View PostiKettles, on Dec 13 2007, 11:03 AM, said:

View PostFlying_Pie, on Dec 13 2007, 05:18 AM, said:

View PostiKettles, on Dec 12 2007, 10:49 AM, said:

View Postpwn247, on Dec 12 2007, 02:28 AM, said:

View PostMax1, on Dec 10 2007, 05:11 PM, said:

View PostTamiami Pilot, on Dec 6 2007, 10:03 PM, said:

View PostMax1, on Dec 6 2007, 09:03 AM, said:

Rings? Why rings? American schools do weird things... :lol:

Why not? If I could go back and get one...I would have.
Just seems pointless to me. And a bit strange.  :censored:

To me, it's a way of silently saying to people "HEY! I GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL AND I'M GOING TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE!" :lol: :hilarious:

Do you see high school drop-outs with a ring? :lol: I think not. :lol:

-Just my way of thinking of it.
I'm sure the "drop-out" rate in the UK is probably lower than in America and you don't see us handing out silly little rings.
tell me one bad thing about getting a ring. if you don't want one, fine, but no reason to try to insult us for getting them.
It's ridiculous?
it's ridiculous to have a little pride in your class? I personally don't see the point in buying one, but there's no reason to go on about how ridiculous, or pointless it is...

#43 mulletman

mulletman

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

I don't see why you would spend beer tokens on a ring to be honest. I don't need a ring to tell people I have  graduated, the MEng in front of my name will do fine thanks! :lol:

#44 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

View Postpwn247, on Dec 14 2007, 01:41 AM, said:

Just about every American high school gives out these "graduation rings" (or "class rings").

Why this is new to you guys? I haven't the slightest idea.

Mods, feel free to lock this one. It's veered way off course.
Why is it new to us?

Perhaps because the US isn't the centre of the solar system... :lol:

Anyway, the mods can do what they want to do :lol:

#45 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

[quote name='Flying_Pie' post='1650207' date='Dec 13 2007, 11:59 PM'][quote name='iKettles' post='1649707' date='Dec 13 2007, 11:03 AM'][quote name='Flying_Pie' post='1649441' date='Dec 13 2007, 05:18 AM'][quote name='iKettles' post='1648828' date='Dec 12 2007, 10:49 AM'][quote name='pwn247' post='1648383' date='Dec 12 2007, 02:28 AM'][quote name='Max1' post='1647418' date='Dec 10 2007, 05:11 PM'][quote name='Tamiami Pilot' post='1643423' date='Dec 6 2007, 10:03 PM'][quote name='Max1' post='1642977' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:03 AM']Rings? Why rings? American schools do weird things... :pointnlaf:[/quote]

Why not? If I could go back and get one...I would have.
[/quote]Just seems pointless to me. And a bit strange.  :hilarious:
[/quote]

To me, it's a way of silently saying to people "HEY! I GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL AND I'M GOING TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE!" :lol: :pointnlaf:

Do you see high school drop-outs with a ring? :lol: I think not. :censored:

-Just my way of thinking of it.
[/quote]
I'm sure the "drop-out" rate in the UK is probably lower than in America and you don't see us handing out silly little rings.
[/quote]
tell me one bad thing about getting a ring. if you don't want one, fine, but no reason to try to insult us for getting them.
[/quote]
It's ridiculous?
[/quote]
it's ridiculous to have a little pride in your class? I personally don't see the point in buying one, but there's no reason to go on about how ridiculous, or pointless it is...
[/quote]

Thank you! All you guys have done is tell me how "tacky" it looks and how "ridiculous" it is- what's that going to accomplish? Am I going to not wear my ring based on what you have to say? Say something nice for once, jeeze.

[quote name='mulletman' post='1650363' date='Dec 14 2007, 10:24 AM']I don't see why you would spend beer tokens on a ring to be honest. I don't need a ring to tell people I have  graduated, the MEng in front of my name will do fine thanks! :hilarious:[/quote]

"beer tokens" is also referred to money. If you didn't drink so much, you might understand. :lol:

[quote name='Chief_Bean' post='1651173' date='Dec 15 2007, 12:34 PM'][quote name='pwn247' post='1650063' date='Dec 14 2007, 01:41 AM']Just about every American high school gives out these "graduation rings" (or "class rings").

Mods, feel free to lock this one. It's veered way off course.[/quote]
Why is it new to us?

Anyway, the mods can do what they want to do :lol:
[/quote]

Looks like we have a genius on our hands.

#46 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

View Postpwn247, on Dec 15 2007, 07:33 PM, said:

View Postmulletman, on Dec 14 2007, 10:24 AM, said:

I don't see why you would spend beer tokens on a ring to be honest. I don't need a ring to tell people I have  graduated, the MEng in front of my name will do fine thanks! :lol:

"beer tokens" is also referred to money. If you didn't drink so much, you might understand. :lol:
It's called humour...

View Postpwn247, on Dec 15 2007, 07:33 PM, said:

View PostChief_Bean, on Dec 15 2007, 12:34 PM, said:

View Postpwn247, on Dec 14 2007, 01:41 AM, said:

Just about every American high school gives out these "graduation rings" (or "class rings").

Mods, feel free to lock this one. It's veered way off course.
Why is it new to us?

Anyway, the mods can do what they want to do :censored:

Looks like we have a genius on our hands.
I do believe you were the 'genius' who presumed we should understand every aspect of US culture.

It's a two way street you know -- I presume you know exactly what happens to a student from the UK who graduates and think of it as completely normal even though it's very different to US customs?

Edited by Chief_Bean, 15 December 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#47 scotchegg

scotchegg

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

Sounds like a relatively new "tradition" cooked up by a ring manufacturer.

Take it from your elders and betters, they look :lol:, all the cool kids will take the piss out of you and even if not it will just sit in a drawer for the rest of your life gathering dust.

And criticism is not off topic.

#48 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

It been done for more than 60 years in America. I'll admit that it's silly in this day and age. :lol:

Edited by SwitchFX, 15 December 2007 - 09:16 PM.

#49 Tamiami Pilot

Tamiami Pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

Wow, alot of you brits need to sthu. Honestly, if the kid has class pride and he bought a ring, I see nothing wrong with it. Whatever floats his boat.

#50 scotchegg

scotchegg

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

View PostTamiami Pilot, on Dec 16 2007, 02:50 PM, said:

Wow, alot of you brits need to sthu. Honestly, if the kid has class pride and he bought a ring, I see nothing wrong with it. Whatever floats his boat.
Awww, are the nasty British people making fun of your teenage jewellery? :lol:

There are plenty of Americans who think it looks silly as well. If you buy a big ring with a piece of bright green plastic in the middle to commemorate your school time, then post pictures of yourself on the internet wearing it and say "comments welcome" you might expect some ribbing.

#51 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

What a stupid concept.

#52 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:56 AM

View PostScotchegg, on Dec 16 2007, 07:53 PM, said:

There are plenty of Americans who think it looks silly as well. If you buy a big ring with a piece of bright green plastic in the middle to commemorate your school time, then post pictures of yourself on the internet wearing it and say "comments welcome" you might expect some ribbing.

And suddenly the man from Japan knows what Americans are thinking. :lol:

7. Insulting or otherwise being overtly rude to other members will not be tolerated. If you have nothing useful to say then say nothing at all. This would include the use of the word "owned", or any derivative thereof, in an attempt to embarrass or otherwise put down another member.

^ I think this may apply here.

#53 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:16 AM

View Postpwn247, on Dec 17 2007, 11:56 AM, said:

Awww, are the nasty British people making fun of your teenage jewellery? :censored:

7. Insulting or otherwise being overtly rude to other members will not be tolerated. If you have nothing useful to say then say nothing at all. This would include the use of the word "owned", or any derivative thereof, in an attempt to embarrass or otherwise put down another member.

Is the concept of a graduation ring an FSW member? :lol:

And, some Americans in this thread have said the concept is silly -- so don't start bashing Scotchegg for stating the truth...

#54 mulletman

mulletman

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Dec 17 2007, 09:16 AM, said:

View Postpwn247, on Dec 17 2007, 11:56 AM, said:

Is the concept of a graduation ring an FSW member? :censored:

And, some Americans in this thread have said the concept is silly -- so don't start bashing Scotchegg for stating the truth...

Yeah, too right.

Wanna see my ring? :lol: