32 replies to this topic

#21 smonkcaptain

smonkcaptain

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:35 AM

I agree that pilot should have the same tests as the contollers do before there aloud to fly. I was most probably the same when i first joined, but its all about practice.

#22 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Very well said. I just learned the basics from flying with default ATC :lol: then adapted real world procedures :lol:

#23 mark_90

mark_90

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

View Postsmonkcaptain, on May 7 2008, 06:35 AM, said:

I agree that pilot should have the same tests as the contollers do before there aloud to fly. I was most probably the same when i first joined, but its all about practice.
VATSIM is coming up on its 7th anniversary. There are 163874 registered users so if you say 80% of these will fly online at some point. Thats 64 new pilots a day!! Even if half of them remain inactive on VATSIM it's still 30 a day. Good luck setting that training scheme up.

#24 Daniel Brennan

Daniel Brennan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

It takes time yes but using common courtesy and manners takes no time and theres no excuse for them lack of them which some pilots and controllers seem to have in their bank of 'accolades'

#25 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:31 PM

Oh how i loved this bit "He then said in a awful tone : Roger EGJJ compton 3 dept. initial Fl60 sqk 7775 and taxi short C1 E1 runway 33 is that any good?"        Which resulted in: "Negative."  :lol:

EDIT: oh and juuust a guess while im browsing but your pilot might have been this chap ...maybe?  

http://www.flightsim...p;#entry1789236

Edited by spam3d, 07 May 2008 - 05:36 PM.

#26 smonkcaptain

smonkcaptain

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

View Postmark_90, on May 7 2008, 02:33 PM, said:

View Postsmonkcaptain, on May 7 2008, 06:35 AM, said:

VATSIM is coming up on its 7th anniversary. There are 163874 registered users so if you say 80% of these will fly online at some point. Thats 64 new pilots a day!! Even if half of them remain inactive on VATSIM it's still 30 a day. Good luck setting that training scheme up.

Would you rather 163,874 dumb incorrect pilots or 10,000 professional acting pilots?

#27 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:15 PM

View Postspam3d, on May 7 2008, 05:31 PM, said:

Oh how i loved this bit "He then said in a awful tone : Roger EGJJ compton 3 dept. initial Fl60 sqk 7775 and taxi short C1 E1 runway 33 is that any good?"        Which resulted in: "Negative."  :lol:

EDIT: oh and juuust a guess while im browsing but your pilot might have been this chap ...maybe?  

Who are you talking about? Me? Err, nope.  
Not even a good guess.  Why would you assume that?
Out of 163,874 Vatsim flyers...  that would be amazing!

Baffled.

Regardless, not even close.  I am pleasantly making short hops in GA craft with nothing but two fists full of questions.
I am currently reading "Say Again, Please - Guide to Radio Communications" to help out the correct learning curve.  Lots of good information in that book.

Bman.

Edited by Bman., 07 May 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#28 Evan.

Evan.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

View PostNavy2, on May 5 2008, 11:54 PM, said:

The British controllers down at ZLA are a-holes.

All of the ZLA controllers are fantastic.

#29 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

I had a good experience on ZLA last time I was over there.  The controller informed me that I didn't have the right departure - he sent me a link to the correct one and away we went.   I am about to do the ZLA training (registered anyway) but always feel like they are too busy to do the training..  

Bman.

#30 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:32 AM

View PostBman., on May 8 2008, 05:15 AM, said:

View Postspam3d, on May 7 2008, 05:31 PM, said:

Who are you talking about? Me? Err, nope.  
Not even a good guess.  Why would you assume that?
Out of 163,874 Vatsim flyers...  that would be amazing!

Baffled.

Regardless, not even close.  I am pleasantly making short hops in GA craft with nothing but two fists full of questions.
I am currently reading "Say Again, Please - Guide to Radio Communications" to help out the correct learning curve.  Lots of good information in that book.

Bman.
Why would he be talking about you? :lol:

He linked to ronixpilot's post...

#31 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:46 AM

BMAN i was reffering to the topic poster im sure your vatsim skills are fine :lol:

#32 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

Ha - I see.  I take back everything I said about you spam3d...
I dunno, I saw my post right in the middle..I blame my avatar with the kid.  It caught my attention right of the bat.  :lol:

My Vatsim skills are not fine though for the record or at least I don't think so... hence the campaign to get this going : http://www.flightsim...howtopic=145143

Since there are some online flyers here, go post your support if you think it's warranted around here.

Bman.

#33 -Toshiba-

-Toshiba-

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:11 AM

ROFL!!! LOL!!! HAHAH!! That made my day!