THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:37 AM

View PostSergeBMW, on Oct 17 2009, 03:11 AM, said:

Well, I guess they are all liars. Thanks for the sarcasm 206Turbo

He's not calling him a liar. You'll have to speak with the family friend personally to get the whole story.

#62 TheBearJew

TheBearJew

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:52 AM

I don't think your a liar at all. Somewhere the story went awry. BADLY!

#63 SergeBMW

SergeBMW

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:45 AM

Well the truth is idk 100% but its possible. Maybe he had an opportunity that many don't get. Idk.

Lets just not keep on going on this same topic about the son and FedEx

#64 206Turbo

206Turbo

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

My previous comment was meant to be good humor sarcasm, not abrasive in anyway...just clarifying.  I didn't use any smilies which may hint at bad intentions :hrmm:

#65 Gym_Class_Hero

Gym_Class_Hero

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

View Post206Turbo, on Oct 17 2009, 08:40 AM, said:

My previous comment was meant to be good humor sarcasm, not abrasive in anyway...just clarifying.  I didn't use any smilies which may hint at bad intentions :hrmm:
Lost in translation? :hrmm:

#66 audiohavoc

audiohavoc

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

View PostDC8SUPER72, on Oct 16 2009, 11:28 PM, said:

Every pilot hired on at FedEx goes to the FE position in the 727. That's the most junior slot. No way would your friend skipped the 727 and get into the DC10 as FO ahead of a few thousand pilots ahead of him in seniority.

The story is just wrong in every detail.

Truth.  One of my father-in-laws Air Force friends was an F-16 driver in the 80's/90's, and now is an MD-11 driver for FedEx.  

Audiohavoc.

#67 TheBearJew

TheBearJew

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

View Postaudiohavoc, on Oct 18 2009, 08:51 PM, said:

View PostDC8SUPER72, on Oct 16 2009, 11:28 PM, said:

Every pilot hired on at FedEx goes to the FE position in the 727. That's the most junior slot. No way would your friend skipped the 727 and get into the DC10 as FO ahead of a few thousand pilots ahead of him in seniority.

The story is just wrong in every detail.

Truth.  One of my father-in-laws Air Force friends was an F-16 driver in the 80's/90's, and now is an MD-11 driver for FedEx.  

Audiohavoc.

I don't get your point. It's 2009 now. It's getting pretty close to 2010.

#68 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

View PostDC8SUPER72, on Oct 18 2009, 10:01 PM, said:

I don't get your point. It's 2009 now. It's getting pretty close to 2010.

And in a few more years it'll be 2012.

EVERYONE PANIC! :hrmm:

#69 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

I think this thread has gone south about who knows what pilots and who is closest friends with the most b a d a s s pilot etc. etc. Lets get to the heart of the matter. So you want to become a commercial airline pilot. Acquiring hours.... Find any job you can get flying with the qualifications you have and work your butt off there until you have more qualifications to apply elsewhere. Keep your job keep flying, and apply at other places. Keep working your way up. I will not specifically specify any jobs it is for you to find those jobs.

I have a friend who has been working dispatch at my college. He just quit cause he'd been cleaning a Cessna Citation for this pilot out at another FBO on the field that we train at. Well this friend of mine is a junior here and has most of his ratings but still working hard to get the rest (MEI is what he is currently working on) so he got hired to fly right seat in this Cessna Citation while at school. You guys can call me BS or whatever you like, but it doesn't change the fact that it's true. And you must note that the Cessna Citation is one of few if not the only TT that is legally allowed to operate by a single pilot. Therefor my friend is able to fly right seat on this puppy. It's all luck fate and who you know. Networking can go a longgg way in the aviation industry.

I will admit I am a hypocrite in telling another b a d a s s pilot I know, but he's only two years older than me mind you and still a full time college student....

But man you can read all these stories you want but none of them will be how you end up in your flying career. You have to pave your own path and you can't be asking others how to do it. You can ask for advice, but don't ask someone what mathematical steps does it take to come from zero to 747 captain.... It just doesn't work like that.

Now let me tell you from my experience (I don't even have my PPL yet!!) You're looking at the big picture. Things can get overwhelming all to fast if you look at the big picture. I will admit I find myself there at least once in a given week, but I fight against it. You have to take it one step at a time. Right now I am in ground school and I have been learning every minute detail about VFR flying and what all knowledge is entailed in the PPL. So currently my step is to pass the FAA written at the end of this course. Then I will go onto Primary Flight training (that's what the class is called) where I will be flying every other day at college. Working towards my PPL. I set little goals for myself in order to get to the big goal. You cannot set up all your goals in a row. You must have one ultimate goal, and then a small realistic goal within the expectations of yourself and whatever flight training program you are in. Know what the general idea of what path you plan to take is. But take it one step at a time I can't stress it enough. And don't overlook the small stuff flying little Cessna you will learn a lot and remember it all the way up to flying the big metal. But enjoy yourself and don't piss and moan because you're getting to fly like you have always wanted to!

I have wanted to become a commercial airline pilot since I was 8 years old. Ever since 4th grade I have been beating my head with a stick (not literally) waiting to go to college for flight school. Finally I am here!!! I love it!! There is no place I'd rather be right now!! I love it. But I gotta tell you. It's a lot of hard work. I know a lot of people in my ground school course who aren't gonna be there next year. They think it's all fun and games and you get to fly planes and they're failing tests hard..... For me I know it will be a challenge all 4 years of college. I know there are 3 things that could happen during my time here. One it takes me a little longer than I wanted to get a particular rating and it ends up costing me time and money. I might end up failing a course and have to take it again and pay more (Most likely an A&P course but I am guarding against that hard by working hard). or I might take a little longer to finish the college courses required and graduate after 4 and a half years or 5 years. My goal is to get out in 4 years, but I am being realistic with myself. It is a challenge and you must be willing to face it and take it one step at a time one day at a time.

Sorry for the worst unorganized rant but I think some of the young people on here are rather immature about the matter....

So what if you have friends who got lucky flying big a s s cargo jets or whatever else happened to any other friend. Just because it happened to them and you know them does not even give you a sliver of an idea of how you will become a pilot so don't pull out these random stories and expect it to be you. Just use these stories to learn possibilities of ways to become a pilot of which you never thought could be possible before and just work hard and try everything you can to get to where you want to go. It all goes back to luck fate and networking.

Good luck

best wishes to all in here wherever you are in life.

My apologies for such an unorganized rant :hrmm:

Justin

#70 TheBearJew

TheBearJew

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

Should we also discuss all the potential failures that can occur on your path to major airline stardom.

How about losing your medical or your vision becomes to poor to pass a major airlines physical or they find out heart disease runs in your familly.

How about a DUI or a bunch of speeding tickets.

How about failing out of the training program. Or failing the interview for the job.

How about FAA violations against your certificate you may gather along your career path.

Etc. Etc. Etc. All disqualifying factors from the majors.

#71 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

View PostAmericanAirFan, on Oct 19 2009, 08:57 AM, said:

I have a friend who has been working dispatch at my college. He just quit cause he'd been cleaning a Cessna Citation for this pilot out at another FBO on the field that we train at. Well this friend of mine is a junior here and has most of his ratings but still working hard to get the rest (MEI is what he is currently working on) so he got hired to fly right seat in this Cessna Citation while at school. You guys can call me BS or whatever you like, but it doesn't change the fact that it's true. And you must note that the Cessna Citation is one of few if not the only TT that is legally allowed to operate by a single pilot. Therefor my friend is able to fly right seat on this puppy. It's all luck fate and who you know. Networking can go a longgg way in the aviation industry.

Must be either a Citation I/SP or a Citation II..  I don't know if the III's are single pilot or if the 4 or 5 is, but yes the CE501 are single pilot certified..  however if my memory serves correctly, the new CE525's (CJ1 and CJ2) are not.  And also the Cessna Mustang is TT and single pilot certified, as well as the Eclipse 500.  Your friend doesn't need a type rating to fly (and actually manipulate the controls) and he can even log it as second in command time, however he can't log PIC time without the type rating.  

And yes, a lot of aviation is political.

#72 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

View PostDC8SUPER72, on Oct 19 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

Should we also discuss all the potential failures that can occur on your path to major airline stardom.

How about losing your medical or your vision becomes to poor to pass a major airlines physical or they find out heart disease runs in your familly.

How about failing out of the training program. Or failing the interview for the job.

How about FAA violations against your certificate you may gather along your career path.

Yup, and to those people that think "Oh that'll never happen to me" oh yes it can.  No one can predict the future, not even you.  You can prevent things like DUI and speeding tickets, but you can't control your health (you can help keep it healthy but you can't prevent diseases and failures) and you also can't control every day events..   that's why I always say if you're going to be a pilot, find something else as well so you have something to fall back on.

#73 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

View PostNWilkinson, on Oct 19 2009, 07:09 PM, said:

View PostAmericanAirFan, on Oct 19 2009, 08:57 AM, said:

Must be either a Citation I/SP or a Citation II..  I don't know if the III's are single pilot or if the 4 or 5 is, but yes the CE501 are single pilot certified..  however if my memory serves correctly, the new CE525's (CJ1 and CJ2) are not.  And also the Cessna Mustang is TT and single pilot certified, as well as the Eclipse 500.  Your friend doesn't need a type rating to fly (and actually manipulate the controls) and he can even log it as second in command time, however he can't log PIC time without the type rating.  

And yes, a lot of aviation is political.

:hrmm: that's exactly what he's doing :hrmm:

View PostNWilkinson, on Oct 19 2009, 07:19 PM, said:

View PostDC8SUPER72, on Oct 19 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

Yup, and to those people that think "Oh that'll never happen to me" oh yes it can.  No one can predict the future, not even you.  You can prevent things like DUI and speeding tickets, but you can't control your health (you can help keep it healthy but you can't prevent diseases and failures) and you also can't control every day events..   that's why I always say if you're going to be a pilot, find something else as well so you have something to fall back on.

Yep that's why you shouldn't sleep through the "easy" stuff everything applies whether you're a Cessna 172 pilot or a 747 pilot. knowing your FAR/AIM by memory will help a lot with legalities when you're working hard to conduct a safe and legal flight.

Edited by AmericanAirFan, 19 October 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#74 Element94

Element94

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

View PostDC8SUPER72, on Oct 19 2009, 06:50 PM, said:

1. If you qualify for a first class medical certificate, there are certain legal obligations that an airline or private operator must abide by under certain federal labor laws.

2. In your control.

3. Also, to a large degree, within your control.

4. See above.