- - - - -

Jet2VIRTUAL :: Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#41 majesticair

majesticair

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

It is funny to see yourself defend something as little as three words next to a picture.. Brightens up my day :hrmm:

#42 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

Then perhaps people crying and throwing hissies over my comment will make your day pure yellow?

#43 ContrailChaser

ContrailChaser

May '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Heli, http://www.britishai...obal/public/en_

Or select your country from the dropdown:

Your argument is flawed. This British Airline, similar to how Jet2 is a british based airline, uses english as the base language because in the Uk, english is their first language. :hrmm:

Edited by Trev D., 28 April 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#44 RWY 15

RWY 15

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

[quote name='Trev D.' post='2090841' date='Apr 28 2009, 02:56 PM']Heli, [url="http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globalgateway.jsp/global/public/en_"]http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globa...obal/public/en_[/url]

[quote]Or select your country from the dropdown: [/quote]

Your argument is flawed. This British Airline, similar to how Jet2 is a british based airline, uses english as the base language because in the Uk, english is their first language. :hrmm:
[/quote]

Well Trev, your argument is flawed also:

[quote name='http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globalgateway.jsp/global/public/en_']*  Besuchen Sie uns auf unserer Internetseite für Deutschland
    * Visite nuestro sitio web para España
    * Visitez notre site pour la France
    * Visiti il nostro sito per l'Italia[/quote]

Perhaps you missed that?

#45 ContrailChaser

ContrailChaser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

[quote name='Parachutes' post='2090864' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:47 PM'][quote name='Trev D.' post='2090841' date='Apr 28 2009, 02:56 PM']Heli, [url="http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globalgateway.jsp/global/public/en_"]http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globa...obal/public/en_[/url]

[/quote]

[quote name='http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globalgateway.jsp/global/public/en_']*  Besuchen Sie uns auf unserer Internetseite für Deutschland

Perhaps you missed that?
[/quote]

He is arguing that the "Select your language" words should either not be there or be in all the different languages. Here on BAs webste, the "Select your country" section, just like selecting your language, is written in english. Notice how those links are asking you to go to a website, based around where you are leaving? It is different here. Jet2va only has one website, however they are offering other language options. Before you tell me I've contridicted myself, click one of those countries, say france, in the drop down menu. What language did you get?

#46 RWY 15

RWY 15

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

[quote name='Trev D.' post='2090891' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:03 PM'][quote name='Parachutes' post='2090864' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:47 PM'][quote name='Trev D.' post='2090841' date='Apr 28 2009, 02:56 PM']Heli, [url="http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globalgateway.jsp/global/public/en_"]http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globa...obal/public/en_[/url]

[/quote]

Perhaps you missed that?
[/quote]

He is arguing that the "Select your language" words should either not be there or be in all the different languages. Here on BAs webste, the "Select your country" section, just like selecting your language, is written in english. Notice how those links are asking you to go to a website, based around where you are leaving? It is different here. Jet2va only has one website, however they are offering other language options. Before you tell me I've contridicted myself, click one of those countries, say france, in the drop down menu. What language did you get?
[/quote]

Ya, you contradicted yourself.

If you do not read English, you need something in your own language to indicate that there are other options available. Hence, the bullet listing "Visitez notre site pour la France"...

Edited by Parachutes, 28 April 2009 - 06:06 PM.

#47 ContrailChaser

ContrailChaser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

[quote name='Parachutes' post='2090893' date='Apr 28 2009, 07:35 PM'][quote name='Trev D.' post='2090891' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:03 PM'][quote name='Parachutes' post='2090864' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:47 PM'][quote name='Trev D.' post='2090841' date='Apr 28 2009, 02:56 PM']Heli, [url="http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globalgateway.jsp/global/public/en_"]http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globa...obal/public/en_[/url]

[/quote]

Perhaps you missed that?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ya, you contradicted yourself.

If you do not read English, you need something in your own language to indicate that there are other options available. Hence, the bullet listing "Visitez notre site pour la France"...
[/quote]

Just so happens when you enter his site, the automatic language is english. And if a drop down list with a country name on it, as well as flags of different countries, is not enough for you to figure out how to change the language, you shouldn't be on the internet.  :hrmm:

#48 Sam Millar

Sam Millar

Orville Reincarnate

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

Sorry incase it's not clear already. If your primary language isn't any of the three flags, you can select the drop down menu for additional languages.

#49 Chipper Jones

Chipper Jones

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

Quite a small preview eh?
Haha

#50 Mr. Kz

Mr. Kz

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

I like the header, looks very professional already, maybe you would want to consider the language issues (not taking any sides).

As far as the argument goes, is this how new members gain their posts nowadays by simply arguing and quoting back? I think that's just pathetic! Remember, if you'd like to argue and get your point, PLEASE make use of the wonderful messaging system, which has been provided to us for FREE!!. There is no need to argue on the forum. (stuff like that you leave till when you're having a fight with your wife)  :hrmm:  

I am just trying to put an end to this argument before it goes off topic.

#51 JordanFarmer

JordanFarmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

Nice banner Tom, and yeah, please stop arguing, its just childish. Just accept that your views are differentto another person, and you may do things differently. If you need to get something off your chest, PM the person, but don't just argue directly on the forums, i start to think less of people who do that :hrmm:  Thanks Guys, Jordan

#52 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

View PostExpressJet Pilot, on Apr 28 2009, 06:53 PM, said:

Haha

Isn't continental express operated by express jet?

#53 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

View PostTrev D., on Apr 28 2009, 10:56 PM, said:

Heli, http://www.britishai...obal/public/en_

Or select your country from the dropdown:

No it is not: you just wish it is. Load up britishairways.com, you'll presented with the following:

Welcome to ba.com
Flights, hotels, holidays and more

* Our UK site
    * Our US site

* Besuchen Sie uns auf unserer Internetseite für Deutschland
    * Visiti il nostro sito per l'Italia

Incase you are unaware, the four bottom links lead to translated versions of the British Airways website. Who cares if Jet2 is a British based airline, using English as the base language (which you are not with your terrible spelling), is in the UK and has English as their first language? The fact is they are opening to a wider global market and on their own website, they have a British flag with a drop down box to the right which contains a list of other languages IN THE RIGHTFUL LANGUAGE. It does not say 'Italian'; 'Spanish'; 'German' etc: it says 'Italiano'; 'Francias' and 'Deutsch' respectivly. Do you see a sentence next to it asking for the user to select their language? No you do not — because what they have is enough. I do not see why you are making such a moan about me making this very strong point.. it's beyond stupidity.

FYI, British Airways asks for the user to select their COUNTRY from the Dropdown box - not the language. If they select for example Italy, obviously the content is going to be displayed in Italian as that translation option is above.. the whole purpose on the 'Country' section for unfilled languages for departure cities etc.

View PostTrev D., on Apr 29 2009, 12:03 AM, said:

Yes, well done, I am. Well: not quite. I originally made the point that it was a stupid idea to have 'Select your language' written in ENGLISH, though for some reason nobody can see why it is so illogical to put such a sentence in... that's what has started an unrequired argument and I have throughout this thread attempted to explain the stupidity behind it (hence my example in Greek) yet you're all so intent on fighting instead of accepting sense.

View PostTrev D., on Apr 29 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

Just so happens when you enter his site, the automatic language is english. And if a drop down list with a country name on it, as well as flags of different countries, is not enough for you to figure out how to change the language, you shouldn't be on the internet.  :hrmm:

That's not at all the point I'm making - the point I'm making is that the dropdown & flags are enough, and it is simply plain weird to as a user to "Select their language" in English.

View PostSam Millar, on Apr 29 2009, 12:20 AM, said:

Sorry incase it's not clear already. If your primary language isn't any of the three flags, you can select the drop down menu for additional languages.

Yes we know that.

View PostairWest - CEO, on Apr 29 2009, 04:15 PM, said:

View PostExpressJet Pilot, on Apr 28 2009, 06:53 PM, said:

Haha

Isn't continental express operated by express jet?

You complain I'm not relevantly posting in this topic....?

#54 Boeing737NextGen

Boeing737NextGen

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

I hate to say this "Arm out of the Heli", (and I really do  :hrmm: ), but I think Sam actually got it right for once. I may not know everything (or anything for that matter) about website designing, but no matter how well you design it, it's still down the user if he/she likes it.

The font I think looks rather modern and stylish. Also, it can do subtle things, such as cheer you up, despite this economic downturn affecting all airlines.

The languages bit - I am very keen on. More people will join if they see a site that's available in their native language. Even if a Francophone user can speak English fluently, the odds are, they would prefer the option to have it in French.

Just my 2 cents.  :hrmm:

#55 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

View PostBoeing737NextGen, on Apr 29 2009, 07:38 PM, said:

I hate to say this "Arm out of the Heli", (and I really do  :hrmm: ), but I think Sam actually got it right for once. I may not know everything (or anything for that matter) about website designing, but no matter how well you design it, it's still down the user if he/she likes it.

The font I think looks rather modern and stylish. Also, it can do subtle things, such as cheer you up, despite this economic downturn affecting all airlines.

The languages bit - I am very keen on. More people will join if they see a site that's available in their native language. Even if a Francophone user can speak English fluently, the odds are, they would prefer the option to have it in French.

Just my 2 cents.  :o

Either you've not read this thread at all or have completely misunderstood it. We'll go for option 2 since I don't want to be harsh on you  :).

How can a font in a tiny banner possibly cheer you up in an economic downturn? Do you look at the letter A and suddenly feel depressed?  :hrmm: Really, that's not the point I'm getting at, what I am getting at is it is ridiculous to ask foreigners to select their language IN ENGLISH. I don't have a clue how many times I have to stress this, maybe people either don't understand or just can't be bothered justifying it. It isn't if the font looks 'Stylish and modern' (some weird phrase that has no meaning there whatsoever anyway - since ''modern'' in web design terms [which I suggest you learn] also majorly focuses on simplicity ~ something this is not doing with having the text there anyway) What my point is regards the relevance of the text there anyway - nothing to do with the modern/stylish font??

WHY... OH WHY... WOULD YOU ASK A FOREIGNER TO SELECT THEIR LANGUAGE IN ENGLISH? Do I need to pull my Greek example out? The whole point in using flags/native languages to SELECT their language is so they understand it. If you write in ENGLISH "Please select your language" then it's pretty obvious that their choice will be English.

It's such a simple thing being blown completely out of the world since you are all misreading what I am getting at.  ;)

Now really, if you are so inclined to join into a web-development related debate (or more... a common sense one)I suggest you read on web design first of all before throwing in your 2 cents....  :o

Edited by Arm Out The Heli, 29 April 2009 - 02:06 PM.

#56 Sam Millar

Sam Millar

Orville Reincarnate

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

View PostArm Out The Heli, on Apr 29 2009, 08:05 PM, said:

View PostBoeing737NextGen, on Apr 29 2009, 07:38 PM, said:

I hate to say this "Arm out of the Heli", (and I really do  ;) ), but I think Sam actually got it right for once. I may not know everything (or anything for that matter) about website designing, but no matter how well you design it, it's still down the user if he/she likes it.

Just my 2 cents.  :)

Either you've not read this thread at all or have completely misunderstood it. We'll go for option 2 since I don't want to be harsh on you  :lol:.

How can a font in a tiny banner possibly cheer you up in an economic downturn? Do you look at the letter A and suddenly feel depressed?  :o Really, that's not the point I'm getting at, what I am getting at is it is ridiculous to ask foreigners to select their language IN ENGLISH. I don't have a clue how many times I have to stress this, maybe people either don't understand or just can't be bothered justifying it. It isn't if the font looks 'Stylish and modern' (some weird phrase that has no meaning there whatsoever anyway - since ''modern'' in web design terms [which I suggest you learn] also majorly focuses on simplicity ~ something this is not doing with having the text there anyway) What my point is regards the relevance of the text there anyway - nothing to do with the modern/stylish font??

WHY... OH WHY... WOULD YOU ASK A FOREIGNER TO SELECT THEIR LANGUAGE IN ENGLISH? Do I need to pull my Greek example out? The whole point in using flags/native languages to SELECT their language is so they understand it. If you write in ENGLISH "Please select your language" then it's pretty obvious that their choice will be English.

It's such a simple thing being blown completely out of the world since you are all misreading what I am getting at.  :o

Now really, if you are so inclined to join into a web-development related debate (or more... a common sense one)I suggest you read on web design first of all before throwing in your 2 cents....  :)

Who the :hrmm: said that it would be in English anyway? When you click the drop down menu, each language is in it's own.

Mr.TFOOL - Why the god :hrmm: do you keep calling me Tom when my username is Sam Millar?

#57 RWY 15

RWY 15

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

View PostSam Millar, on Apr 29 2009, 12:21 PM, said:

Who the :hrmm: said that it would be in English anyway? When you click the drop down menu, each language is in it's own.

Sam, take a step back and a deep breath.

When you click the drop down menu, it says, in English, a listing of languages to choose from. For someone that does not read or understand English; it is irrelevant.

Using Trev's France example, you would need to change your text to accurately represent the native tongue of the audience you are trying to attract.

Go to Korea and try to hail a Taxi in English and see how many people stop for you. Change what you are saying to Korean, and you will get the response you are looking for.

It is logical, and not an attack on your work.

#58 Sam Millar

Sam Millar

Orville Reincarnate

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

View PostParachutes, on Apr 29 2009, 08:41 PM, said:

View PostSam Millar, on Apr 29 2009, 12:21 PM, said:

Sam, take a step back and a deep breath.

When you click the drop down menu, it says, in English, a listing of languages to choose from. For someone that does not read or understand English; it is irrelevant.

Using Trev's France example, you would need to change your text to accurately represent the native tongue of the audience you are trying to attract.

Go to Korea and try to hail a Taxi in English and see how many people stop for you. Change what you are saying to Korean, and you will get the response you are looking for.

It is logical, and not an attack on your work.

What did I just say in my above post? I said that each individual language will be in its own... meaning that when the drop down menu is selected it would say Deutsch instead of Dutch. I don't need to take a step back thanks.

#59 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

View PostSam Millar, on Apr 29 2009, 09:22 PM, said:

What did I just say in my above post? I said that each individual language will be in its own... meaning that when the drop down menu is selected it would say Deutsch instead of Dutch. I don't need to take a step back thanks.

Right kid (I say this as you're obviously at the stage of your youth development you find the need to defend EVERYTHING in such a ''it killed me'' way), that's not at all what I'm on about.

For the 50000000th time, I'm talking about this:

"Please select your language! »"

Now... why have you put it there? What is wrong with just having the three flags & dropdown? You are making such a simple issue into a heart-stopping pandemic.

FYI Deutsch means German... not Dutch. Dutch, in Dutch, is simply "Nederlands" so good luck with your translator???

Edited by Arm Out The Heli, 29 April 2009 - 03:28 PM.

#60 Sam Millar

Sam Millar

Orville Reincarnate

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

I really don't give a crap anyway. I've put it there because it's there. & No, I'm not a kid, and I'm not at the stage of 'it killed me' I'm 3 quarters of your age mate.