#61 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

View PostAlex_S, on Oct 8 2009, 03:18 PM, said:

Little Big Planet uses fully real physics for its PS3 game :hrmm: wonder if the same could be transferred into an FS

It can be done, as the software is out there to make it happen. The problem is the more you implement into a platform, the higher the cost as it requires more R&D.

#62 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

View Postbigflyersmallbyer, on Oct 8 2009, 02:11 PM, said:

View Postfranthree, on Oct 8 2009, 07:40 PM, said:

I beg to ask the question--Why do we want/ need a new flight simulator???? I am one "happy camper" with FSX! ;) It has it's faults of course but I finally have pc that will run it nice! And will all my Aerosoft--aircraft/scenery--be future compatible? Thses are important questions. And will new sim require yet more hardware upgrades on our part?? :hrmm:

I hope FSX goes on a few more years!! :hrmm:

We'll be needed a replacement for FSX around ~2012 I would have thought.
Even after a new and better sim has been released, a lot of people will stick to FSX because they have all their addons for it and everything set up like they want and are familiar with it. Just like a lot of people now still use FS2004. So how long FSX will go on is more up to the user than the community. Although getting too far behind does put pressure to upgrade when you see everyone use something that is so much better and more advanced. But I think it's still going to be a good bunch of years before FSX goes completely stale. You will have enough time to grow bored of FSX probably :P

#63 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

release 2011 please we'll be dead 2012

#64 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

Im thinking AFS2012 will be released in the Summer of 2011, Peter.^

As for those who say they don't need a new flight simulator, well, thats quite judgmental. You can always stick to your favorite flight sim, but in the end I think we need to move on and upgrade ourselves just like every other video gaming market.

FSX (not to mention FS9) will be so old by then...

#65 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:46 AM

It really depends on what you want from your system... personally, as long as it looks semi decent and I think even stock FSX looks fantastic enough for me to be happy with it not to mention ORBX, it feels good enough, and it's got most of the functionality that I would want from a sim (The only thing that I'm not happy with is the ATC but with Radar Contact... all that may change, but I'm yet to try it), other than that... if you go to pilot training centres, they have simulators that are older than me! Sure new and better things come about all the time but you cant keep forking out 5 grand every 2-3 years when a new and better sim comes out. Up until FSX, I've pretty much been experimenting with the genre more than anything. Now I feel like I can "settle down" with it and I won't be too fussed with what Aerosoft come about releasing in a few years time as the better graphics in my mind won't be worth it if I have absolutely everything else from the sim that I'm going to be using when/if it comes out and that will be FSX.

#66 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:56 AM

I went in a new Airbus simulator and systemwise it was topnotch but the graphics outside the window weren't that great. It looked like FS2000.

#67 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:14 AM

View Postniteye, on Oct 12 2009, 10:56 AM, said:

I went in a new Airbus simulator and systemwise it was topnotch but the graphics outside the window weren't that great. It looked like FS2000.

That's because they have their priorities sorted out.

#68 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

View PostAtomic_Sheep, on Oct 12 2009, 04:46 AM, said:

It really depends on what you want from your system... personally, as long as it looks semi decent and I think even stock FSX looks fantastic enough for me to be happy with it not to mention ORBX, it feels good enough, and it's got most of the functionality that I would want from a sim (The only thing that I'm not happy with is the ATC but with Radar Contact... all that may change, but I'm yet to try it), other than that... if you go to pilot training centres, they have simulators that are older than me! Sure new and better things come about all the time but you cant keep forking out 5 grand every 2-3 years when a new and better sim comes out. Up until FSX, I've pretty much been experimenting with the genre more than anything. Now I feel like I can "settle down" with it and I won't be too fussed with what Aerosoft come about releasing in a few years time as the better graphics in my mind won't be worth it if I have absolutely everything else from the sim that I'm going to be using when/if it comes out and that will be FSX.
I suppose you have a point about settling down and beginning to focus on one simulator as a long-term goal.

Unfortunately, I wish I could say the same about myself. Im thinking of slowing down only once Aerosoft release their 2012 Flight Simulator. The reason being that I wasnt satisfied at all with what FSX had to offer.

In my opinion, FSX is very unpolished or incomplete compared to previous sims in the series, e.g. FS9. Couple that with the fact ACES were shut down, meaning no more bug fixes will be made from Microsoft's behalf, translates to me that Microsoft have pretty much double-crossed their consumers by releasing a bugged version without a promise of fixing it. That pisses me off the most about Microsoft, which is why I think I'll never settle down with FSX. I don't wish to offend anyone but it feels like Im playing a piece of junk. Sometimes bugs appear almost out of nowhere and its a hopeless case trying to resolve it when the very developers of the product are now jobless or working somewhere else. I feel like we were left out in the rain.

Thats why I wish Aerosoft get their act together and release a simulator as soon as possible. Those who admire FSX can stick to it, and others who werent satisfied with FSX can enjoy something different.

#69 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:03 AM

I'm somewhat skeptical about this simulator/game, but curious nonetheless! Time for something new and different since I still cannot see a reason why I should not fire up FS9 (with tons of addons, great performance) instead of FSX.

#70 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:33 AM

View Postniteye, on Oct 12 2009, 08:56 PM, said:

I tried a Saab 340 sim... that was more like FS98 lol... but it was still a :hrmm: of a lot better than FSX in a lot of respects. Nothing beats a fully functioning cockpit and full motion! Eye candy is nice but I would get a full motion over real world graphics with no sensation any day of the week.

View PostMohammad, on Oct 12 2009, 09:21 PM, said:

I suppose you have a point about settling down and beginning to focus on one simulator as a long-term goal.

Unfortunately, I wish I could say the same about myself. Im thinking of slowing down only once Aerosoft release their 2012 Flight Simulator. The reason being that I wasnt satisfied at all with what FSX had to offer.

In my opinion, FSX is very unpolished or incomplete compared to previous sims in the series, e.g. FS9. Couple that with the fact ACES were shut down, meaning no more bug fixes will be made from Microsoft's behalf, translates to me that Microsoft have pretty much double-crossed their consumers by releasing a bugged version without a promise of fixing it. That pisses me off the most about Microsoft, which is why I think I'll never settle down with FSX. I don't wish to offend anyone but it feels like Im playing a piece of junk. Sometimes bugs appear almost out of nowhere and its a hopeless case trying to resolve it when the very developers of the product are now jobless or working somewhere else. I feel like we were left out in the rain.

Thats why I wish Aerosoft get their act together and release a simulator as soon as possible. Those who admire FSX can stick to it, and others who werent satisfied with FSX can enjoy something different.

I fully understand your point and sure there are frustrations with the simulator in those respects but at the same time it keep things interesting by ensuring you've always got something to figure out how to get around! But apart from that, you have to realise that it's going to be a long time before Aerosoft produces a product that is polished enough to be equivalent to even the present potential of FSX. The first versions will I'm sure be very buggy, sure there's going to be support for it but you won't find a product that you will be totally happy with at the very earliest with SP2 and maybe even AFS2015 or something! But... each to their own :hrmm:.

View PostByron, on Oct 12 2009, 10:03 PM, said:

I'm somewhat skeptical about this simulator/game, but curious nonetheless! Time for something new and different since I still cannot see a reason why I should not fire up FS9 (with tons of addons, great performance) instead of FSX.

That's exactly the point that I'm trying to make, the only difference being that I've never tried FS2004 so personally my last point of comparison being FS2002, I can't see an alternative to FSX. In either scenario... FS2004 is that nicely set up system that you're married to. :P I'm glad other people share the same views.

Edited by Atomic_Sheep, 12 October 2009 - 07:43 AM.

#71 CombatAce

CombatAce

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

As for the whole game/sim issue, would it not be possible to just code a setting of realism. In one setting, it could be arcadish as that in MSFS, and in the other it can be realistic, as in X-Plane. And the whole process would just read certain code off the flight dynamics file of the plane. My knowledge on programming is relatively little, but this seems to be very probable.

And as far as Aerosoft making a sim, that is great. Finally another company enters the business.

#72 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

Flight dynamics are modelled from formulas. By changing the sliders... as far as I know, you are changing the variables in the formuals not the formulas themselves which needs to be done to radically change the flight dynamics. The only way that I can think of this being possible is if you break down the formula into bits somehow where various variables are seperated... and I'm not sure whether this will be computationally efficient enough/even possible.

Edited by Atomic_Sheep, 12 October 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#73 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Some previews would be good if they have done anything so far

#74 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members