- - - - -

May 2004 Screenshot Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Who deserves to win? (103 member(s) have cast votes)

Who deserves to win?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#41 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:14 AM

WarrenGmon,

I am sorry that your shot didn't make it in, but from my point of view you should have known better than to submit that shot with the text on the bottom of it. In all of the screenshot contest has Byron ever put a shot like that in the contest? I don't think so........I really don't see how it would affect wether the shot was questionable as a edit or whatever reason Byron had for not entering it, but I'm sure he's got a good one......You don't need a screenshot utility, the Prnt. Scrn. button then pasting to paint works fine for me as well as a lot of other people that are to poor like myself to afford any kind of photo editing software.

Again, I'm sorry that your shot and other peoples shots didn't get in the contest, but there's really no excuse that anyone can use other than a death in the family or something serious like that, that would make me feel any kind of compassion.

This is not directed at any one person, but if you've been on this forum for longer than one month then you either don't pay enough attention to what's going on or don't care enough to abide by the terms of it to get your shot in on time.

I stayed up all night long so that I could get my shot entered at 6:00am EST when the contest started. I watched the countdown timer and as soon as it hit 0:00 remaining I submitted my pic to Byron. Again this isn't directed at any one person, but if you're interested enough to get your shot in on time in the right format then I'm sure that you'll be able to have your shot in the contest. A litle dedication and effort is required though because I really don't think that we are going to change the contest around again, just because someone can't get the concept of when the contest starts and what is allowed in it.

However, that's not up to me, that's up to the mods of the forum and Byron as to what they want to do with it. They have done a superb job so far in making it as fair as possible and I really do hope that they continue to improve it as time goes on.

#42 ForD_MusTanG 2005

ForD_MusTanG 2005

formerly HyperActive2005

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts
  • Location:new york city (staten island) KEWR newark intl (new jersey) is the closest airport to me

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:37 AM

warrengmon, you said scren shot utility and thats what my ss taking program is called so thats what i thought u ment

#43 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 02:13 PM

I agree with what peeps were saying about begung in school, its a bit unfair becuase last contest mine was the second to last shot that was accepted, and I almost didn't make it.

Theres gotta be some improvement done to this contest :o

Edited by Fox666, 03 May 2004 - 02:50 PM.

#44 --FlyEr--

--FlyEr--

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

I don't know about you guys... but my shot wasn't accepted although I sent it to Byron on time  B) I wait the hole month to enter in the contest with a shot so don't came telling me that it wasn't delivered on time   :P  anyway, here it is:

Posted Image

I thing the rules are :o

Edited by --FlyEr--, 03 May 2004 - 03:29 PM.

#45 Hornet

Hornet

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:57 PM

I guess I will wait next month to submit my shot.

#46 Tom.D

Tom.D

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:56 PM

Guys if you got a problem take it up with Byron or someone who has something to do with it.  I don't meen to be mean but we don't relly care :P

Anyway i gave mine to 6 although there were some awsome entries this month!  Everyone keep up the awsome work! B)  ;)  :o

#47 Derek

Derek

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:21 PM

ahh no fair my computer was busted come entry time  :o   have to reload flight sim... what a tragic way to start a month.

#48 Leginmat

Leginmat

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:31 AM

Not trying to cause trouble :P but why are we complaining so much to Byron? B) I didn't get my shot accepted even though I sent it in like 20 mins after reading Byrons sig (countdown B) ) but that was due to something else :P If your shot wasn't accepted, well, just wait for next month! :blink: FS2004.com is also giving lots of $$$ prizes away for FREE to the winner who only has to press a button on the keyboard so yea :lol: Hope you all have better luck getting in next time :o I will hopefully be one of them in entries next time! ;) :huh:

Edited by Leginmat, 04 May 2004 - 02:32 AM.

#49 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:16 AM

I can fully understand why people are upset about the rules and guidelines that pertain to the contest and I believe that they need to be worked on some more as well.

I have been in contact with Byron, Jon, and Brad about a questionable pic in the contest this month because of a anonomity issue. The contest was changed a while back to level the playing field as much as possible by doing away with the member names with their respective picture to ward off favoritism, but my point isn't getting across to them for some reason.

They are saying that it's a technicality in the rules that they are going to let the [number removed] pic stay in the contest when it has already been posted here on the forum in this thread! [link removed] Everyone that saw the thread already knows who's shot it is and I just think that its wrong to let it say in the contest when its author is known to everyone who saw the thread!

It's no different than telling everyone which shot is yours on here so that's what I'm going to do to and maybe I'll get some more votes....My shot is [number removed] What [name removed] has done is just blatant cheating on his part. He took a bunch of payware shots and had his own little contest between them and then used the one that got the most responses and entered it in the contest. That's WRONG, it's not right and I don't have any respect for someone that has to do that to win the contest!

I would personally like to ask that my pic be withdrawn from the contest and I hope that more people do the same because there's really no point in being associated with something that rewards people who cheat wether they know they are doing it or not! I don't have any hard feelings towards anyone but I sure have lost the respect that I once had for some people.

So Byron, Brad, Jon and whoever else that has the power, please remove my pic from the contest because I really don't want to be apart of it any longer. Thank you and I hope that I can open some peoples eyes in the process of doing this as to why I did it.

I guess I'll never be a screenshot hotshot now!

Edited by Brad, 04 May 2004 - 10:08 AM.

#50 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:49 AM

Well well, we can always count on the screenshot contest for some good old fashioned controversy now can't we!

Groudon, I edited your post to remove the links and the names/numbers identifying certain entries - I know why you posted them but from now on save it until the contest is over.  And as we (you, Byron, Jon & I) discussed privately, the entry in question was allowed to stand because our rules didn't state or imply that one couldn't use a shot previously posted.  Sure it's borderline, but rules are rules and it wasn't a rule this month.  It will be one next month however, as we identify issues from each contest to make future events even better. And considering that only screenshot forum junkies would recognize that entry in the first place (I didn't recognize it myself and I'm a SS junkie!), I think it's not as big of an issue as it's being perceived.

And for those of you that are upset that your entry didn't make the cut, let Byron know privately and he'll let you know why.  Jon and I have full confidence in Byron and we believe he's doing an awesome job with the contest.  He follows the rules - what more can we ask.  He gets absolutely slammed with PMs for this event so give him a break if he doesn't respond right away.

And as for the time issue, I can't think of a better way for us to do it.  Jon's idea to change the entry time by 6 hrs each month is simply brilliant.  And the new timer?  Even better!  We have members from all over the world that want to enter the contest and this is a great way to accomodate everyone's schedules.  Of course it won't fit your schedule every month, but getting upset about that fact is pretty selfish IMO.  When a month rolls around that it does fit your schedule and you're submitting your shot, just think about someone on the other side of the world getting up at 4am to submit theirs - then you'll appreciate it.

And let me just say that I am thoroughly impressed with the entries this month - I'm still narrowing my favorites down and it's no easy task!  The winner will have certainly earned the prize this month (and thanks again to Justin over at FSGenesis for another awesome prize!).  I am definitely one proud admin to have an event of this caliber around - and the credit goes to each and every one of you.  You work hard to submit great entries, and you show your concern by letting us know about it when you have an issue with the contest that pisses you off.  That's what makes it great, and I thank you. :o

#51 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:37 AM

I would still like for my pic to be removed because I don't want to have to compete against someone that feels they have to do that to win against me or anyone else. If he didn't do it on purpose then all I can say is that he should have had more integrity not to enter a pic that has already been seen by scores of people.

Again, I sincerely hope that other people do the same if they have the same kind of morals and self awareness as I do.

I myself spent a lot of time trying to get the best shot that I could to enter into the contest so I could compete against other people that submitted their best shot that they could manage to get. When someone just submits a shot that they've already taken no matter how long ago it was or if it was recent like the topic pic. It makes all the hard work that went into the shots that were created by people who want to do their best seem meaningless.

That's why I want my pic removed......I don't wish to have to compete against someone that doesn't take the time to be creative and original as I and many other people try to do every month.

Thanks, groudon39

Edited by groudon39, 04 May 2004 - 11:39 AM.

#52 ForD_MusTanG 2005

ForD_MusTanG 2005

formerly HyperActive2005

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts
  • Location:new york city (staten island) KEWR newark intl (new jersey) is the closest airport to me

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:54 AM

my shot is a last minute shot :P i didn't expect many vote although my shot looks pretty kool im not saying which ;) but i entered for the fun of it B) this is what its all about right? :o

#53 Concept

Concept

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:58 AM

number 12 i think -- great angle and great plane :o WELL DONE!

#54 Leginmat

Leginmat

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:20 PM

HyperActive2oo4, on May 4 2004, 11:54 AM, said:

my shot is a last minute shot :P i didn't expect many vote although my shot looks pretty kool im not saying which B) but i entered for the fun of it B) this is what its all about right? :o
Agreed! this is all for fun! ;) I just love taking SS's so I sometimes give it a try on the contest :blink: Thanks to all for making this contest up! even though I don't get my shot in, I still love enjoying voting and seeing what people have come up with and their amazing! :huh: Great Job to Byron also for making this contest a blast!!!  :lol:

#55 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:51 PM

--FlyEr--

Your shot wasn't accepted becuase its over 800*600 :o

#56 FLY CRJ

FLY CRJ

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:43 PM

5, 11, 20 Wow what a close race!   :o The close of this contest is gonna be a photo finish!

#57 Hornet

Hornet

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:06 PM

After a very very tough decision. I had to go with #15 for the amazing clouds and the reflections on the aircraft. Great shots entered this month.

#58 Znoopy

Znoopy

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:42 AM

:/ I dunno why the 5 is so popular...

I prefer number 4!!!

#59 --FlyEr--

--FlyEr--

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:30 AM

Fox666, on May 4 2004, 05:51 PM, said:

--FlyEr--

Your shot wasn't accepted becuase its over 800*600 B)
what???  :o you must be joking... :P

#60 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 01:53 PM

Joking?  If the pic you submitted to Byron is the same one you posted in your last post then that's definitely why it was rejected.  That pic is definitely oversized.  800*600 has been one of the rules since the beginning.  :o