formerly DiscoveryVACEO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

View PostSgt. Pepper, on Oct 23 2007, 08:15 PM, said:

View PostCoffeeBreakPro, on Oct 22 2007, 11:40 PM, said:

http://linuxmint.com/

Mint is based on Ubuntu, having used all the derivatives of Ubuntu (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, and UbuntuCE) Mint is the one I currently prefer. Version 3.0 has the choice of Gnome, KDE, or XFCE desktop while 3.1 has Gnome. If you go with Ubuntu you might consider Automatix to make installing certain packages less painful. There are arguments for and against Automatix but I found it to be rather useful
http://www.getautomatix.com/
http://www.getautoma...le=Installation

It should work on Mint but I haven't tried it myself. I prefer Mint because of Beryl http://www.beryl-project.org/  and I also like how the option to install either the ATI or Nvidia driver is pretty much dummy proof. There are other reasons, mostly minor since to a large degree it is very much Ubuntu.

Coffee

Thanks for the link Chris, really looks more enticing than Ubuntu itself, I presume it's easy to learn as well?

View PostPiP, on Oct 23 2007, 09:21 AM, said:

I've used a few distros, I didn't like Ubuntu, it's too much like linux made easy, I want linux to learn how to use it, so I go for a more traditional distro with the root account enabled by default. Fedora Core is my fav.

How hard is it to learn Fedora Core linux?

You don't learn a Linux, but you learn the coding of it..

Yes, it is.. I'm pretty sure PiP will recommend you books..

Edited by Hugo_Boss, 23 October 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#42 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Hugo, but what about those puzzle games for Linux?

#43 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

View PostSgt. Pepper, on Oct 24 2007, 01:15 AM, said:

You do need to "learn linux" as there are some key differences to Windows. But you don't need to learn the "coding of it".

Mounting in Fedora is automatic, there are a few tasks which still require use of the terminal.

Installing things needs use of the terminal, which is easier with grub, but you still need to learn how to install from RPMs.

You should be able to "use" linux straight off windows tho. Just not be able to mess with it.

Be prepared for most of the things you try to fail miserably.

Edited by PiP, 23 October 2007 - 07:45 PM.

#44 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:00 PM

View PostPiP, on Oct 23 2007, 05:44 PM, said:

You do need to "learn linux" as there are some key differences to Windows. But you don't need to learn the "coding of it".

Mounting in Fedora is automatic, there are a few tasks which still require use of the terminal.

Installing things needs use of the terminal, which is easier with grub, but you still need to learn how to install from RPMs.

You should be able to "use" linux straight off windows tho. Just not be able to mess with it.

I see, just a few more questions.

What is grub?
What is RPM's in terms of Linux mean?
Any beginners guides/books to Linux you would recommend?

Thanks PiP. :lol:

#45 h.V

h.V

formerly DiscoveryVACEO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:17 PM

View PostSgt. Pepper, on Oct 23 2007, 09:00 PM, said:

View PostPiP, on Oct 23 2007, 05:44 PM, said:

What is grub?

Just basic everything that I said.. just using more words :lol:

#46 tropicalfish

tropicalfish

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

GRUB is a kind of bootloader, kind of like the Windows XP master boot loader.

GRUB allows you to, when you start your computer, to get a list of the OS's on your computer to run, and you just move your arrow up or down to the one you want to run. Of course, there is the 10 or 20 second timeout before the default one is selected to run.

#47 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:07 AM

Typing from the Ubuntu Live demonstration CD, So far, it loads pretty fast considering it's running off of the CD. I love how it opens the image uploaders on this site lightening fast. Question is, if I have a spare 50 gig partition on my main C drive, can I install Ubuntu on that, or must I need a separate physical hard drive?

Posted Image

#48 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

Actually, can I use a spare 80 gig hard drive separate from the other hard drives in my computer? If I do that, I'll be able to get a boot option after POST right? Choose which operating system:

Windows
Ubuntu

?

#49 CoffeeBreakPro

CoffeeBreakPro

Contributor\Mod-at-Large\Hardware Guru

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

You can install Ubuntu on the spare partition, no need for a seperate HDD. Ubuntu will guide you through the process, there is an option to simply use the free space on the HDD or even resize the current partitions. I do suggest backing up your Windows install however. When you are done Grub will be your bootloader and you will have the option to boot into XP or Ubuntu with the latter being the default.

For someone new to Linux and trying to make the switch from Windows I strongly suggest a distro such as Ubuntu that simplifies the process and does as much hand holding as possible. Learning the mechanics of Linux and coding is great, once you get your feet wet, but too many people get frustrated and would go back to Windows if it were not for great distros like Ubuntu. Your Linux 'purists' like to make alot of noise about how we should all have to learn all there is to know about Linux and that it should not be so simple or 'Windows like'. I disagree, to gain broader acceptance by the general PC public and further erode MS market share there must be Linux distros that simply work. Otherwise Linux would remain the domain of coders and we would all be stuck with no other real options outside of Windows.

Ubuntu (all versions) and Mint all have simplified means of adding/removing programs, no real need to learn RPMs, APT, Packages, bin/bash, etc..... Good stuff to know and learn but not necessary. Mint is a real breeze in fact.

Hundreds of games, all open-source, available for download.

Plenty of books available but I always had a problem buying a book to learn an open source application so I never bought one. I learned every bit (limited I admit) of what I know about Linux by reading the disto's forums, how-to guides, FAQ's, and installing and testing a large number of distros.

There are anti-virus and firewall applications available for Linux, unless your behind a router I recommend the firewall (some are options with the distro). The anti-virus is a personal choice but many people are drawn into a false security that Linux is not prone to virus' like Windows. This is partially true, Linux is many times more stable and secure than any version of Windows but can still be vulnerable. Linux cannot be infected nearly as easily as Windows but it is not 100% bullet-proof either. There is simply no reason NOT to run an anti-virus app on Linux.

Coffee

#50 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:02 AM

Crap Coffee, that's a lot of good info. I really have to thank everyone for enduring my endless repetitive questions. :lol: I've always believed in double checking, and sometimes triple checking before I jump into something. I'll download this topic once it ceases with replies. Since I won't be able to install Ubuntu until Mid-2008 due to me having some plans as my sig suggests. :lol: Starting some where in the middle of November Pepper is going to be very busy with stuff. I might occasionally bump this topic up, should I have any questions that come to my mind.

I did Google "Linux Applications for Ubuntu" and found a TON of software. I can't believe the amount of games available. I've yet to find a PacMan game, anyone who knows me, knows that PacMan is one of my all time favorite games. :censored:

Again, thanks fellas. This was a pretty good lesson.

@ PiP: I Google'd Fedora Core Linux and found that it had 4 desktop swatches. Can I get that many with Ubuntu, or am I limited to the 2 swatches? :lol:

#51 CoffeeBreakPro

CoffeeBreakPro

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:04 AM

I just installed a pacman clone on an older HP machine I converted to Mint for a student, it was available for (open source of course) download via the add/remove programs tab.

Coffee

#52 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:31 AM

View PostCoffeeBreakPro, on Oct 23 2007, 11:04 PM, said:

I just installed a pacman clone on an older HP machine I converted to Mint for a student, it was available for (open source of course) download via the add/remove programs tab.

Coffee

Fun! I'll have to look into that later on this year. Thanks for the info and tips everyone! Good to see you back as well Coffee. :lol:

#53 CoffeeBreakPro

CoffeeBreakPro

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:04 AM

Thanks SP!  :lol:

Coffee

#54 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

View PostSgt. Pepper, on Oct 24 2007, 02:00 AM, said:

What is grub?

What was I smoking? Grub is the boot loader, I meant to say Yum up there.

#55 diluted

diluted

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

A year ago I bought a book called 'Beginning Ubuntu Linux' because I wanted to get into Linux, but I found the Ubuntu wiki to be more useful than the book. An incredible amount of information on there.

http://wiki.ubuntu.com

There's also the forums, and IRC channel (#ubuntu @ irc.freenode.net) if you get stuck.

#56 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

View PostPiP, on Oct 24 2007, 08:57 AM, said:

View PostSgt. Pepper, on Oct 24 2007, 02:00 AM, said:

What is grub?

What was I smoking? Grub is the boot loader, I meant to say Yum up there.

:lol: So what is Yum? I'm seeing some kind of trend with these names. Is there like Oomph, Slum, Bum, Crumb, Slooger Booger, etc. with linux? :censored:

View Postdiluted, on Oct 24 2007, 02:40 PM, said:

A year ago I bought a book called 'Beginning Ubuntu Linux' because I wanted to get into Linux, but I found the Ubuntu wiki to be more useful than the book. An incredible amount of information on there.

http://wiki.ubuntu.com

There's also the forums, and IRC channel (#ubuntu @ irc.freenode.net) if you get stuck.

Thanks Diluted, I found that this morning. Very useful info, I also partially know the owner of the ubuntu US forums, so I've got some major resources.

Thanks guys.  :lol:

Edited by Sgt. Pepper, 24 October 2007 - 08:12 PM.

#57 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

Most linux distro's have an online repository of applications, Ubuntu's is accessed through a GUI, but Fedoras is accesses at the command line via "Yum install [packadge name here]".

Installing apps from the repositories is very easy. Installing from other sources such as RPM archives is hard.

#58 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

View PostPiP, on Oct 25 2007, 11:08 AM, said:

Most linux distro's have an online repository of applications, Ubuntu's is accessed through a GUI, but Fedoras is accesses at the command line via "Yum install [packadge name here]".

Installing apps from the repositories is very easy. Installing from other sources such as RPM archives is hard.

Ok, I see. So if I wanted to find progies for Ubuntu, I'd type in 'Ubuntu program downloads', and find a downloads system where I'd pick categories I need, and find a progie that fits me? Just like installing FireFox extensions? :lol:

#59 diluted

diluted

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

View PostSgt. Pepper, on Oct 25 2007, 10:12 PM, said:

View PostPiP, on Oct 25 2007, 11:08 AM, said:

Ok, I see. So if I wanted to find progies for Ubuntu, I'd type in 'Ubuntu program downloads', and find a downloads system where I'd pick categories I need, and find a progie that fits me? Just like installing FireFox extensions? :lol:
No, you'd open Synaptic Package Manager and type in the name of the program you want to download.

#60 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

It would search it from the net? Would I need to know the specific name of the progie, or would I need a base term?