and it works great - and it puts a cool green glow in the water that glows under my dual UV cold cathodes. The recipe calls for very small amounts, so that's why the bottle is almost full, I added 1oz to the system.  Anyone Thirsty?
Posted Image

The rear of the bay res.  Look the right edge and you can see the little hole for mounting LEDs.  And, finally say goodbye to PATA cables, I wish I didn't need a floppy or else I would only have SATA cabling!
Posted Image

Black Ice makes the BEST radiators!  Great finish on there too ;)  I have another one on order that will make a home to the left of this one.  One 80mm Panaflo LIA cools this rad.  The point of water cooling is low noise, so these fans are rated 24cfm @ 21dba.  I use these fans exclusively in my systems (personal and business) they are great fans, if you can find a place that isn't sold out of them.  Case-mod.com has sales on these as low as $2 every now and then so keep your eye out if you are looking for some.
Posted Image

Two more Panaflo LIA's cool my HD's and bring in fresh air.
Posted Image

My 36gb Raptor and 120gb HD's
Posted Image

Looks like I am almost done.  I love my Lian Li case - it is so roomy!
Posted Image

Posted Image

She's all done and cleaned up
Posted Image

The UV cathodes don't come out to well but you get the point.
Posted Image

Overclocking and Abit go hand in hand, just some boxes from old boards I've had.  They come in handy for storing parts.
Posted Image

So hope you enjoyed looking over my shoulder ( Jon and Byron)  :P  Soon as this CPU gets a good burn-in I will start the o/c  B)

If anybody is intrested in Innovatek products, you can purcase them at http://www.highspeedpc.com  Their service is great, they always ship the same day, and in my case even give me a free fitting when I forgot to order it and they knew I needed it.

Angel Eye Reservoirs are available at http://www.case-mod.com as well as good deals on the Panaflo LIA fans.

http://www.frozencpu...ncpu/index.html Also carries some Innovatek products and their own version of the Angel Eye Res, but I find their prices higher, and their selection slim.  Highspeedpc has all the extra fittings and cool addon shizzle like valves, temp probes, flow meters, ect.

As always a big thanks to my life partner and reason for credit card debt, Newegg!!!

#2 Will

Will

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:08 PM

Crap lol that is awesome!!  :o

#3 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:08 PM

Amazing! B)

One question though. Did you get the Sapphire 9800 Pro?

When I bought it, I got another fan. :o

Like this one:

Posted Image

Maybe they've finally realised that it is a useless fan. :P

#4 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:17 PM

Yea I got the Sapphire, both fans are kinna useless  :o

#5 Vizitech

Vizitech

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:54 PM

hmm...and to think I've been using a reguler old HP pavilion all this time :o  :P

#6 l33t_fly3r

l33t_fly3r

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:06 PM

Awesome ###### computer!(no wonder your shots look so good :o )

#7 Hornet

Hornet

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:24 PM

Wow.

#8 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:30 AM

:P  Dang... That's a #### good job FLY CRJ !  B)  :o

Somebody make this topic sticky please....

I have a question. It's for sure better you have a seperate cooling system for the graphic card - isn't it ?!

#9 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:54 AM

Mango, on Mar 3 2004, 10:30 PM, said:

I have a question. It's for sure better you have a seperate cooling system for the graphic card - isn't it ?!
You mean keep the video card on air cooling?..I'm not shure what you mean but I will try to awnser...

I used to have both of those radiators hooked up and the small one would cool the hot water comming from the GPU before it went into the CPU.  I really didn't see but a 1-2 degree F drop and it added alot of "head" having the 2 rads hooked up, espcially the Maxxxpert cause it is a 3 pass radiator.  The small Black ice rad is alot more efficient, it has flat copper tubes just like a car radiator.

Just depends on what you think, it does add a little hastle.  The way I have it hooked up it does get hot water from the CPU, but the temps are probably the same as if I were using the stock cooler, I am just eliminating the noise.

This is my 4th configuration of these components to find the sweet spot and I think I am nearing it.

I could just make things simple and get a few dual 120mm radiators and hang them almost falling off somewhere like I have seen on some systems.  I just will not cut holes in my 230$ case :o  I am perfectionist hehe.

#10 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 01:55 AM

I've been considering it for a while now, but I am *definitely* using water cooling in my next rig.

"rig"... wow, I am so hardcore..  :o

#11 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:38 AM

Very nice, FLY_CRJ!!!  A job well done!

Here's a link to some pics of my own watercooled rig.  I did it for noise reduction and therefore it is not as elaborate or as powerful as yours, but it is whisper quiet!  It was a fun project to take on.  I also custom modded and painted my case, which is where the blue color and the extra holes came from.  (Hehe, it actually used to be one of those cases where the whole top 3 sides would come off in 1 piece... but I cut it on the edge so now I have a side panel access case too!)

Built it 3 years ago this summer- still running strong...  if you do it right there's no danger with having a computer full of water!

http://www.techimo.c...=500&ppuser=790

Ruahrc

#12 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:05 AM

Looks good Ruahrc, is that a homemade waterblock?

#13 Kubus

Kubus

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Location:most of the year Monroeville, PA, USA, otherwise Czech Rep.

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:31 PM

Not that it's any of my business, but could you both please publish a final pricetag for your rig? I want to see the diffrence betweeen home-assembeled and Alienware or ABS, and also the diffrence between that and how much I can spend on a suped-up rig :o

Edited by Kubus, 04 March 2004 - 05:35 PM.

#14 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:11 PM

Hmm...

Lian Li PC-75B       $230
Enermax 460w      $100
CPU Water block    $70
GPU Waterblock     $50
Ehiem 1046 Pump  $60
2x 80mm Radiator $100
Pump Res             $30
Various Fittings      $10
Reservoir              $25
4x 80mm Fans       $20
Abit IC7 Max 2       $145
P4 3.0c OEM          $220
1GB OCZ DDR500  $315
Radeon 9800 Pro    $215
Audigy 2                $70
Lite-on CDRW/DVD $60
WD 36gb Raptor     $130
WD 120gb SATA     $100
NEC 1760v LCD      $410
Keyboard               $30
Mouse                    $20
Altec Lansing 461    $200
Cold Cathodes        $15
Floppy and cable     $20
Windows XP            $140

Total  $2,785 give or take...

#15 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:29 PM

No it wasn't a homemade waterblock- I got a watercoolig kit off of a website when I built my system.  It's probably not very high performance either- it was before the days of spiral blocks and well before Innovatek and Swiftech made their great waterblocks. :o

Ruahrc

#16 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2004 - 01:02 AM

I posted some information in CRJ's other part of this thread about the KoolPaks or whatever they were/are called, My memory needs an upgrade too :o

Also I put a pic of my new fan that I got the other day on there as well, all you heat worried people out there might want to check out that fan. It's dirt cheap and works like a champion.

I want to cut out the side of my HP a250n Pavillion and put some plexiglass in place of it and some lighting in there, I might do that this summer though when it warms up and I can go outside to cut it, :P

groudon39

#17 djtom12

djtom12

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:42 PM

:o Just incredible FLY CRJ :P

#18 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:32 PM

At what temperatures are your parts running?

#19 alio

alio

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 05:22 AM

Thats one sweet machine :P nice job :o

#20 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:26 PM

Byron, on Mar 5 2004, 08:32 PM, said:

At what temperatures are your parts running?
CPU is 47c Idle now, and load temps are pretty high, about 55c one 80mm radiator is not enough hence why I have one more comming.  Before my temps were around 44/48c.  I will report the temps soon as the other radiator gets installed.

Thanks everyone, glad you all enjoyed it!

Edited by FLY CRJ, 06 March 2004 - 01:26 PM.