- - - - -

April 2004 Screenshot Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Who deserves to win? (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Who deserves to win?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#41 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:28 PM

:o yea mango, this is one of the better contests.  

I find it intresting to see the comments people make about the shots, good and bad, but the bad ones are funny when they are like man that pic is so edited, and you know its not (either its yours or you know who took it and what their machine is capable of)

Anyways keep them votes goin'

#42 ruudpel

ruudpel

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:07 PM

well explain to me then how you would make that lightning shot on purpose? you're in external view, and you press the printscreen button exactly on the same moment that lightning strikes?

#43 tikiman06

tikiman06

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 06:11 PM

ruudpel, on Apr 4 2004, 05:07 PM, said:

well explain to me then how you would make that lightning shot on purpose? you're in external view, and you press the printscreen button exactly on the same moment that lightning strikes?

yea...it is very possible...i have no skills with editing at all and have just the default graphics card and stuff...and i pressed the print screen button at the right time...u just have to wait for it...see heres the shot where i got it

Posted Image

Edited by tikiman06, 04 April 2004 - 06:12 PM.

#44 ruudpel

ruudpel

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 06:24 PM

http://www.fs2004.co...showtutorial=20

#45 tikiman06

tikiman06

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 06:51 PM

uh yea...that looks nothing like the lightning in his picture...sorry...but im almost positive its real...

#46 ruudpel

ruudpel

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:22 PM

im not saying its that exact lightning..
it just shows how easy it is to create a lightning effect

but it's all good, this is the last time i'll ever complain about edited screenshot contest shots, and it's also the last time i'll ever enter a screenshot in these contests

#47 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:01 PM

The lightning is real, I have taken a few shots with lightning.  All you have to do is replay and pause/unpause really quick to capture the lightning.  It's a lot of work and time but it is very possible.

#48 WingWarrior.

WingWarrior.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:33 PM

#2 would look great as a widescreen shot :P But Still can't decide which shot to vote for  :o

#49 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:28 PM

ruudpel,

That lightning looks identical to what I've seen while flying the sim.  I'm sure he didn't just fire up FS9 and punch the printscreen button once to get that - it would have taken a lot of repeated captures and patience to get it.  Still though it would be MUCH easier to capture it than edit it in.  With any one of the freeware screenshot capture programs available on the Internet he could just hit the screen capture key repeatedly and sort through the shots later.

#50 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:08 PM

Where is the problem to capture a lightning ??? I have about 30 lightning shots taken yet and almost entered this month with one... Do you want i post some ?
That's just a good pic !!!!

I also get tired about this comments...!

#51 ManDango

ManDango

formerly Birdjet737\Edited Contest Host\Video Contest Host\Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:33 PM

Mango im not against your shot :o

#52 WingWarrior.

WingWarrior.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:01 PM

Jon, on Apr 4 2004, 09:28 PM, said:

...hit the screen capture key repeatedly and sort through the shots later.....
Thats good idea

#53 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:12 PM

Another way to capture lightning is to turn the sim rate down on the sim to the minimum that it will go 1/4 speed I think :P Then fly for a little bit through a storm or by a storm, whatever you feel like doing. Then replay it and adjust the replay to play at a slow speed as well. You'll be creeping along, but it's an eaiser way to get a good lightning shot. Sometimes I will record the time at which I see the lightning and run through the replay again and when I get close to that time, I get my camera angle to where I want it and then press the Prnt Scrn button until there's no tomorrow ;) Then I sort through the shots to see if I got the effect I wanted, if not I do it again. I don't do much lightning shots though simply because I don't like how the lightning looks on the sim that much, it's to wide and doesn't have to many "branches" on it.

That's groudon's lightning picture taking tip B) :o

#54 CombatAce

CombatAce

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:06 AM

With Programs such as Screenshot Manager, just press print screen over and over like stated earlier, and you'll get it. That Lightning is very identical to the one my FS shows, so it unedited, pretty sure about that.

#55 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:47 AM

Always funny to see people complaining about lightning shots.
If you don't use a a screencapture program and use MS paint to take a shot, you'll never ever and ever going to get a shot with lightning in it.

Or you must have ultra fast reflexes... :o

Really Ruud, it's no edit. It would be a waste if you won't enter the contests anymore just because of this.

#56 ruudpel

ruudpel

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:11 PM

oh it's not just the lightning thing..there are too many things that I don't like about these contests anymore
I don't have any desire anymore to enter them, and if I don't enter a shot next time, I'll give somebody else the opportunity to enter

#57 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:31 PM

I agree with Ruudpel partially.

The screenshot contest has changed ever since prizes were offered to the winners, now everyone is out for the "Prize" instead of the "Glory" in my personal opinion.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't want to have the prize if I won the contest, but that's not why I enter it. I enter the contest to pit myself against the other members of this forum in a contest of screenshot taking ability.

Granted that some people feel the way they do about the contest and think it's great. I'm all for that, but it's getting out of hand when people are saying right off the bat and as soon as a certain pic gets a lot of votes "That shot is edited" or "I can see that the shot was sharpened"

If there are people who feel the same way I do about how the contest has turned out since the prize offering started then I'm not alone. I hope that they will continue to enter the contest with the same fantastic screenshots that I have been competing since I first entered the contest in Jan.

If someone enters the contest with an edited pic, then I would hate to be that person and have the little man sitting on my shoulder saying "It was an edit" for a long time. I'd much rather take the right path and do it honestly the first time and every time than to have that on my conscious.

I'm not saying that any of the pics are edited and I'm not trying to bash or complain about any of them, I'm just elaborating on how I partially agree with Ruudpel's comments and letting you all know where I stand on the topic.

Thanks,

#58 Robin.

Robin.

Contributor\Download Manager\formerly Robin.B

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:38 PM

I almost fully agree with Groudon here. I would certainly hate to win a prize without being honest. But I also have a great Idea! Why not keep the Prize Anonymous too until the voting has ended? Anyone join my idea?

#59 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:43 PM

fssimulator, on Apr 5 2004, 12:38 PM, said:

I almost fully agree with Groudon here. I would certainly hate to win a prize without being honest. But I also have a great Idea! Why not keep the Prize Anonymous too until the voting has ended? Anyone join my idea?
  :P  B)  ;)  B)  :blink:

VERY, VERY GOOD IDEA ROBIN

I don't know if it would help, but a very good idea indeed :o

I'm all for it....... :huh:

#60 Pu239

Pu239

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:45 PM

Taking lighting shots in fs2004 is easy.

Just let it run, and hit the print-screen button over and over until a lighting strike happens.
If you feel you got it, alt-tab out and see, if you didn't, then do it again.

Here's one I did a long time ago:
http://www.fs2004.co...topic=5031&st=0

Scroll down to mine and you'll see several shots with lightening. The first shot I did, the lightening looks just like #11s.

Takes a little time, and some patience, but its very possible to get...

We really need to stop with all these accusations about edits. I like the idea of a screenshot contest, but I don't bother submitting anymore. Not because of anybody cheating or people not liking my shots, but because all you hear anymore is how the entries are edited.
That really sucks the fun out of it.....