#1 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

Summary

Alright, I know there are a few people on here that are into GA flying and bush flying, so I think I've got an event to appeal to you guys. Every year, before the Iditarod, all of the supplies are flown to the checkpoints along the race route by a volunteer fleet of bush planes, known as the Iditarod Air Force. Pilots bring their own aircraft and help out with flying straw, course markers, dog food, people food, med supplies, clothes, and lots of other things that the race needs to be able to take place. If we got our own little FSW fleet together with a couple of guys to hand out assignments, then we could have ourselves a nice bush flying event.

The real 2009 IAF schedule starts the load out on the 22nd and continues through that week, but since most of us have school and work to deal with, I figure we can do the event on the 21st and 22nd; we'll have to figure out a timeframe for both days, real world is 9AM to 5PM local time (GMT-10).

Plan/schedule:

On the first day, the fleet will fly out of Willow Airfield in Anchorage to take supplies to the Yenta, Skwenta, Finger Lake, and McGrath checkpoints. McGrath is about halfway along the route, and the fleet will spend the night there.

On day 2, the IAF will fly out of McGrath to distribute supplies along the second half of the Iditarod route; Kaltag, Shaktoolik, Elim, and White Mountain checkpoints.

Here's a map to give you an idea of where we'll be headed:
Posted Image
Image from http://www.iditarod.com

Execution

This is just a rough draft, so include any comments and ideas you have.

Participants can logon anytime during the event and ask to be dispatched a flight. One of the dispatchers (see below if you'd like to be one) will then give the plane a destination and cargo load. The pilot will make the flight, then call up again to see where they're headed next. You, as the pilot, can let the dispatcher know where you've gone so the dispatcher can try to vary it up a bit for you.

Note that flights will range from 20nm to over 200, and although I know most of you guys like your shorter flights, please try to do some longer flights as well. No one can make you do the longer flights, but our goal is to get the supplies to where they need to go, including some of the further off checkpoints, so we'd like any help we can to accomplchat goal.

Aircraft

Aircraft is the pilots' choice, but be aware that this is real bush flying; 1000ft landing strips with 50ft tall trees on either end of the strip isn't uncommon, so choose an aircraft that you would expect at a strip with those kinds of accomodations. Also, it's winter in Alaska, so it would be wise to choose an aircraft that you're familiar with, especially for you guys using real world weather.

A few of the checkpoints are, in the real world, frozen over lakes. But, lakes don't freeze in FS, so those would be a good opportunity for you floatplane pilots to break out your amphibians (McGrath and Anchorage are both on land, so you need tires). Guys with no floats can still land at those checkpoints, just try to make it on the beach.

Scenery

There are several scenery enhancements to make the event more enjoyable, but six of them are required to install the checkpoint scenery. The checkpoint scenery is from 2004, so it's not of amazing quality but it gets the job done.

Required files:
http://library.avsim...D...&DLID=44511
http://library.avsim...D...&DLID=44607
http://library.avsim...D...&DLID=44637
http://library.avsim...D...&DLID=44379
http://library.avsim...D...&DLID=44381
http://library.avsim...D...&DLID=44383

FS Freeware has also made some 38m mesh for FS9, covering all of Alaska. This isn't required, but it can definitely spice up your flight.
http://library.avsim...D...&DLID=53009
http://library.avsim...D...&DLID=53017

Signup

Pilots interested, please make a post here to let me know you're going to fly. It won't be required, but knowing the aircraft involved and how many will help me setup everything. Please include:

Name (to be used online):
Aircraft:

Dispatching

Anyone interested in dispatching the flights, PM me. Duties will be fairly simple: we have over 150,000lbs of goods to ship out to all of the checkpoints, and the dispatchers' jobs will be to decide where supplies need to go. You, as dispatcher, will tell the pilots where they need to go and how much stuff they're taking with them, as well as keeping track of how many supplies are at each checkpoint and how many supplies each checkpoint needs, so you can decide where to send flights. You can do this while you're flying or just sit on the ground and do it, I don't really care, but it would be nice to get a few guys doing it throughout the day so one person doesn't have to sit and dispatch for the entire event.

During the Race

The IAF also deals with transporting Iditarod officials along the race route as well as injured dogs (dropped dogs) and mushers back to Anchorage. We could do this as well if there's enough interest, possibly the 7th or 8th of March. Basically how that works is there's a group of planes that flies ahead of the race and a group that hangs back. If there's an injured dog, the musher will load it onto one of the planes that's ahead of the race, then the pilot will fly it to the base where the planes following the race are at, and one of those pilots will take the dog to Anchorage. I don't know if there would be much interest in it, it would be more like a group flight than anything with a few guys going backwards every once in awhile, but if you guys are interested let me know.

=====================

I just sort of threw this whole thing together, so there may be some stuff I missed. If you've got comments/suggestions let me know. I'd like to set this up and get a good showing, because if we got a good turn-out it would be a real fun event. After some thinking I decided it would be best to hold it on the FSW server, and all of you that are VATSIM-only or IVAO-only fliers (like me), please still try to show up; the more the merrier.

Thanks guys, hope we can make this work.

Edited by Flying_Pie, 10 February 2009 - 06:57 PM.

#2 FRAGGIT.

FRAGGIT.

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Wow Garrett sounds like fun I AM DEFINITELY IN !!

Hope this scenery works :hrmm:

need any help planning I'm always here :hrmm:

I will be flying something from Carendo not sure yet..

Edited by FRAGGIT., 10 February 2009 - 07:23 PM.

#3 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

Add me in the Carenado C182 Skylane :hrmm:

#4 Copyritepunx

Copyritepunx

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

I'll join so long as the dates are right.

Put down me for Aerosoft Beaver X. (Or is this FS9?)

#5 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

View PostCopyritepunx, on Feb 10 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

I'll join so long as the dates are right.

Put down me for Aerosoft Beaver X. (Or is this FS9?)
it'll work for FSX if you've got the FShost client (as in, can connect to the FSW server)

#6 Battle_Penguin

Battle_Penguin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

Im in, nice idea, just throwing this out there but will a twin otter be good, im not to into payware GA so ill have to find that good C152 again.

------------EDIT-------------------------

Here are some links for some nice GA's if anyone is interested.

Edited by AirTotal777, 10 February 2009 - 09:23 PM.

#7 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

twotter is definitely good

#8 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

Name: cfschris
Aircraft: FSX Default Cessna Grand Caravan

#9 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

question- may I use a helicopter instead? :hrmm:

#10 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

View Postcfschris, on Feb 10 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

question- may I use a helicopter instead? :hrmm:
no problemo, you guys can fly helis too. large cargo capacity encouraged :hrmm:

#11 Battle_Penguin

Battle_Penguin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

View PostFlying_Pie, on Feb 10 2009, 09:27 PM, said:

twotter is definitely good
Thanx flying pie, this is a excellent idea, next year ill be in too!

#12 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

View PostAirTotal777, on Feb 10 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

Im in, nice idea, just throwing this out there but will a twin otter be good, im not to into payware GA so ill have to find that good C152 again.

That Apache is class. :hrmm:

Here is an excellent freeware C150. http://www.fs-tutori...ane_C150_01.php

#13 Battle_Penguin

Battle_Penguin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

View PostBuziel-411 (RED), on Feb 11 2009, 09:57 PM, said:

View PostAirTotal777, on Feb 10 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

That Apache is class. :hrmm:

Here is an excellent freeware C150. http://www.fs-tutori...ane_C150_01.php
Thanx buziel i remember you showing me one time,. :hrmm:

#14 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

I'll be there with my beaver!

#15 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

alright here's the current list, be nice to see it grow a bit over the next week. the event starts a week from saturday, so it's getting close :hrmm:

Flying Pie - C206
FRAGGIT - C172
THBatMan8 - C182
Copyritepunx - Beaver
AirTotal - twin otter
cfschris - chopper or 208?
Andrew - beaver

#16 spambot2

spambot2

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:44 AM

I will do my best to be there in the aero commander 500

#17 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

Actually pie, I'm going to download the scenery pack and get back to you. I know the 208 is made for this kind of flying, but I still don't know if it can put down in this sort of space.

#18 spambot2

spambot2

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:13 PM

View Postcfschris, on Feb 13 2009, 08:09 PM, said:

Actually pie, I'm going to download the scenery pack and get back to you. I know the 208 is made for this kind of flying, but I still don't know if it can put down in this sort of space.

What runway lengths are we dealing with here?
I don't wanna show up in a twin and have to do the old stall-onto-threshold-with-parking brake set approaches lol.

#19 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

View Postspambot2, on Feb 13 2009, 08:13 PM, said:

I don't wanna show up in a twin and have to do the old stall-onto-threshold-with-parking brake set approaches lol.
it's not as bad as a bush strip can be, but if you've got autogen then you'll have some trees to clear. I'd say the toughest strips from what I saw were 1500-2000ft with trees on each end

#20 Battle_Penguin

Battle_Penguin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

View PostFlying_Pie, on Feb 14 2009, 11:16 AM, said:

View Postspambot2, on Feb 13 2009, 08:13 PM, said:

it's not as bad as a bush strip can be, but if you've got autogen then you'll have some trees to clear. I'd say the toughest strips from what I saw were 1500-2000ft with trees on each end
Hey im overrunning z41 for an odd reason, im using the Air Total Twin Otter with skies, at about half way down the runway i pull up but the hind wheels don't seem to get off the ground. :hrmm:

Any way to fix this.?
-----------------------------------------------------
And flying pie, ive been practicing my Cargo route, can i be the second to last pilot to leave the field, that way i miss most of the ground traffic?