47 replies to this topic

#1 Halmex

Halmex

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

Where can i found  FSX freeware or payware scenery for Kai Tak?

#2 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

View PostHalmex, on Dec 28 2007, 02:07 PM, said:

Where can i found  FSX freeware or payware scenery for Kai Tak?

:hilarious:

Start looking at this link and take a look at the link below.
http://www.ask.com/w...&...p;o=0&l=dir

I don't know if you have seen this… If not you have to look at it.
Landing at KAI   :lol: :lol:      W O W  :censored: :lol:    Let it load than play it for the full impact

http://www.videosift...ational-Airport

Tree Trimmer

#3 Paul Skol

Paul Skol

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:31 AM

You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://forums.avsim....ing_type=search

Can't take credit for the excellent mod, but the screenies there are mine, and show how the old approach is recreated.

#4 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:46 PM

Kai Tak was put out of service a while back- so in FSX Micro$oft decided not to include it- keeping the realism. But there are plenty of addon Kai Tak sceneries available, both payware and freeware. :lol:

#5 1mag1n3

1mag1n3

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:32 PM

Have you got any links to these?

#6 Paul Skol

Paul Skol

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

Try:

http://www.swiremari....com/cxhkg.html

#7 Ashton Lawson

Ashton Lawson

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

View PostPaul Skol, on Dec 30 2007, 04:04 PM, said:

Love that site.  Hong Kong FTW!

#8 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:38 AM

View PostStr!ker, on Jan 1 2008, 12:15 AM, said:

View PostPaul Skol, on Dec 30 2007, 04:04 PM, said:

Love that site.  Hong Kong FTW!

Hay Striker

How's that water project coming?

Tree Trimmer

#9 Capt_Gabe

Capt_Gabe

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:18 AM

Its a pity Kai Tak is not active in FSX, theres some interesting photos and comment here:
http://flythebush.bl...d-approach.html

#10 1mag1n3

1mag1n3

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:05 AM

It is a shame there is no sceneries for this amazing airport...
I flew into Kai Tak last night with the PMDG 747X and it was extremely difficult, since the aircraft is so realistic. I slammed it onto the deck with immense force, yet the undercarriage withstood it and came to a stop!
Anyway, i think this is mostly MS' fault since they didn't even include anything except the tarmac, and taxiways...
Surely someone already has added simple additions such as PAPI, or landing lights or something!!

Regards,
1mag

#11 jvile

jvile

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

It is a shame there is no sceneries for this amazing airport...

Kai Tak regardless of what has been said here is in both FS9 and FSX as a default Airport (VHHX)

I agree it is not a working airport so Kai Tak was made available back in April 2006 for FS9 and Sept 2007 for FSX.

Paul gave everyone here a link to the  swiremariners web site that host many versions including Kai Tak FS9, Kai Tak 1963, and Kai TaK for FSX.

The current and only Kai Tak for FSX is a completed airport with the checkerboard, the approach lighting, all Naviads, proper parking for the User and all AI Planes on Flightplans if you add those to Kai Tak.

All the AI Planes also fly the real world checkerboard IGS 13 approach same as the User plane with many many features added including animated Jetways, Living World ground animation, ship yard, new Airport Water/Ground texture cvx bgl's that agree with Google Earth Plus. All the Approach Transitions have also been added to the default FSX GPS receiver with holding patterns as per FSX ATC. The further you slide the scenery slider up the more you will see including all the animated/static water craft in the harbour.

If you have access to the AVSIM library then go to the following link for all types of exotic type AI Plane approach airports including the AI Planes flying into Innsbruck (LOWI), a full Amsderdam Package with a correct working EHAM and Aspen, CO. that the AI and User are required to fly a proper approach to clear the 14,000 ft mountains.

http://library.avsim...;Go=Change View

If you cannot acces the AVSIM library then use the link in post #6 and you will find the same files on that web Page toward the bottom.

For KAI TAK FSX both downloads are required. The V1.1 fixes the IGS Localizer freq that was not set per the pdf charts that are also part of the download.

My Airports work properly for SP1a, SP2 and Accel/SP2 both in DX9 and DX10 Preview mode.  

jim

Edited by jvile, 01 January 2008 - 06:50 PM.

#12 Capt_Gabe

Capt_Gabe

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for that Jim, I have those files, just got as far as reading the install readmes, hopefully I'll get it installed tonight, looking forward to a bit of swerving!

#13 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Jim, nice to see you around here too.  Looks like things are starting to happen around FSX now.  Just used ADE in my efforts to add GPS to the Acceleration Carrier.  I now have the EH101/F18 or whatever aircraft the user chooses spawning on top of the lift on the carrier deck.  The carrier is a static version but can initiate motion after it is in visual.  It can also be reached by GPS and the route to it followed.  Currently centred around Plymouth, plans for Iran/Iraq and a few others.  A work in progress at the moment.

Reider

#14 jvile

jvile

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

Capt Gabe

Once you get all the files loaded then add the patch V1.1 which resets the IGS 13 Localizer to the checkerboard to 111.90.  If not the Localizer is set at 111.95. If you add some AI Flightplans for VHHX I did not code a perfect approach for all the different type AI Heavy Planes that fly the IGS 13. I wanted a more relistic visual similar to the pictures you link above so the AI in some cases fight the tight curve at the checkerboard and don't always land perfectly.

There are some FP's on AVSIM for Kai Tak or if you have AI Planes flying into VHHH you can change some of the VHHH to VHHX and send into Kai Tak. You can then sit back and Plane Spot watching the Heavy AI Planes fly the Checkerboard and then make the right turn at the 3d model soccer field/park/checkerboard that is also added to the autogen scenery.

For those that fly Juneau Alaska (PAJN)  User/AI Planes fly the LDA approach to RWY 08 and the River visual Approach to RWY 26 with a left turn to align with the runway. This is the same approach that Alaska Airline flys which they enter into the FMC a GPS/RNAV approach down through the visual river valley.  

Aspen-Pitkin Co Sardy (FSX KASE)  the AI/User Planes can now fly the I-ASE LOC Approach to RWY 15 (double Localizers). KASE is coded for both VMC and IMC Airport conditions with proper altitude hardfloor/vectors from ATC. The descent rate for both the User and the AI is very steep and a missed approach requires flying the 2nd localizer as a backcourse to get out of KASE properly.

My FS9/FSX Innsbruck (LOWI) airport is a very complex approach system for both the User and AI Plane. RWY 08 and 26 are offset curved approaches. The AI Plane flys a valley approach to RWY 08 and a offset curve to RWY 26. The User Plane should use the charts supplied to fly pass LOWI descending through 7000 ft. when landing RWY 08.  A 180 degree turn to left downwind is then required at the correct NDB (pass the city of Innsbruck)  and then another 180 degree right turn at the power lines to align with RWY 08. This is the real world approach for LOWI RWY 08. If everything is done correctly ATC will clear you to land when on the left downwind to RWY 08. This approach is much harder then the IGS 13 of VHHX. All 180 degree turns in the valley of Innsbruck have to be done at less the 156 kts IAS and greater then 25 degree bank angles. If some one can land a B737 at Innsbruck on this approach to RWY 08 then they have accomplished one of the hardest approaches in all the world.  

My FSX Atlanta KATL pushes the envelope for AI like no other airport available to date. Regardless of what is sayed on web sites all 5 RWY's are active as arrival/departure runways and not just the outer 2 for arrival and the inner 2 for departure. KATL is also coded so the Outer 2 runways are weight restricted runways so based on the AI weight or the size plane the User is flying ATC will vector you to a correct runway for landing. All the Transitions as seen in the GPS reciever are tied to the new STAR RNAV (MACEY TWO STAR which is the busiest in the world is replaced with 2 new STAR's) arrivals. I give examples on "How To" program and fly one of the RNAV STAR's that begins 350 to 400 NM's from KATL and then Transition onto the correct arrival as per ATC and real world arrivals. Because KATL has over 350 parking spots a full load of AI Planes is only for the most powerful computers if sliders are set to a high value.

My recommendation is to use the Active ILS - Revised Hartsfield - Jackson Atlanta Intl Airport (KATL) which is a lite version. The Active ILS - KATL (Hartsfield - Jackson Atlanta Intl Airport) version is a projected long term airport version that has the projected Commuter, Cargo and International Terminal which is not for low to mid size computers.    

Miami FSX (KMIA) is also a very busy airport that I used my Crosswind Runway technique that I introduced in April 2004. Once again like KATL all runways are both arrival and departure runways based on winds and visiblity (less then or greater then 3 miles)

Amsterdam Schiphol - EHAM Netherlands Package is 6 Enhanced Airports with EHAM as the focal point airport. All airports in that package have enhanced FSX scenery and correct parking. However EHAM is the most complex with all runways working properly. Runway 04/22 is a restricted weight runway so anything larger then a B737-500 are vectored to a longer runway for both departure and arrival. This includes both the User Plane and AI Planes. When AI Planes are landing simutanously on Runway 22, 27, 18C and 18R, runway 24 is a VORDME curved approach runway. ALL Planes including the User if assigned that runway for arrival are required to fly the VORDME from PAM VOR and then make a lazy left turn to final. Watch AI Planes landing RWY 24. That arrival parallels the approach to RWY 27 but Planes are higher in altitude for proper seperation. If you look at all the approach Transition code for the default EHAM as per the GPS receiver it does not take long to realize that FSX is very corrupt in this area. Many hours was spent rewitting all the approach code so each STAR (ARTIP, RIVER, SUGOL plus special night RNAV's) can be flown correctly (including all Transitions) with the User Airplane and if flying on Vatsim.

Other FSX airports listed on my link such as  Sacramento Intl (KSMF) v1.1,  Active ILS - Trenton Ontario Canada (CYTR),  Active ILS - Lesage Intl Quebec Canada (CYQB), etc are there to address the default ILS/Localizer misalignments that inadvertantly got coded into FSX.

Active ILS Savannah/Hilton Head Intl (KSAV) v1.2 is the home of Gulfstream. Many Users that use this airport loaded it up with GII, GIII, GIV, and GV AI Planes so they park at the manufacturing plants added to my KSAV. Military also has a strong presents at KSAV so those are coded also.

If you want to look at the actual airports I design then you must use the new freeware Airport Design Editor program utility (v1.05 or later) ADE Home Edtion found on FSdeveloper. My airports are examples of what the new ADE Pro Edition when released will do for the more advaned airport designer.

DO NOT open and save any of my airports with the payware AFX Utility that is available and hosted by Flight1 software.

jim

Reider

Glad to see you working with the Accel Carrier.

I had a request to bury the Accel Carrier into the ground of a runway at a military airport. I buried the carrier so the flight deck was at the same elevation of the NAS Airports runway . This allows carrier base landings to be practiced on a runway with all the features of the accel carrier (meatball, arrestor cables, etc).

A simple added bgl with the Library GUID and a MSL altitude used will do this. Of course the carrier is not going to move but allows for practice arrestor cable landings like many Military airports have on runways if the Accel/SP2 DVD has been losde into FSX .

#15 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:23 AM

This is similar but at sea.  The static version is the ordinary high detail carrier, it was purported to be the UID for the Acceleration version but obviously isn`t.  The second version is gained from aicarrier2 and whilst static on the water it has full GPS, after landing or when in visual the user can decide to set it in motion.  I set an invisible runway at 20m to get on the deck and embed the coordinates for the GPS.  To this I added a cross runway with a start point on the top of the lift shaft-this took some effort to get just right.  Now, the spawned aircraft sits at the top of the marked shaft facing into the centre of the carrier but still allowing any more aircraft to land.

I would be very interested in the UID you used or alternative method to get the acceleration carrier to a given set of decimal coordinates.  I do not like having to rely on aicarrier2 to get the model there in the second option.  I am using the add on folder so this may have some bearing on why I get the ordinary carrier instead of the working one.

UID in use {93615C8E49A997893DECB0B7E625262A}

Reider

Edited by reider, 02 January 2008 - 08:27 AM.

#16 jvile

jvile

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

VEH_carrier01_high_detail
{93615C8E-9789-49A9-B7B0-EC3D2A2625E6}
size: 110.99, 60.92, 314.75

{93615C8E-9789-49A9-B7B0-EC3D2A2625E6} is the Accel dated 09/26/2007 animated enhanced carrier. You are not calling the correct carrier (make sure your GUID has the dash's) because it is a Global world scenery texture. It looks like you GUID is the older style format.

Here is the XML to sink the Carrier into the ground of a runway.

The following will compile but set your Lat/Lon and reset alt="0.0F" and altitudeIsAgl="FALSE" back to "TRUE"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<SceneryObject
lat="30.4886660111116"
lon="-81.6961177930335"
alt="-32.0F"
altitudeIsAgl="FALSE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
heading="130.630"
imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject
name="{93615c8e-9789-49a9-b7b0-ec3d2a2625e6}"
scale="1.00" />
</SceneryObject>

</FSData>

Several cautions

I use TcalcX to get a good decimal Lat/Lon for where I want the Carrier. For placing at a runway and bury you MUST change the default altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" to "FALSE" like I have already done. This unlocks the elevation and allows you to sink the carrier into the ground for any type Library Object. That does not work on Generic Objects but this Carrier is a Library model and a animated AI Ship in the SimObjects\Boat folder added by the Accel DVD.

The NAS airport runway I am sitting at is 30 ft MSL. I set the alt="-32.0F" which is a total of 62ft. If you want the deck heigth to match the ground it needs to be a little lower. I did not measure the deck height accuratly of the Carrier but it appears to be right at 71 ft based on eyepoint of 3.8 ft for a Cess 172.

Let me know if you still have problems calling this high detailed animated Carrier into your scenery. The bgl should be placed into the addon scenery\scenery folder because it has fallback.1 and .2  added to the textures and may not call correctly if added to a non-compliant folder.

Edited by jvile, 02 January 2008 - 09:04 AM.

#17 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

I found it by searching the ADE forum, lol.  I used that UID before and it wouldn`t work.  so I copied your code example with that UID exactly as read and changed lon/lat.  Still getting the old carrier.  So I deleted it, doublechecked the xml, and recompiled.  Placed in Addon Scenery\Scenery and still getting the old non acceleration carrier........???

Reider

#18 jvile

jvile

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

There are several places you must check to see if the Carrier exsit on your computer.

The SimOjects\Boats folder must have the vehicle_carrier01_high_detail_sm folder with subfolders Model, Sound, Soundai and Texture.

Now the Scenery\Global\Scenery folder must have the vehicles_water.bgl dated 09/26/2007 which is the Accel update

Scenery\Global\Texture folder is where the carrier texture nest

VEH_carrier01_high_detail    {93615c8e-9789-49a9-b7b0-ec3d2a2625e6}

Ut oh

Looks like SP2 has moved the enhanced carrier that was in SP1a and it is no longer in the texture folder. Let me see where SP2 put it.

#19 jvile

jvile

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

I just confirmed that SP2 has deleted the animated carrier from the texture folder and is now calling the older style carrier using the current animated proper GUID.

Its going to take a few minutes to find out what ACES did so bare with me but we should find a work around.

Edited by jvile, 02 January 2008 - 09:55 AM.

#20 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

Checked all of those and all in place barring the last one. I see where you`re coming from.  With the advent of SP2 they took out the Global Texture for the acceleration carrier.  I wonder if the pre SP2 .dds file placed in the Global texture folder would work.....  I haven`t got it but just a thought.  aicarrier2 must be calling it from somewhere.

Reider