Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 5 2009, 03:26 PM, said:

View PostDa_KGB, on Dec 5 2009, 03:16 PM, said:

Maybe it's because those are cheaper than getting an FA/18 to chase it. (FA/18s aren't exactly small fuel efficient jets)

More so than the old, gas-guzzling 1950's era T-33.

I do find myself wondering, though, after the F-22 debate, is why is Boeing even wasting time and money building this plane, and the 747-8? What's wrong with the current 757s, 747s, and 767s, and just upgrading them? Seriously, this whole project is just an effort by Boeing to get media attention after getting jealous of the press Airbus got with the A380. They made it clear in needing to 'make sure the press is notified 48 hours in advance.'
I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, why upgrade into anything new for that matter? I'm a great supporter of horse riding and living in tents. :hrmm:

#62 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

View Postmohammad, on Dec 6 2009, 04:11 PM, said:

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, why upgrade into anything new for that matter? I'm a great supporter of horse riding and living in tents. :hrmm:

Amen, brother! Keep it simple and sweet!

#63 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 6 2009, 03:14 PM, said:

View Postmohammad, on Dec 6 2009, 04:11 PM, said:

Amen, brother! Keep it simple and sweet!
-p8wDhK5LyY

#64 SmartJunco

SmartJunco

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

View PostMul., on Dec 5 2009, 11:38 AM, said:

If first flight were indeed on the 14th, shouldn't 787 #1 be scuttling around Paine Field right now recommencing taxi tests? Has anyone in the area observed any activity?
As Iranair787 said, it did extensive taxi tests in April. It looks like it'll take to the runway again tomorrow for taxi tests in preparation for first flight though.

#65 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

View PostSmartJunco, on Dec 6 2009, 09:28 PM, said:

View PostMul., on Dec 5 2009, 11:38 AM, said:

If first flight were indeed on the 14th, shouldn't 787 #1 be scuttling around Paine Field right now recommencing taxi tests? Has anyone in the area observed any activity?
As Iranair787 said, it did extensive taxi tests in April. It looks like it'll take to the runway again tomorrow for taxi tests in preparation for first flight though.
*jumps up and down* video! :hrmm:

#66 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

Maybe it's because those are cheaper than getting an FA/18 to chase it. (FA/18s aren't exactly small fuel efficient jets)

I do find myself wondering, though, after the F-22 debate, is why is Boeing even wasting time and money building this plane, and the 747-8? What's wrong with the current 757s, 747s, and 767s, and just upgrading them? Seriously, this whole project is just an effort by Boeing to get media attention after getting jealous of the press Airbus got with the A380. They made it clear in needing to 'make sure the press is notified 48 hours in advance.'

The 787 is meant to be a full replacement for the 757. My aeronautics professor actually worked with Boeing to do research on developing it. And the 787 is not a competitor of the A380 in transportation sense, although they are hoping that the media will pick up on it more so than they did the A380. If you were to build a new aircraft, you'd want the meia to be there too, so I don't blame Boeing for wanting the attention :hrmm:

#67 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

View PostFalcon01, on Dec 7 2009, 02:39 PM, said:

The 787 is meant to be a full replacement for the 757. My aeronautics professor actually worked with Boeing to do research on developing it. And the 787 is not a competitor of the A380 in transportation sense, although they are hoping that the media will pick up on it more so than they did the A380. If you were to build a new aircraft, you'd want the meia to be there too, so I don't blame Boeing for wanting the attention :hrmm:
isnt it a replacement of the 767? my previous physics teacher was a T7 engineer and was funny when BA038 crashed and he was looking outside the class room every once in a while just in case the cavalry came to take him away :hrmm:

#68 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

View Postiranair787, on Dec 7 2009, 09:55 AM, said:

isnt it a replacement of the 767? my previous physics teacher was a T7 engineer and was funny when BA038 crashed and he was looking outside the class room every once in a while just in case the cavalry came to take him away :hrmm:

The 757 and 767 is in the same family. :hrmm:

#69 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

I still think it more closely resembles a 767 replacement. The 3 variant is much closer to the 767-300 domestic variant and the 8 and 9 are closer to the 300ER and 400ER respectively.

Unfortunately it looks like there's going to be some rain in the forecast ~14 December.

#70 roboa

roboa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Boeing actually said the 737-900/ER is the replacement for the 757. 787 is meant as a 767 replacement.

#71 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Dec 7 2009, 02:57 PM, said:

if that was the case it would make the A321 in the same family as the A330 as the A321 is compared to the 757 while the 767 is compared to the A330 and 787

#72 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

View Postiranair787, on Dec 7 2009, 01:33 PM, said:

View PostTHBatMan8, on Dec 7 2009, 02:57 PM, said:

if that was the case it would make the A321 in the same family as the A330 as the A321 is compared to the 757 while the 767 is compared to the A330 and 787

What I meant by same family is it's the same ATPL, and almost the same MEL except for ETOPS. A rating on one will get you a seat in the other.

#73 fredrick_thy_grt

fredrick_thy_grt

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

I seriously doubt it. The A320 was one of the first aircraft to use digital fly-by wire systems, and was very hyped by airbus. I don't see that in many history books, except for when the systems went haywire and caused a major air show disaster.

It is in a lot of history books..for its systems..and yeah it did crash when it first came out. What about when the top of a 737 came off..completely..or when a Next Gen 737 skidded off the runway in MDW and killed a 6 year old boy. But this is not about safety records, the A320 or the 737 it is about the 787s first flight. I really don't see how Airbus has anything to do with the 787s first flight..but whatever..just thought I would mention a few points of history since your all so fixated on it.

Boeing is looking for attention, get over it. If people know about the 787, know its a green plane then Airlines want it. This may come as a shock, but there are a lot more people than you think that will pick an airline with fuel efficient green aircraft over smokey :hrmm: buckets. That is esp true in America, we want the greenest, most spacious and modern airliners available to us..complete with TV's..of course.

I myself am very excited about this. I strongly support Airbus and all of their projects however there is something about this 787 I just can't get enough of. I would love to go up to see the flight, but I'm not sure I'll have the money. I'm sure youtube will be filled with video the day it flies, so I'll watch it there.

Just my 0.2 cents. Hate it or love. :hrmm:

#74 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

That is esp true in America, we want the greenest, most spacious and modern airliners available to us..complete with TV's..of course.

That's because those Americans are so materialistic that they're never pleased with that they have, they always want the newest thing..then that's not good enough. I honestly would rather just sit in a cozy seat, pull out a book, and read or sleep knowing I'm getting from point A to point B. Most other flyers feel the same way.

#75 Captain-Amar

Captain-Amar

Screenshot Hotshot of 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 8 2009, 03:13 AM, said:

That is esp true in America, we want the greenest, most spacious and modern airliners available to us..complete with TV's..of course.

That's because those Americans are so materialistic that they're never pleased with that they have, they always want the newest thing..then that's not good enough. I honestly would rather just sit in a cozy seat, pull out a book, and read or sleep knowing I'm getting from point A to point B. Most other flyers feel the same way.

I want it to sound properly  :hrmm:

#76 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Honestly, you have to consider it this way. About 10% or less of the people who even fly on airlines actually give a care what type of plane they're on. Most don't know, don't care, they just want to travel.

Edited by Perriwen, 07 December 2009 - 10:50 PM.

#77 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

View Postflynryan692, on Dec 7 2009, 08:39 PM, said:

Boeing is looking for attention, get over it. If people know about the 787, know its a green plane then Airlines want it. This may come as a shock, but there are a lot more people than you think that will pick an airline with fuel efficient green aircraft over smokey :hrmm: buckets. That is esp true in America, we want the greenest, most spacious and modern airliners available to us..complete with TV's..of course.

Airplanes never really had that much of a impact on the environment than the general public thinks. Even the smokey :hrmm: buckets are cleaner than most cars on the road, especially at altitude. :P

Saving fuel saves the airliner money. That's really all that any business owner cares about. ;)

Edited by THBatMan8, 07 December 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#78 SmartJunco

SmartJunco

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 7 2009, 09:13 PM, said:

This thread is about the 787's upcoming first flight, not about your Quaker way of life and hatred of today's American's. You can discuss those things in the Nonsense section. The 787's first flight is historic as it's Boeing's first NEW airplane since 1994, or since you've been able to stand on your own two freakin' feet. It employs a variety of new technologies that will make air travel more affordable and enjoyabe for the flying public.

Stick to your superbugs and mud hens and let the grown ups talk about commercial aviation.

#79 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

View PostSmartJunco, on Dec 7 2009, 11:53 PM, said:

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 7 2009, 09:13 PM, said:

This thread is about the 787's upcoming first flight, not about your Quaker way of life and hatred of today's American's. You can discuss those things in the Nonsense section. The 787's first flight is historic as it's Boeing's first NEW airplane since 1994, or since you've been able to stand on your own two freakin' feet. It employs a variety of new technologies that will make air travel more affordable and enjoyabe for the flying public.

Stick to your superbugs and mud hens and let the grown ups talk about commercial aviation.

Actually, it was a legit response to his post. Why don't you grow up and learn how to handle a different opinion better than a hormonal 16 year old?

#80 Captain-Amar

Captain-Amar

Screenshot Hotshot of 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

View PostPerriwen, on Dec 8 2009, 04:48 AM, said:

Honestly, you have to consider it this way. About 10% or less of the people who even fly on airlines actually give a care what type of plane they're on. Most don't know, don't care, they just want to travel.

Yea agreed. Therefore I am curious how the climate is on board the 787. And how the seats feel. Didn't the composite body allow more comfortable/more moist air pressure's? Or is that an overhyped thing aswell?