73 replies to this topic

#1 SergeBMW

SergeBMW

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

Well I have my plans set to become a commerical pilot. Problem is that I finish at Embry with only around 200 or less of flight hours which isnt enough for airlines.

How do I go about gaining hours? Im not sure about doing the traditional becomeing and instructor way as it is 15,000 extra on top of the 50,000 im going to spend on my training and all needed classes.

Or do you think becoming an instructor is the way to go?

About how long would it take for someone to be able to apply for a jop at an Airline? I havent checked Aerolineas Argentinas or Lufthansa, but I did Emirates. They require 4000 totol flight hours which is alot O.O

#2 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

Most airliners will want in the neighboorhood of 3K-4K before they even look at a pilot (plus most of them want either a college degree or military service) on larger aircraft, unless you can find a flight engineer's seat. CFI seems to be the easiest option, but anything pertaining GA will suffice.

Edited by THBatMan8, 13 October 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#3 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

View PostSergeBMW, on Oct 13 2009, 08:21 PM, said:

Well I have my plans set to become a commerical pilot. Problem is that I finish at Embry with only around 200 or less of flight hours which isnt enough for airlines.

Thus beginning the countless years of poverty you will likely live-in, as do all pilots (except those with rich parents).

The way I see it, it is simply a mechanism to determine who is really dedicated and passionate about flying. Those who enjoy a standard of living above the poverty line undoubtedly head elsewhere.

Edited by Duke, 13 October 2009 - 07:42 PM.

#4 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

Become an instructor, work on your other licenses, become instructor for other licenses so you'll move up in aircraft. Go into Air Force/Navy.

#5 SergeBMW

SergeBMW

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

Yea I know I won't have the richer lifestyle but I think I can do it. Im not a person that needs everything. I could probably last. My passion is flying and ill do anything to get up to flying for an Airline on an Airbus or Boeing :hrmm:

How would I go about getting hours on larger aircrafts though as you said Thebatman8

I will be getting my college degree aswell.

With the program im going to attend, I will finish with CPL  mulit engined certified.

Air Force is no choice for me.

Edited by SergeBMW, 13 October 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#6 SergeBMW

SergeBMW

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

Well if I were to take the USAF route, would I be able to stay in cargo transport and all or would I have to be involved with fighter jets? I love that but its really hard on my mom, I tried once.

If I am able to be just in transport, or similar, I can rake up hours, get payed and get college paid.

Ive heard taht all you need is 3 years in the USAF and you can apply for an airline and leave, is this correct?

#7 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

Hours are hours. You can do air lift if you wanted, or were allowed.

#8 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Go to the airport and get friends. Wash aircraft in exchange for flying time, and offer to be the backup pilot for someone who's going under the hood.

And yes, get your CFI.

#9 SmartJunco

SmartJunco

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Keep in mind if you join the US Air Force to become a pilot you're locked into a seven to eight year contract. The USAF spends nearly $1 million USD per pilot they train (even if you already have a license), so they want to make sure their investment stays with them for a while.

#10 SergeBMW

SergeBMW

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

Does the year of stay vary at all? 7-8 years is alot, more than expected.

I tried going on there site but theres absolutely no info at all. Gotta call.

I really just want in an airline as fast as its possible. I don't want to spend years racking up hours when I can do it earlier.

Sorry to bug you guys with all the questions here but ive got to make a decision

#11 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

View PostSergeBMW, on Oct 14 2009, 12:11 AM, said:

Does the year of stay vary at all? 7-8 years is alot, more than expected.

I tried going on there site but theres absolutely no info at all. Gotta call.

I really just want in an airline as fast as its possible. I don't want to spend years racking up hours when I can do it earlier.

Sorry to bug you guys with all the questions here but ive got to make a decision

No it doesn't to my knowledge. If you make the cut and don't complete the training, the USAF can put you anywhere they want until you ETS out. If you don't make the cut the USAF can put you anywhere they want until you ETS (Estimated Time of Service) out. You're stuck with the USAF for the duration you enlisted for. The selection is tough also. Having a degree and civilian certs from ERAU will help you though (also join ROTC).

Other than being lucky and finding a seat as a flight engineer, you aren't going to fly for a major airliner until you have the hours. In case you were wondering, ROTC = Reserve Officers Training Corps. The program will help immensely on the selection process.

Edited by THBatMan8, 13 October 2009 - 11:31 PM.

#12 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

*EDIT*

disregard

Edited by THBatMan8, 13 October 2009 - 11:31 PM.

#13 SergeBMW

SergeBMW

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

hmm im getting mixed info from a few poeple from this and another place. I was just told it was 4 years in the USAF.

I found a cadet program with Cathay Pacific. Sounds very promising but id have to go live in Australia and then head to Hong Kong where I would then get my job as a second officer and continue up through the ranks with CX. Guaranteed job. Sadly the Cadet program for Emirates is only for national students :hrmm:

#14 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

View PostSergeBMW, on Oct 14 2009, 12:49 AM, said:

hmm im getting mixed info from a few poeple from this and another place. I was just told it was 4 years in the USAF.

I found a cadet program with Cathay Pacific. Sounds very promising but id have to go live in Australia and then head to Hong Kong where I would then get my job as a second officer and continue up through the ranks with CX. Guaranteed job. Sadly the Cadet program for Emirates is only for national students :hrmm:

The ETS will vary based on the MOS you chose. 4 years is pretty much standard but the duration will be longer if the MOS requires more training.

Edited by THBatMan8, 13 October 2009 - 11:53 PM.

#15 TheBearJew

TheBearJew

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:43 AM

You getting hired in the current and forecast economy into a major air carrier in the next 10 years is small.

Note: Jetblue, Spirit, AitTran etc are not major airlines. Jobs at second tier carriers will be easier but still difficult.

For a major you are going to need approx 3000 HRS PIC turbojet to be competetive these days.

For someone like Jetblue you will need approx 1500 PIC turbojet to get hired.

The entire hiring process has come to a screeching halt. There is no flow currently. I'm weaiting for a job at Atlas now for 8 mo. I have the job, but they are not bringing any new pilots on line.

You have a huge hurdle to overcome and that is your multi engine time. Your going to have to flight instruct, then when you meet 135 minimums get in with a 135 carrier or teach multi engine students. Next step would be a regional for approx 6 - 8 years before being at the minimum time to get an app into a a Jetblue or Spirit another 4 years theur to make captain get thefinal PIC turbojet time and then if your lucky yo uwill get picked up by a majotr liek FedEx or Delta etc.

You could also go and get your flight engineer turbojet license get 25 hours in the actual 727 for IOE then it's off to find an FE job if you can find one. They are getting harder and harder to find. With 310 TT I got my FE license and as hired to fly a DC8. I got about 90 hours as an FE and was upgraded to FO with 390 TT and a very successful career for a 26 year old. I'm 39 now and going to the 747-400 at Atlas as an FO. I will stay there for the rest of my career. I have no itnerest to fly for a major. and wouldn't if you offered me double the pay.

Good Luck!

Edited by DC8SUPER72, 14 October 2009 - 05:45 AM.

#16 Evan.

Evan.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

View PostSergeBMW, on Oct 13 2009, 10:11 PM, said:

It doesn't really work like that, and that kind of attitude won't gain you much respect from either employers or colleagues. It will take years of building hours, be it through instructing, towing banners, flying sightseeing trips, flying night cargo in twin pistons (if any of those companies are even hiring), etc.

If the economy does pick up in a few years, chances are regional carriers will start hiring again with pretty low minimums (500-1000 total time). A few years ago, GoJet was hiring f/o's with 250 total time. No doubt these type of pilots are looked down upon in the industry until they gain more experience, though.

Of course, if H.R. 3371 passes in congress all f/o's for air carriers will need an ATP (requiring a bare minimum of 1200 hours and 23 of age), making the process even longer and more difficult.

Slightly relevant and also amusing:
http://shinyjetsyndrome.com/

Edited by Evan., 14 October 2009 - 08:22 AM.

#17 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:13 AM

Join the civil air patrol, jump plane piloting (usually low pay or no pay), crop dusting, banner towing, or possibly flight instructing in other countries (which I've done)

Keep in mind, airlines (including regionals) won't start hiring for many years...   there are thousands of pilots furloughed that have far more experience than you, and they'll usually get recalled first or picked up by other companies long before you will.  It's not to put you down, but this economy just doesn't favor pilots at the moment.  If you get a job actually flying, do your best to keep it.

#18 KOWDFlyer

KOWDFlyer

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

You can do banner towing, pipeline patrol, traffic watch, and transport skydivers.

Whatever you do, don't PFT (Pay for training/time) or PFJ (Pay for job).  It is highly frowned upon in the aviation profession and you will not gain any respect from your peers by PFT/PFJ.

Edited by OctoberBaseball, 14 October 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#19 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

One good deal is to go to a school with hook ups. I know a guy who's at Riddle and he's in a program setup by JBU; CFI for 3-4 years (including 1-2 years after graduation), instantly get put into the left set at cape air (?) flying turboprops, then after a couple years end up in an ERJ for JBU. If they see you as a good investment then something along those lines is a good choice.

#20 TheBearJew

TheBearJew

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

View PostFlying_Pie, on Oct 14 2009, 06:44 PM, said:

One good deal is to go to a school with hook ups. I know a guy who's at Riddle and he's in a program setup by JBU; CFI for 3-4 years (including 1-2 years after graduation), instantly get put into the left set at cape air (?) flying turboprops, then after a couple years end up in an ERJ for JBU. If they see you as a good investment then something along those lines is a good choice.

To put it kindly and not to be a party pooper. Any promise or hint of a connection any school makes run the other way. Becasue there is no way they can make good on that promise in this slumping economy. Eben when the economy was good so few people made the transition it should have been criminal to ininuate such a things might happen.

Get an FE turbojet license get 25 hours in a 727 for IOE and look for a job as a 727 FE. If nothing happens at least you have large aircraft systems understanding and an FAA license in your hand. Plus you would be a bad :hrmm: telling all your friends your current and qualified on the 727 as a flight engineer. That should get you laid at least a few times at worst.

Does anyone read my posts? Hello... can anyone see this?

I don't know why I bother posting sometimes!  :hrmm: