#101 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 31 2009, 05:10 PM, said:

The FAA could only make the runways more obvious if they lit them on fire and pointed to them with mile-long pink neon signs.
You mean those don't exist?  :hrmm:

#102 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 31 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

View PostTHBatMan8, on Dec 31 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 31 2009, 07:33 PM, said:

If that's the case, the bizzare dimness compared to the bright lights next to it and oddly solid yellow centerline the landing light was showing them also should have told them something.

The 767's landing lights also overpower the runway lights, to a degree. Even as Duke noted, by the time the crew would have noticed they were on the taxiway it would have been too late to take any action as they would already be grounded.

Said landing lights would not over power them 2-3 miles out.

Hence the keywords "to a degree". 2-3 miles out and you're at the Middle Marker anyway. They could have been visually aligned at that point, considering you can't fly below the MDA without visual conformation of the runway. But they might have gotten out of alignment as they initiated the flare.

#103 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

View PostCortez, on Dec 31 2009, 09:14 PM, said:

The FAA could only make the runways more obvious if they lit them on fire and pointed to them with mile-long pink neon signs.

Yet, but, if commercial pilots keep this up, they may have to go as far as detonating mini-nuclear bombs along the edges of the runway to show pilots where it is in case the other things that the commercial pilots depend on (which oddly other pilots don't) fail. I mean seriously, why do you never hear about GA pilots doing this? Their airports seldom have lead-in lights or the advanced things major airports have, yet they don't have a habit of missing the runway..if those things were really a huge factor, then you'd hear about this so much at GA and military air fields the FAA would have to rethink it's entire night lighting system.

#104 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 31 2009, 08:21 PM, said:

View PostCortez, on Dec 31 2009, 09:14 PM, said:

Yet, but, if commercial pilots keep this up, they may have to go as far as detonating mini-nuclear bombs along the edges of the runway to show pilots where it is in case the other things that the commercial pilots depend on (which oddly other pilots don't) fail. I mean seriously, why do you never hear about GA pilots doing this? Their airports seldom have lead-in lights or the advanced things major airports have, yet they don't have a habit of missing the runway..if those things were really a huge factor, then you'd hear about this so much at GA and military air fields the FAA would have to rethink it's entire night lighting system.

This is the first incident I've heard about this in a while, I don't know where you're getting the idea that it's a regular occurrence. Yes, I'd imagine it happens with GA aircraft as well but it never makes the news as the head count on the aircraft isn't high enough to satisfy media ratings.

#105 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

This is like, the umpteenth time there's been a story about an airliner landing on the taxiway posted on this form since I've joined, and many of those posts have hinted it's a rather frequent occurance.

#106 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 31 2009, 08:29 PM, said:

This is like, the umpteenth time there's been a story about an airliner landing on the taxiway posted on this form since I've joined, and many of those posts have hinted it's a rather frequent occurance.

OK, so hypothetically speaking let's say that there are a grand total of 12 threads noting a incident similar to this thread throughout the history of FSW. That's 12 incidents out of how many commercial and private flights that have been flown in that time span? That's no where near a regular occurrence.

#107 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 31 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

I don't know why people feel obligated to defend these people like they need it and I don't know what I'm talking about.

I don't know why people feel obligated to rant about how terrible commercial pilots are just because they don't like jetliners.

#108 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 31 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

Considering that there are over 10,000 flights in the USA daily and there hasn't been one since this incident..  no, it isn't a rather frequent occurrence.  This happened a few months ago, well over 1 million flights ago..  so 1:1,000,000+ isn't rather frequent.  You have greater odds getting struck by lightning (Google it, 1:750,000)

#109 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

I don't know why people feel obligated to rant about how terrible commercial pilots are just because they don't like jetliners.

Discussion aside, it is kind of fun watching people like you squirm and have hissy fits whenever someone speaks a word of criticsim against them.