24 replies to this topic

#1 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hey, I managed to make a trackIR-like head tracker for the grand total of USD $27, and I figured I'd show you all how. It's all possible with software called Free-Track. It's a software that uses webcams to track points of light and convert them to head movements in the game. It works exactly like trackIR, so it works with every game that trackIR works with. The only downfall with it is the fact that it uses the computer CPU to do all the tracking, whereas trackIR has a small CPU inside the camera to do that - improves in-game FPS but it also jacks up the price tenfold. You can get free-track here:
http://www.free-track.net

In case people are interested, this is how head trackers work: there has to be a bright point of light that a camera can pickup, and seperate from the background. This is done with either infrared LEDs mounted on a headset or hat, or with reflectors that reflect infrared light from a different source. Head tracking software is able to translate this into head movements depending on the number of points. With one point, it translates it into 2 degrees of freedom (DOF), which is pitch and yaw. This allows you to look around but not move or roll. With 3 points, it's able to track 6DOF, which is pitch, yaw, left and right movements, up and down movements, forward and backward movements, and roll.

This is a good example of a 4-point cap, which isn't needed. A 3 point cap is pretty much the same, except without the bottom-middle point. We'll be making a 3 point clip which is 3 points aligned up the side of a headset. This video shows how you can see the guy's movements with just 4 points of light.

For this tutorial, you'll need to get yourself a nighvision webcam. I found a great one at newegg, the KINAMAX WCM-6LNV. It's $15, and comes with 6 infrared LEDs that turn on in low light. Having these LEDs will save us time and money, because otherwise we'd need to make a cap with 3 LEDs on it, which requires tools that many don't have, and you'd always be replacing batteries. You can get the camera here:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16830200001

Next, you'll need a headset. Any headset will probably work, you'll just need to modify how you attach your clip and reflectors to it. You'll also need some reflective tape. Go to the automotive section at walmart, and you should find some. The white tape works best, a roll of it is about $10. Lastly, you'll need some cardboard, scotch tape, and a metal coathanger.

Now, lets get started.

Connect your new nightvision webcam and install the drivers. After you confirm it's working, get something that will block light from entering the light censors. These determine whether the IR LEDs are on or not - since you'll probably be flying both in day and night, you don't want the LEDs to shut off when the sun's shining into the room. Some webcams have two light censors, one on the top and one on the front. Block both of those with something very dark, I used electrical tape.

After this, you'll need to make the clip. Take some wire cutters to your metal coathanger. You want the straight portion on the bottom, so cut that away from the rest of the hanger. When that's done, you want to bend it in one position so it looks like this from a side view:

Posted Image

After that's done, you want to take the ends and bend them so they're 90 degrees up/down. It'll be easier to do this with pliers. This will make it easier to mount the reflectors on the ends. It should look like this from the side after you bend the ends:

Posted Image

Now you have to make two cardboard squares to put on the ends of the hanger. These will make it easier to stick the reflectors on there. Get some scissors and cut two squares, each about 1 inch by 1 inch. After this, stick the cardboard on the ends of the hanger. Don't tape them on there yet, you'll have to make some adjustments to their angle when you're fine tuning the tracker.

Next, get your reflective tape. You'll have to cut out three circles, each with a diameter of at least 0.75 inches. You'll want to put them on some cardboard or strong paper to give them rigidness. I just got a good 3 inch strip or so and stuck it on some cardboard, then cut out the 3 circles from that. Make sure the circles are nice and big, otherwise you won't be able to turn your head as much or get too far away from the webcam.

Now you need to tape two of the reflectors to your little cardboard squares. After this, tape your coat hanger to the headset. You'll have to use a good mount of tape to make sure the hanger stays in place and doesn't move around on the headset. You'll also have to position the hanger on the headset to where it will be perfectly vertical, or as close as you can get. It doesn't have to be perfect, so don't beat yourself up if you can't get it...it just has to be close. After this, take your third reflector and tape it onto the headset where you taped the hanger.  

Look at how I did it if you need some help, it works great for me:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Construction is now complete :lol: You just have to fine tune the reflectors now. Remember the cardboard squares we left able to pivot around? Well we did this because we need to position them so we get the most use out of the reflectors. The middle reflector will be the target for the top and bottom reflectors, since we can't move it. Get into Free-Track and change the settings so it only sees the three reflectors (I set exposure to the minimum setting and that works fine) Now turn your head to one direction until the tracker no longer sees the middle reflector. Now you need to pivot your top and bottom reflectors until they disappear at that exact same point as well. Now when you turn your head up/down/left/right all the reflectors should disappear at the same point.

Now take some tape and tape the cardboard squares to the hanger in a way that will prevent them from turning. It's not the most sturdy, but don't treat it like crap and it should work great. You should be finished now, I'm not going to give you a tutorial on how to use and setup freetrack since there are a ton of resources for that.

Good luck with making it, and ask questions if you can't figure some stuff out. Post if you have some success with this design too :lol:

#2 Highlander.

Highlander.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

Now that is cool :lol:

#3 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:43 AM

dude. thats impressive. I set mine up today and works amazing. this needs to be pinned. period.

#4 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

Sweettttt!
:lol:  :lol:  :censored:

Erm, no hestiation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, PIN IT!

#5 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

thanks guys :lol:

#6 flowmp

flowmp

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

:censored:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#7 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

Nice tut. If Freetrack wwasnt so CPU intensive it would be prefect :lol:

#8 smonkcaptain

smonkcaptain

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

This is good for a 5 minute mess around! Just get TrackIR cheap skates :lol:

#9 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:32 PM

View Postsmonkcaptain, on Jan 15 2008, 03:04 PM, said:

maybe we have better things to spend our money on :lol:

#10 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

Awesome tutorial!

PIN IT! PIN IT! PIN IT! PIN IT!

#11 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

Great tut! :lol:

But you do look awfully silly wearing that :lol: :hrmm:

#12 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:25 AM

View Postsmonkcaptain, on Jan 15 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

Not that you intended for your post to ooze arrogance :lol:

#13 SergeBMW

SergeBMW

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

Great post, found this the other day on Freetracks website, I whent ahead and did the 6DOF lol I look like the guy on Splinter Cell with the Lights on top, mine is using 4 LEDs and it works smoothly if you have a good CPU or Dual Core, definently has to be pinned!

Edited by SergeBMW, 22 January 2008 - 04:37 PM.

#14 Windowseat

Windowseat

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

crickey! common theres a bit of difference between that and trackir!

#15 Speedbird 933

Speedbird 933

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:21 AM

:lol: Woo for us cheapskates! I wonder how well it would work if I put a few LEDs on my headset connected to a battery pack lmao.

Considering i don't have any money right now because all the money I have is going towards a macbook later this year I may just try this :lol:

Edited by MON001A, 10 February 2008 - 05:22 AM.

#16 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

View PostWindowseat, on Feb 9 2008, 03:31 PM, said:

crickey! common theres a bit of difference between that and trackir!
they may look a little different, but in reality they're the same thing :lol:

#17 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

Flying Pie...I'll buy you a beer :lol:

Great tutorial and nice simple idea as well!  :lol:

Edited by ThrottleUp, 12 February 2008 - 04:14 PM.

#18 Martel

Martel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

This is pretty cool.  I was just thinking about trying this using the LED method, but I'd rather not have to wire my own headpiece.
Reflective tape would be real easy :lol:

So, this works 100% well for you with the tape? (In FS)
Could you post a screen of the FreeTrack screen that shows the lights on a black background?
I want to see how well the cam pics up these reflectors.

Posted Image

I can get a similar webcam for $9.99.  (probably same thing, just sold under a different name here).

Thanks

#19 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

PIN IT! I've been wanting to buy TrackIR, but its too :lol: expensive!

GREAT STUFF MAN! I can ACTUALLY afford this! Going to newegg and buying right now!!

#20 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

Say pie, is there any way to work it so you don't need such a cumbersome setup on ones headset? Any way to make it looks compact and neat yet still work great?

Ex. Say if I put one reflector above both ear speaker things, then one at the top of the headset. All of them directly on the headset, no wires popping out anywhere. Is that possible?

Edited by cfschris, 23 March 2008 - 03:21 PM.