277 replies to this topic

#261 4L3X

4L3X

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

Back again. Well I'm happy to report that I got the CPU to 3.0Ghz and it seems to be working fine. I tested with super_pi at 32M and no problem. I still have to test with OCCT, I'll tell you (guys :lol: ) what happens in 30 - 45 mins . Anyways here are some shots. I'm curious to know if the temperature is good? I've gotten an average of about 41 degrees C with SpeedFan and an average of 53 degrees C with Core Temp. So tell me what you guys think. I'll get back :lol:

desktop
Posted Image

CPU_Z
Posted Image

Temp with SpeedFan
Posted Image

Temp with Core Temp
Posted Image

end of testing (took 17 mins)
Posted Image

-Alex

#262 4L3X

4L3X

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:03 AM

OK, this is probably my last post reporting :lol:

So I did the OCCT testing and I am happy to report (again :lol: ) that the CPU is Stable :censored: But this time I am more concerned about the temperature.
With SpeedFan I got a max of 50 degrees and an average of about 47 with both cores at 100%
With Core Temp I got a max of 65 degrees and an average of about 61 with both cores at 100%

Keeping in mind that the CPU was at the absolute max (100%), would you (guys) say the temperature is fine or too hot?

Here are some shots:

desktop
Posted Image

CPU_Z (again :lol: )
Posted Image

temp with speed fan
Posted Image

temp with core temp
Posted Image

test completed - CPU stable
Posted Image

Please share your thoughts

-Alex

#263 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,362 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

Nicely done. Be advised that speedfan's Core Temperatures are off by exactly 15*c because it picks up the wrong Tjunction for your CPU (85*c vs 100*c). If you want to use speedfan instead of coretemp, just choose the temperature offset option in the settings of Speedfan and increase +15.

Looks stable, nicely done! My only suggestion to verify stability is to download ORTHOS and run the Blend Test overnight or for about 6-9 hours during the day. Blend test will test both your CPU and RAM and will make sure your components aren't erroring out.

#264 4L3X

4L3X

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

I couldn't stand the fact that the fact that the CPU was getting so hot so I decided to lower the voltage, and maybe I'll lower the heat. And so I did, and the CPU still appears to be stable in OCCT. Oh yeah, it is somewhat coller maybe 3 or 5 degrees. Not as much as I expected though. Anywways I'm happy with it. I'll get back to you if I get a new heatsink, in that case, I will overclock more :lol:

#265 Mul.

Mul.

• 15,362 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

Good stuff. Particularly if you've lowered voltage I suggest you run ORTHOS Blend overnight.

#266 4L3X

4L3X

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:44 PM

View PostMul., on Dec 7 2007, 04:34 PM, said:

Good stuff. Particularly if you've lowered voltage I suggest you run ORTHOS Blend overnight.

Sure, :lol:  I'll do that in about 12 hours when I go to bed :lol:

#267 Deeon

Deeon

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

Ahoy!

Now in my younger days I was quite in to overclocking. I remember OCing my Celeron 433 to 541, was so proud of that and gained quite few FPS in games. Then I also OCed AMD Barton 2500+ to work as Barton 3000+. Now when I'm days from getting new PC, somewhere deep inside of me OCer is waking up :lol:

Since I'll be getting Q6600, I know that proc OCes very well. But what I want to know is, how does OCing effect life of hardware? Can I expect shorter life span of components due to running almost non-stop on the edge?

#268 Mul.

Mul.

• 15,362 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Lifetime of the CPU doesn't seem to be reduced dramatically by overclocking (within reason).

As you'll know, the two issues are Heat and Voltage. Nowadays with CPU's having Thermal Protection they never fry like the AMD K7's and earlier did. Voltage will always remain an issue and this is what will kill your CPU. Electromigration becomes an issue over 1.6V with these CPU's. That being said, not even the best of watercooling kits will keep these Quad's below 70c with that voltage. You'll find yourself setting voltages to a max of ~1.4-1.45V on a Core 2 Quad and at these voltage there is nothing to worry about.

For a Core 2 Quad running fully loaded 24/7, ideally you'd want to keep the CPU temperatures below 70c and Voltages at or below 1.5V. Hope that helps

#269 Mul.

Mul.

• 15,362 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:45 PM

I've moved all Overclocking related queries and posts from the pinned thread to this post. Continue your discussions and queries here from now on :lol:

#270 notmyidea

notmyidea

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

Well, I decided to experiment with some more overclocking once I got an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Cooler.

I pushed the FSB to 400 on my Asus P5B MB and, um, fried it.  So, now I got a Gigabyte P35-DS3L M/B and a new E6750.  This M/B overclocks much better than the ASUS!!  I got the processor up to 3.4 GHz but it was running at ~65C under load.  Is this too hot?  Also, I was wondering about Voltage settings.  I really hate playing around with all those voltages (or maybe it is just I am impatient  :lol: ) so I just leave them on AUTO and let the M/B figure it out.  Is this ok?  I noticed that when I set a VCore manually, in CPU-Z it shows up as being about .5V less than whatever I set in the BIOS.

BTW, I now have a E6600 for sale...is there somewhere on here I can post that?

#271 Mul.

Mul.

• 15,362 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:23 AM

To set the voltage you want in bios, you need to work out, by how much does the voltage you set in BIOS vary with what you get while in windows with both cores loaded. If it's stable as is though, may as well leave it there.

65*c is alright for an E6750.

Unfortunately no you can't sell in Tech discussion. Sorry for the late response.

#272 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

Well if you're using speedfan, that would be really hot!

#273 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

I think most core 2 CPUs have an auto shutdown temp of 110c. At least, thats the shutdown temp of my Q6600.

#274 Mul.

Mul.

• 15,362 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

View Postlearjet45 aka JK, on Jan 6 2008, 05:02 PM, said:

I think most core 2 CPUs have an auto shutdown temp of 110c. At least, thats the shutdown temp of my Q6600.

Think you mean 100c.

Core 2 Duo B1/B2 Stepping: 85c
Core 2 Duo/Pentium L2 Stepping: 100c
Core 2 Duo/Pentium M0 Stepping: 100c
Core 2 Quad B3/G0: 100c.

#275 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

in my BIOS, the autoshutdown temp is 110c. I havent changed it. Who knows. Would it be smart for me to see if I can change it to 100c?

#276 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

I change my Q6600 G0 to 80*C for when I overclock it, just incase. It wouldn't die at that temp, right?

#277 Mul.

Mul.

• 15,362 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

You can't change the Tjunction of a CPU. What you might be able to do though is assign a shut down temperature in BIOS.

#278 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, that's what I changed, the shut-down temps. :lol: