- - - - -

ACARS system needed.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

As a new virtual airline about to setup i want to provide users with an ACARS system. Not just any though... something to make us unique.
I'm not experienced with actual computer programming but think its needed through the .net language?

Im willing to pay for this job but nothing too extreme please.

Thanks,
Matthew

#2 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hello Mathew,

This is what your looking for?

http://www.satavirtual.org/fsacars/

#3 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Well yes but i wanted to customize it... I found this and would REALLY like it if it could be done for my VA.
Please note that this has been done in more places than this VA so i am not coping their idea. Just showing a brief example of how id like it to look and operate.

Posted Image

The text or numbers go on the scratchpad then click the option and it enters it pulls flight information and then at the and send the pirep. It looks and more or leff functions like a FMX addon in FlightSimulator

EDIT:
This looks similar also...

Posted Image

I would also like to ask if anyone would like to join me in creating this airline asking the coding and programming side of it. Obviously a mutual respect would be needed and credit would muchly go out to anyone who helps. I already have me coding basic html for the site and a friend managing the php scripts so thats fine its more of th acars etc.

Thanks again,
Matthew

Edited by ukmatthew, 04 June 2009 - 02:55 PM.

#4 JDelaney

JDelaney

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

ACARS systems are a whole new level of programming, don't plan on paying cheap for it :hrmm:

#5 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

Ive never seen anyone get paid for this before anyway always free. Are you offering a service by saying that anyway?

#6 Mr-Sim

Mr-Sim

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

If you have seen it free why not get it off them then?

#7 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

If you learn a programming language (C++, C, C# etc...),  it would not be that hard, after you've had some experience, just to to  put your mind to it :hrmm:

But meh, you could always pay someone to do it... :hrmm:

#8 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

I have experience in web coding. Looking into computer programming languages looks much harder. Aswell as trying it i want this to b professional and in working order. Theres nothing worse than going to a VA where everything falls apart because its a bodge job from junior. With me setting it up im far to busy to be creating it never mind learning a new programming language.

Also Luke they all belong to other VA's and feel intruding on a patch to ask them.

#9 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

TBH with you, if you don't know much programming, I'd use FSACARS, learn or hire someone. :hrmm:

#10 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Isnt hiring someone the hole part of this topic as stated in the first post?

#11 JDelaney

JDelaney

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

View Postukmatthew, on Jun 4 2009, 04:16 PM, said:

Isnt hiring someone the hole part of this topic as stated in the first post?

Thanks for pointing out the obvious but we are giving you advice, take it or don't take it. I don't even know if there are many people who are on this forum that have the time to code an ACARS system for "just another va". I recommend, that you first develop a professional PIREP system with testing etc if you know web programming, gain a reputation for yourself, and then go out looking for one. How do you even know your hard-earned money that you plan on spending on an ACARS system will lead to success? Just some suggestions, it's your choice to consider them or not.

#12 JSpring

JSpring

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

Im in the process of writing one - if you don't know any programming languages, its going to cost your a good ammount of money to get that made. You might aswell use an open free alternative.

Jayden

#13 JDelaney

JDelaney

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

View PostJSpring, on Jun 4 2009, 05:42 PM, said:

Im in the process of writing one - if you don't know any programming languages, its going to cost your a good ammount of money to get that made. You might aswell use an open free alternative.

Jayden

Going along with what Jayden said - try http://www.satavirtual.org/fsacars/ its free and if your good with web programming it should be to tough to integrate into a system :hrmm:

#14 FlightSimmer0724

FlightSimmer0724

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

I would help you code one but depends how much money you got.. and what you are offering to pay. I can create you a nice simple ACARS or a bit complex acars... :hrmm: add my msn or skype and we can talk more.

msn: fdxvaceo@hotmail.com

#15 JSpring

JSpring

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

Not to try and spark an argument - but I personally think for your needs use something like FSACARS & phpVMS. They will work perfectly for you and the best part is they are 100% free (unless you want to donate :hrmm:). Spending money on having something written when there are no large ammount of pilots who are active in my view is pointless.

Jayden

#16 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:40 AM

phpVMS is the system that were looking at. Were in the process of stripping the code and fully customizing it. For some reason their structure is all over the place with code scattered everywhere. The FSACARS wasn't exactly what i was looking for when looking at the images that i provided.

Added flightsimmer msn.

#17 JSpring

JSpring

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

The code is not 'scattered', it is written on Nabeel's 'CODON' MVC framework. If you visit; http://nsslive.net/codon/ it tells you how it bascially works.

Jayden

#18 nightfox

nightfox

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

Yea phpvms code is not all over the place, it is a CMS that is designed specifically for VA's. It is easy to skin and make your own, has everything you need, you do not have to strip it to make it your own.
Cheers
Dan C

#19 dazwalsh

dazwalsh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

yeah phpvms has acars built in, it does a very good job, its just a matter of skinning it and adding more content, you can totaly transform phpvms using your own css page too, its exactly what ive done with my upcoming site.

once you get your head around how the layout is then it gets easier

Lib > skins > "skin" > for your header, footer, style sheet and images, this is where most of your skinning will take place
Core > Templates > for all the pages themselves, they are in tpl files but they will accept your editing without too much fuss

Good luck.

Edited by dazwalsh, 07 June 2009 - 06:49 AM.

#20 Mr-Sim

Mr-Sim

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:45 AM

phpvms does not have it built in, all it does is generate the file you use with FS ACARS or FS PASSENGERS