#1 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hello All

Decided to Do a simple tutorial to help photographers touch up their shots to give them a good chance to get onto such sites as www.jetphotos.net etc etc.

I will be using Photoshop to edit the photo. and the pictures were captured on a Canon 400D with a Canon 75-300mm USM III lens. At an ISO of 100 and 1/400s.

This is the original photo.

Posted Image

Problems with it are as follows;

To Dark
Soft
Unsharpened
Not level
Bad Crop
Dust Spots

Ok. Those are the problems. And the main rejection reasons from most sites.

Now, we are going to sort these out, and give the photo the best chance at getting accepted :lol:

Firstly, we shall start by checking for dust spots.

1. We need to Duplicate the Layer. and in the layer box (F7). select the duplicated layer. Now highlight Image, then scroll down to Adjustments, then equalize.

Posted Image

If you notice, we have a dust spot to the left of the aircraft, about 2/3rds up the page. we need to get rid of this, so to do this Open the Layer's box. and select the original Layer. Next, Select the healing brush, right click next to the dust spot and then brush all over the dust spot with the healing brush. Once you have done that, delete the Equalized layer (layer Copy) and the dust spot should be gone. Repeat this with other dust spots or if it didn't work the first time.

Next, we are going to level the photograph. (only do this if there is land in your picture)

Select the measuring tool and follow along the straightest object you can see.  I am going to use the runway for this. once you have done that. Select Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitrary And press ok. The photo should now be level with the image being rotated and parts of the canvas showing.  

Should now look something like this...

Posted Image

Now. We move onto cropping the aircraft. Select the crop tool. and drag the box over the aircraft. Try not to make it too narrow or to tall. and try to keep the center crosshair in the middle of the aircraft. That way, the aircraft will be centered in the picture.

Should look something like this...

Posted Image

Now we need to Edit the Levels and lighten/darken the photo.

Go To Image > Adjustments > Levels. There isn't much to this, just practice. Basically follow the graph. and try and move it to where it starts to clump. Don't over or underexpose the picture. Stop when you think it's at it's best and is the most appealing :lol:

Hopefully, you should end up with it becoming alot better to look at :pointnlaf:

Posted Image

Next, we are to move onto Contrast.

Image > Adjustments > Brightness Contrast. Try to just increase the Contrast in little amounts, maybe rectifying with increasing the Brightness. This is to just give the photo abit of depth, and to bring out the brightness and darken the darkness abit.  Try not to go above 10 on either adjustment, as it will be to strong and will change the photo completely.

Posted Image

Next, we are to add saturation to the photo. This is to make it that little bit more appealing and also brings out the colours. Select Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation. I tend to increase the saturation by about 5-10 when I do. try not to go past 10 as it makes the photo look too cartoony :lol: and also adds noise to it. Also, if you have taken the photo through glass or has a weird colour to it. Try faffing around with the hue to try  and get a natural colour. :censored:
Should look something like this...

Posted Image

Right, next step. Is to resize the photo. Selct Image > Image Size and choose the size. a good recommendation is something around 950 - 1300 for the width. I tend to use 1024. Then hit ok. You will notice that once you zoom in. The photo will be a lot sharper.

Should look like this...

Posted Image

And last, but definitely not least. Sharpening. Select Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. And set the radius to 0.3 and the threshold to 1. And then move the "Amount" slider around. untill the photo is as crisp as i can be, without being over-sharpened (i.e. Bright white lines around objects).  I will use about 152% for mine.

And hopefully you should end up with something like this...

Posted Image

And the finished Result...

Posted Image

And there you go! This tutorial should have helped you to get the best out of your aviation photography and hopefully, enable you to get the photos onto such sites as Jetphotos.net etc etc

Hope this helps you! :lol: Any Questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Anything you wish to add. Please add it at the bottom! :hilarious:

Thanks!

#2 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:52 AM

Just noticed, there is a bird on the photo. It's in the middle of the aircraft. If you wish to get rid of such things. Use the Dust Spot removing method :lol:

#3 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

Wow, very helpful Rupert :lol:

I'm sure lots of people will find this a good tutorial for basic editing :lol:

#4 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:54 AM

View PostChief_Bean, on Sep 3 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

Wow, very helpful Rupert :lol:

I'm sure lots of people will find this a good tutorial for basic editing :censored:

Thanks for the kind comments Alex! :lol: Really appreciated.

#5 Pierre.

Pierre.

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

Great Rupert!
This is a good basic for editing pictures and it deserves to be pinned!  :lol:

#6 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:18 PM

Thanks Pierre! :lol:

#7 Tim.

Tim.

Aviation Hotshot Dec-Feb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Top Tip from Tim...

Instead of using the levels, using Curves is a lot better in giving you control over over the exposure than Levels.

#8 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:17 PM

Ahhh that's a great Tip Tim! Thanks for your contribution! :lol:

#9 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:46 PM

Also! I forgot to add! please post your pics once you've edited them if you wish. I'd love to see if this helps or not :lol:

#10 kestrel

kestrel

formerly phil0510

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:17 AM

View PostTub_O_Girl, on Sep 3 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

Also! I forgot to add! please post your pics once you've edited them if you wish. I'd love to see if this helps or not :censored:

I would... but i don't have photoshop  :lol:  But good tut mate  :lol:

#11 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

View Postkestrel, on Sep 10 2007, 11:17 AM, said:

Also! I forgot to add! please post your pics once you've edited them if you wish. I'd love to see if this helps or not :censored:

Try GIMP or Paint.net

They're basically the same, but free!

#12 kestrel

kestrel

formerly phil0510

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:22 PM

View PostTub_O_Girl, on Sep 10 2007, 04:21 PM, said:

Also! I forgot to add! please post your pics once you've edited them if you wish. I'd love to see if this helps or not :lol:

Try GIMP or Paint.net

Na! i just got annoyed with Gimp  :censored:

#13 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

View Postkestrel, on Sep 10 2007, 04:22 PM, said:

View PostTub_O_Girl, on Sep 10 2007, 04:21 PM, said:

Also! I forgot to add! please post your pics once you've edited them if you wish. I'd love to see if this helps or not :hilarious:

Try GIMP or Paint.net

Na! i just got annoyed with Gimp  :censored:

:lol:!

#14 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

What can I do to this?

These were the tips given to me:

The image quality of these photo(s) does not meet the very high standards of Airliners.Net. This does not mean that it is a bad photo, but it does mean that we think it has certain (possibly minor) flaws.
It may be possible to correct this problem, but this depends on many factors.  If you want to read more about this problem, and about possible ways to correct it and hopefully attempt a re-upload, please go to http://www.airliners...ons.php#quality

These photo(s) show a motive that is not accepted by Airliners.net. This problem may be due to a very wide range of reasons, from photos that include unwanted window reflections to photos showing other subjects than aircraft. Also, certain kinds of so-called "creative" photos may be more prone to this problem.
Depending on the reason, it may or may not be possible to change the motive. If you want to read more about this issue, and about acceptable and unacceptable motives, please go to http://www.airliners...sons.php#motive

There is a problem with the contrasts in these photo(s). The whites in the image are not pure white, or the blacks are not pure black.
There may be several reasons for this problem, and depending this, it may or may not be possible to correct it. If you want to read more about this problem, and about possible ways to correct it and hopefully attempt a re-upload, please go to http://www.airliners...ns.php#contrast

When uploading these photo(s) you either selected the wrong categories or you neglected to select certain categories that should have been selected.
Selecting the correct categories is very important, because many features of the Airliners.net search engines depend on it.
This problem is usually easy to correct, and if this was the only rejection reason for these images, we would certainly appreciate a re-upload with the correct categories selected. If you want to read more about this problem, please go to http://www.airliners...ns.php#category

The overall impression of these photo(s) is too dark. This may be due to incorrect exposure settings for your camera or scanner, or it may be because the photo was taken in difficult light conditions.
In certain cases it may be possible to correct this. If you want to read more about this problem, and about possible ways to correct it and hopefully attempt a re-upload, please go to http://www.airliners...easons.php#dark

I know you are just ganna say...well whats the problem? go and do it!!!! But I don't know how :lol:

However... I do have photoshop!

Oh and why has the FSW Teamspeak been blacklisted? <<Sorry - very random...

Cheers Guys!

Will.

#15 prince

prince

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

bet trick is to underexposed a shot...as its easier to edit/brighten up compare to a overexposed shot

#16 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

View PostWF07, on Oct 1 2007, 01:55 PM, said:

What can I do to this?

These were the tips given to me:

The image quality of these photo(s) does not meet the very high standards of Airliners.Net. This does not mean that it is a bad photo, but it does mean that we think it has certain (possibly minor) flaws.
It may be possible to correct this problem, but this depends on many factors.  If you want to read more about this problem, and about possible ways to correct it and hopefully attempt a re-upload, please go to http://www.airliners...ons.php#quality

These photo(s) show a motive that is not accepted by Airliners.net. This problem may be due to a very wide range of reasons, from photos that include unwanted window reflections to photos showing other subjects than aircraft. Also, certain kinds of so-called "creative" photos may be more prone to this problem.
Depending on the reason, it may or may not be possible to change the motive. If you want to read more about this issue, and about acceptable and unacceptable motives, please go to http://www.airliners...sons.php#motive

There is a problem with the contrasts in these photo(s). The whites in the image are not pure white, or the blacks are not pure black.
There may be several reasons for this problem, and depending this, it may or may not be possible to correct it. If you want to read more about this problem, and about possible ways to correct it and hopefully attempt a re-upload, please go to http://www.airliners...ns.php#contrast

When uploading these photo(s) you either selected the wrong categories or you neglected to select certain categories that should have been selected.
Selecting the correct categories is very important, because many features of the Airliners.net search engines depend on it.
This problem is usually easy to correct, and if this was the only rejection reason for these images, we would certainly appreciate a re-upload with the correct categories selected. If you want to read more about this problem, please go to http://www.airliners...ns.php#category

The overall impression of these photo(s) is too dark. This may be due to incorrect exposure settings for your camera or scanner, or it may be because the photo was taken in difficult light conditions.
In certain cases it may be possible to correct this. If you want to read more about this problem, and about possible ways to correct it and hopefully attempt a re-upload, please go to http://www.airliners...easons.php#dark

I know you are just ganna say...well whats the problem? go and do it!!!! But I don't know how :lol:

However... I do have photoshop!

Oh and why has the FSW Teamspeak been blacklisted? <<Sorry - very random...

Cheers Guys!

Will.

I'm afraid there's quite a bit wrong with the photo. Too much for it to be accepted on Airliners.net, things such as the back-lighting, the softness of the photo. Try a different site or a different photo.

View Postprince, on Oct 1 2007, 03:29 PM, said:

bet trick is to underexposed a shot...as its easier to edit/brighten up compare to a overexposed shot

Yes But still, it's best to get the levels right when shooting. if you're going to under or overexpose the shot makes sure it's not to much as it will ruin the chances of editing it to a good standard.

#17 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

ok... thanks for your help chaps... how about any of these:

Thanks?

#18 MIA-PILOT

MIA-PILOT

Screenshot Hotshot of 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

Nice tut I use it for fs pics thanks thats kinda like my new style :lol:

#19 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:25 AM

View PostWF07, on Oct 1 2007, 06:57 PM, said:

ok... thanks for your help chaps... how about any of these:

Thanks?

Has a good chance. But things they might reject for are the backlighting and also the softness of it :lol:

Also, there's only one picture showing there.

View PostMIA-PILOT, on Oct 1 2007, 09:14 PM, said:

Nice tut I use it for fs pics thanks thats kinda like my new style :lol:

Glad I could help! :censored:

#20 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

oh yeah sorry... I cut that one down and sharpened and then re-submitted, so we'll see!

here's the second one.

Edited by WF07, 02 October 2007 - 12:06 PM.