24 replies to this topic

#1 Bell417

Bell417

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

I got an X52 a few months ago and it's without-a-doubt the best joystick I have ever owned! :lol:  :hilarious:  If you think that quality and great features can't coexist, you're wrong--buy and X52. :lol:  I have one question though, when I try to configure the "I" button on the throttle quadrent to do something in FSX, it isn't an option. What's up? :lol:  Thanks! BTW, even if the button doesn't work, this joystick is still the best on the market, in my book! :censored:

Edited by Bell417, 11 December 2007 - 08:08 PM.

#2 iGamer

iGamer

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

View PostBell417, on Dec 11 2007, 08:08 PM, said:

I got an X52 a few months ago and it's without-a-doubt the best joystick I have ever owned! :lol:  :hilarious:  If you think that quality and great features can't coexist, you're wrong--buy and X52. :lol:  I have one question though, when I try to configure the "I" button on the throttle quadrent to do something in FSX, it isn't an option. What's up? :lol:  Thanks! BTW, even if the button doesn't work, this joystick is still the best on the market, in my book! :censored:
Pretty sure that button's INOP as I can't program it either.

#3 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

Not true...

This is the clutch button.  You can "disable" the clutch button to make it a standard button by clicking on the options (profiler options on the taskbar)  Within the options it's about the 4th tab that you can disable the clutch.   You might have to get the latest drivers and SST for this.  Also note I have the X52 pro so it might be different.

I currently have my "i" set as the speed break...

Bman.

#4 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

You'll probably need the specific drivers for the X52. They're included on a disk in the back of the manual :lol:

#5 AirFranceSST

AirFranceSST

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

Yea try the driver downloads. I havent opened my Saitek X52 yet since its under the Christmas tree  :lol:

#6 Bell417

Bell417

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

Then you're in for one heck of a treat when you open it! Thanks for all the help guys, I haven't gotten to try it yet, today was full but I'm going to try tommorow. I already have the SST installed and it's great, I used it to set up mode 2 so that when I'm on final approach in a jet, I just flip the mode switch to mode 2 and as soon as my wheels are on the ground and I pull the throttle all the way back, the engines go into reverse thrust, much handier than having to hold down F2, I can tell you how to do it if you want.

#7 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

Do you have the X52 Pro?

I would be nice to have a decent collection of .PR0 files to test out.  The reverse thrust sounds cool... send me you profile if you don't mind.  I would like to see how it's done.

Thanks

#8 Bell417

Bell417

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:51 AM

I would be happy to send you the profile but I don't have a X52 Pro, will it still work? If it does, should I just PM it to you?

#9 Bell417

Bell417

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

I right clicked on the X52 icon on the taskbar and here's what came up:
Posted Image
I think I looked int the right places... Oh well, I'll head over to Saitek.com and see if there are new drivers. Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by Bell417, 14 December 2007 - 11:40 AM.

#10 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:51 AM

View PostBell417, on Dec 14 2007, 11:40 AM, said:

I right clicked on the X52 icon on the taskbar and here's what came up:
Posted Image
I think I looked int the right places... Oh well, I'll head over to Saitek.com and see if there are new drivers. Thanks again for all the help.

"FSX" indicates the profile you made specifically for Flight Simulator X. :lol:

For example, TRIGGER1 in the FSX profile might engage the brakes, while TRIGGER1 in a 'Live for Speed' profile might trigger the gear shift, or NOS, etc...

Profiles help- if you're about to play FSX, just right click and select "FSX". If you're about to play LFS, right click and select "LFS". :hilarious: :lol:

Just another great feature of the X52. I especially love the LCD screen on the throttle module. :lol: I can time my flights, make sure I'm ahead of / right on time. :censored:

#11 Bell417

Bell417

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

I know how to load profiles, what I don't know how to do is make it so that I can program the clutch switch. I disabled it this afternoon but I still can's assign it a function in FSX. :lol: :lol:

#12 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

View PostBell417, on Dec 12 2007, 11:07 PM, said:

Then you're in for one heck of a treat when you open it! Thanks for all the help guys, I haven't gotten to try it yet, today was full but I'm going to try tommorow. I already have the SST installed and it's great, I used it to set up mode 2 so that when I'm on final approach in a jet, I just flip the mode switch to mode 2 and as soon as my wheels are on the ground and I pull the throttle all the way back, the engines go into reverse thrust, much handier than having to hold down F2, I can tell you how to do it if you want.

Please tell me how to do that! Thanks!

#13 Bell417

Bell417

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

This should work but I only recreated it from memory, yell if you need more help.

1. Right click on the X52 Icon on the taskbar and select Profile Editor
2. Open your profile for FSX
3. Under the Shiftstate bar near the top of the screen select the mode you want to use when landing (I use Mode 2)
4. Scroll down to the throttle bar, click on the small arrow on the far right of the bar and select Bands
5. Pull the throttle all the way back and then put the mouse pointer as low as it will go without change back to the mouse icon (when you open the bands option an hold the mouse over the area where you can set the bands it change to a horizontal bar with a double ended arrow in the middle of it pointing vertically. Use this to select the threshold for when reverse thrust will kick in--generally as low as it can go)
6. Once you have that set, click on the green check mark icon on the top right of the throttle area
7. Then click in the small space between the line you just made and the bottom of the selection area. This should bring up a small box called Keypress Editor葉hen press the key (or combination of keys) that you have currently set to reverse thrust and then hit OK (the default reverse thrust button is F2)
8. Now save your profile.

BTW, I am happy to PM folks my X52 profile for FSX but I need to now if I only send the FSX.pro file or if I send both FSX.pro file and the FSX file (both are in the Program Files/Saitek/Software file)

Edited by Bell417, 17 December 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#14 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:55 PM

View PostBell417, on Dec 17 2007, 04:44 PM, said:

This should work but I only recreated it from memory, yell if you need more help.

3. Under the Shiftstate bar near the top of the screen select the mode you want to use when landing (I use Mode 2)
4. Scroll down to the throttle bar, click on the small arrow on the far right of the bar and select Bands
5. Pull the throttle all the way back and then put the mouse pointer as low as it will go without change back to the mouse icon (when you open the bands option an hold the mouse over the area where you can set the bands it change to a horizontal bar with a double ended arrow in the middle of it pointing vertically. Use this to select the threshold for when reverse thrust will kick in--generally as low as it can go)
6. Once you have that set, click on the green check mark icon on the top right of the throttle area
7. Then click in the small space between the line you just made and the bottom of the selection area. This should bring up a small box called Keypress Editor葉hen press the key (or combination of keys) that you have currently set to reverse thrust and then hit OK (the default reverse thrust button is F2)

BTW, I am happy to PM folks my X52 profile for FSX but I need to now if I only send the FSX.pro file or if I send both FSX.pro file and the FSX file (both are in the Program Files/Saitek/Software file)

Did you do that with the beta version of the programming software?

#15 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

View Postsuddste, on Dec 18 2007, 12:55 PM, said:

I don't think there is a beta version :lol:. You should be able to set a reverse thrust feature with the current software.

#16 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

View Postpwn247, on Dec 18 2007, 01:59 PM, said:

View Postsuddste, on Dec 18 2007, 12:55 PM, said:

I don't think there is a beta version :lol:. You should be able to set a reverse thrust feature with the current software.

There is a beta version. Here: http://www.saitekfor...ead.php?p=54261

The beta version looks very different to the old version of the software, look heres my BETA version of the X52 software:
Posted Image

#17 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

The beta version for me has worked well.  The pro version has a properties tab that allow you to change the color of the LEDs, manipulate the clutch button etc.

I think all of the SST softwares now produce exclusively .pr0 files.   Sure, pm what you have to me and I will check it out.

I have been setting up specific planes - not just FSX in general.  The controls needed for each plane vary widely depending on the functions of takeoff / landing etc.

Bman.

#18 Bell417

Bell417

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

I don't use the beta version but I might try it soon. I will PM you the .pr0 file after this, BMan. What do you mean you have been setting up profiles for different aircraft? I tried to set one up like that for the JetRanger where the throttle controled the engine and the precision slider controlled blade pitch but it hasn't worked out yet, maybe you could try it... Oh and the two files I have are FSX.DAT and FSX.pr0

Hey, I can't figure out how to upload that .pr0 file any ideas? The one idea I have is to upload it to the Avsim library as a download and then you could get it.

Edited by Bell417, 19 December 2007 - 02:24 PM.

#19 SNbrussels

SNbrussels

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

View PostBell417, on Dec 17 2007, 03:44 PM, said:

Thanks for the info, however, would this not make your plane go in to reverse thrust also when your throttle is simply at 0% idle on ground?

Thanks! Sorry for grave digging this thread!  :hrmm:

SN

#20 AirFranceSST

AirFranceSST

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:12 AM

:hrmm: This thread is from last year!

Yeah, way to bring it back to life...