#21 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

RED1-the one, on Jun 2 2007, 11:13 PM, said:

Hello, and welcome to my tutorial on how to autoland an aircraft using a NAV frequency!

I decided to make this tutorial after a lot of people asking me how to do it.

For this tutorial you should be confident in flying aircraft and setting NAV radios.

To make this easy, i will base this tutorial at Heathrow. (icao code is EGLL)

First do a flight to Heathrow and get on an approach on runway 9L (or just slew or get there by other means).
When you are correctly on the glideslope, set NAV1 to 110.3 and activate MKR, DME,ADF and of course NAV1. (Normally you would set your NAV radios much much earlier than this)

Also make sure that you have the correct flaps set and speed and fuel/payload etc etc

You must control the speed manually (unless of course you are using autothrottle)

On the autopilot panel, turn on approach, and also turn autopilot itself on.
the plane shall land it self!!!!

just make sure you have correct speed and flaps.

If an aircraft has FMC, you can find out how to program it and use autoland with this tutorial.

Normally you would set your NAV radios long before the approach and also the autoland can land from a further distance away and line you up.

You can use this at any runway that has an ILS beacon.

This tutorial is mainly for bigger aircraft, but still works with smaller aircraft.

(some don't have the approach selection on autopilot, if that is the case you will have to land the plane manually, but there will be aids to help you. There is flight director and some gauges on the aircraft panel itself hat help you land your plane in bad weather or conditions).

I really hope this tutorial help.

I reallllllllly want comments and constructive criticism on how i can improve it,

--thanks

ps. i wrote this at 11PM so sorry about any spelling or punctuation mistakes :)

Also, this is my first tut :censored: :lol:

I do everything correct and the plane goes up and up and up but stays on the runway line.

#22 Salem

Salem

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

Go Kimi Go KIMI, on Jul 4 2007, 10:22 AM, said:

I do everything correct and the plane goes up and up and up but stays on the runway line.

That may happen due to you not setting the NAV/GPS to NAV or you are too far away of the runway.. put your autopilot alt hold on 2000 AGL and wait until you line up with the runway, then disengage the alt hold.

#23 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

^^yep! and make sure you aren't too high when you start,and make sure you have APP or APR ut not just nav on the AP panel :lol:

#24 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

AnataBakaDesu, on Jul 4 2007, 04:48 PM, said:

Go Kimi Go KIMI, on Jul 4 2007, 10:22 AM, said:

That may happen due to you not setting the NAV/GPS to NAV or you are too far away of the runway.. put your autopilot alt hold on 2000 AGL and wait until you line up with the runway, then disengage the alt hold.

RED1-the one, on Jul 4 2007, 06:59 PM, said:

^^yep! and make sure you aren't too high when you start,and make sure you have APP or APR ut not just nav on the AP panel :lol:

Ok ill try but y did it go all the way up like it wanted to take off like a space shuttle.
Also it was freeware aircraft E.g The thomas cook 757 with the a321 panel from microsoft original a321 panel.
Does that effect anything.
Cheers Robbie.

#25 Salem

Salem

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:21 AM

Because when you press APP/APR when NAV/GPS is on GPS it will cancel out the ALT hold which will put the plane in a high angle of attack.

#26 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

anatabakadesu, on Jul 5 2007, 07:21 AM, said:

Because when you press APP/APR when NAV/GPS is on GPS it will cancel out the ALT hold which will put the plane in a high angle of attack.

Ok how do i do that give me a Quik explanation how to stop that happening.

#27 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

well make sure it is on NAV and NOT GPS or NAV/GPS

Edited by RED1-the one, 05 July 2007 - 01:41 PM.

#28 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

How do i do that then Coz I cant find it LOL

#29 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

what plane are you in?

#30 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Boeing 757 using fsx A321 panel

#31 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:11 PM

hmm right, im not sure lol,

could yuo post a picture of the panel please?

#32 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:52 AM

If you post a picture of the panel, i can tell you what to press :lol:

and it may not work if you have merged panels

#33 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:48 AM

RED1-the one, on Jul 14 2007, 05:52 PM, said:

If you post a picture of the panel, i can tell you what to press :P

and it may not work if you have merged panels

Hey RED1 I was in multiplayer i tuned the freq for heathrow runway 27R all the radios and correct stuff i then noticed gps was on so i went to GPS and Chose vectors to final in Procedure..
Listen to this u mite like this.
It slowed down then turned in a pattern over london then turned like the real thing on to 27R glideslope and decended and leveled out all the way down all i did was flaps and speedbreaks and Landing gear.
Yeahhhh babye  :lol:  :censored:  :)

#34 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

olol yh,
but i prefer using NAV instead of GPS, dunno just me!

lol congrats!

#35 Darren

Darren

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:35 AM

Does this tutorial work with all planes?

#36 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

^^well yes but some things will vary like instead of APP it can say APR but nearly all aircraft that can autoland

#37 Heathrow Tower

Heathrow Tower

Commercial Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:47 AM

Its not autoland, it wond land the plane...

#38 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:32 PM

Heathrow Tower, on Sep 5 2007, 04:47 PM, said:

Its not autoland, it wond land the plane...

Well mine did so it must be something weired then mine has Auto land feature but for some reason it won't work only APP works.

#39 Frederiksen

Frederiksen

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

This all fine and dandy but you need to fly into the glide slope (intercept), from below the glide slope. Some AP's when the glide slope indicator comes down to the middle, turns off the ALT Hold light and will bring you down to the runway on the glide slope, but some AP's don't do that so you have to manually ride the glide slope down, using the Vertical Speed.

The ILS Freq. is the most important thing about all this, in the Nav 1 radio, it will start beeping when the Freq. has been aquired, you can turn on the APPR button at this time. The first thing it will do is line up with the runway (this is the Localizer), adjusting for wind of course. You probably won't see the glide slope until you are about 10-15 NM out. At this time you should be at approach altitude, which is determined by the runway elevation. The glide slope is a 3  degree  beam from a transmitter along side the runway about 100-200 ft back from the threshold of the runway. Therefore you should land 100-200 feet beyond the runway threshold. There are programs that you can download to give you the correct approach altitude based on the RW elevation. If you are too high you will never (INTERCEPT) the glide slope beam, and therefore fly over the airport.

If all this fails you can look at the PAPI lights on the side. Two Red and two White and you are on the glide slope, but I can't remember if three White means you are high, or three Red. :lol:

All aircraft have a minimum landing speed based on the weight when landing. Even the large aircraft land at about 140 KIAS. Flaps need to be applied (744-30 degrees at 140 KIAS) otherwise you will stall and crash.

Anyway the info given above is accurate, I thought I would just embelish a bit.

#40 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:35 AM

Frederiksen, on Oct 19 2007, 11:07 PM, said:

This all fine and dandy but you need to fly into the glide slope (intercept), from below the glide slope. Some AP's when the glide slope indicator comes down to the middle, turns off the ALT Hold light and will bring you down to the runway on the glide slope, but some AP's don't do that so you have to manually ride the glide slope down, using the Vertical Speed.

The ILS Freq. is the most important thing about all this, in the Nav 1 radio, it will start beeping when the Freq. has been aquired, you can turn on the APPR button at this time. The first thing it will do is line up with the runway (this is the Localizer), adjusting for wind of course. You probably won't see the glide slope until you are about 10-15 NM out. At this time you should be at approach altitude, which is determined by the runway elevation. The glide slope is a 3  degree  beam from a transmitter along side the runway about 100-200 ft back from the threshold of the runway. Therefore you should land 100-200 feet beyond the runway threshold. There are programs that you can download to give you the correct approach altitude based on the RW elevation. If you are too high you will never (INTERCEPT) the glide slope beam, and therefore fly over the airport.

If all this fails you can look at the PAPI lights on the side. Two Red and two White and you are on the glide slope, but I can't remember if three White means you are high, or three Red. :lol:

All aircraft have a minimum landing speed based on the weight when landing. Even the large aircraft land at about 140 KIAS. Flaps need to be applied (744-30 degrees at 140 KIAS) otherwise you will stall and crash.

Anyway the info given above is accurate, I thought I would just embelish a bit.

Not that accurate.

-The glideslope shack is located 750 to 1,250 feet from the threshold.
-Approach altitude isn't dependant on the RW altitude, it depends on what the chart says per what TERPS (US Only) deemed save for an approach.

And white over white, you'll be alright. Red over red, and you'll soon be dead. White over white, and you'll soon be out of sight. So.....
(W)(W)(W)(W) = High
(W)(W)(W)® = Slightly High
(W)(W)®® = On glidepath
(W)®®® = Slightly low. Hold altitude to reintercept
®®®® = Add power, your way to low

Thats for a PAPI btw. For a VASI, its the same, but the top 2 are for the left group.