VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostMohammad, on May 2 2010, 11:25 PM, said:

View Postwyoairbus, on May 1 2010, 02:54 AM, said:

as previously stated the combined airline will be called united, continental will not retain its identity; i am really glad the united brand will remain, but its never good to see a brand dissapear
Ah crap, well this sucks! Farewell Continental...

Hello monopoly.
I think we need:

Posted Image

Really, I do hope that government can try to promote more competition. Flying to the Caribbean seems to get more expensive each year.... :hrmm:

Edited by CAY029-Pierre, 03 May 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#42 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

View PostCAY029-Pierre, on May 4 2010, 05:01 AM, said:

View PostMohammad, on May 2 2010, 11:25 PM, said:

View Postwyoairbus, on May 1 2010, 02:54 AM, said:

as previously stated the combined airline will be called united, continental will not retain its identity; i am really glad the united brand will remain, but its never good to see a brand dissapear
Ah crap, well this sucks! Farewell Continental...

Hello monopoly.
Really, I do hope that government can try to promote more competition. Flying to the Caribbean seems to get more expensive each year.... :hrmm:

Obama Air Travel Scheme? :hrmm:

#43 SeattlePilot

SeattlePilot

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

View PostCortez, on May 2 2010, 11:08 PM, said:

View Post03SVTCobra, on May 2 2010, 09:04 PM, said:

Holy 737NGs in New United Colors.
FINALLY.
Haha, it's gonna be the Continental paint scheme with the word United where Continental is. :hrmm:

More info: http://www.unitedcon...ntalmerger.com/

#44 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

I don't know if that site is real or not hahah

Isn't the Merger supposed to save money? No need to repaint that many planes...

Edited by Towelie, 03 May 2010 - 07:44 PM.

#45 Chief NWA

Chief NWA

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

View PostTowelie, on May 3 2010, 08:35 PM, said:

Delta's doing the same. They didn't have that many Delta planes in their new paint when the merger started. Plus, all the Continental planes have to have done is new titles. The Delta ones had to get completely repainted.

#46 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

^ They don't have to put the new titles, they can keep it as Continental for :hrmm: s sake

#47 Chief NWA

Chief NWA

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

View Postbangalore_fellow, on May 3 2010, 08:57 PM, said:

^ They don't have to put the new titles, they can keep it as Continental for :hrmm: s sake
They could, but I think United's just there for name recognition. United's more well known around the globe then Continental is. Same reason Delta was kept instead of Northwest.

I would like it to be all Continental though since I don't like United! :hrmm:

Edited by Chief NWA, 03 May 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#48 SeattlePilot

SeattlePilot

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

View PostTowelie, on May 3 2010, 07:35 PM, said:

Just looked at http://www.united.com/ so I am now believing the paint job. :hrmm:

#49 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

Well, that keeps things easy on the painters, both in the real world and the people you know will be scrambling to repaint planes in FS.

#50 wyoairbus

wyoairbus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

i bet its just a temporary PR thing, that paint looks like :hrmm: i can hardly see united completely throwing out the "U" when it is one of the most recognized logos in the world

IMO they should either keep the united scheme or pull a delta and get something brand new going on

#51 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

View Postwyoairbus, on May 3 2010, 09:33 PM, said:

i bet its just a temporary PR thing, that paint looks like :hrmm: i can hardly see united completely throwing out the "U" when it is one of the most recognized logos in the world

IMO they should either keep the united scheme or pull a delta and get something brand new going on

Only the ex-Continental aircraft will have that hybrid scheme...

#52 GuttahMastah

GuttahMastah

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

View PostTomcats_Forever, on May 3 2010, 10:35 PM, said:

View Postwyoairbus, on May 3 2010, 09:33 PM, said:

Only the ex-Continental aircraft will have that hybrid scheme...

That's still kind of dumb though. I mean it almost seems as if they are stealing their livery, and just simply putting "United" on them to let them know the United OWNS their :hrmm:

What if you saw the TWA logo on the bare metal, AA planes today? It's like a slap in the face.

Edited by Donovan., 03 May 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#53 fredrick_thy_grt

fredrick_thy_grt

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

That is the grosses most ugly paint scheme I have ever seen. If I took a crap and smeared it on a plane I bet it would look better..harsh yes..but..true.

EDIT: Just to be clear, all I'm saying is it makes COA look like crap and it makes United look like crap. They need to pull a Delta and make something brand new.

Edited by fredrick_thy_grt, 03 May 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#54 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

The bitterness in this thread over the stupidest things is just hilarious to me.

#55 JG1324

JG1324

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

From A.net

"We will keep Continental's logo, livery and colors, and our Working Together culture, and I will lead the company as CEO. We will keep the United name, which has strong global recognition, and the headquarters will be in Chicago."

~ From Jeff Smisek's letter to CO employees.

#56 GuttahMastah

GuttahMastah

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

View PostTomcats_Forever, on May 3 2010, 11:15 PM, said:

The bitterness in this thread over the stupidest things is just hilarious to me.

The livery is a big part of the airline business. You can't attract many customers if your livery looks like :hrmm: although it really shouldn't matter, it does.

I'm not really bitter over issue of whether the United or Continental colors keep their same liveries. It's the whole continental/united combination that makes me sick. First of all, the livery is bland. Second of all, keeping another company's paint scheme and putting your name on it is kind of.....I don't know. It's not a sign of nice behavior on United's part. Why don't they just make their own livery? Why do they have to use someone else's?

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. All I wanted to do was express my opinion.

Edited by Donovan., 03 May 2010 - 11:08 PM.

#57 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

View PostDonovan., on May 3 2010, 11:06 PM, said:

The livery is a big part of the airline business. You can't attract many customers if your livery looks like :hrmm: although it really shouldn't matter, it does.

I'm not really bitter over issue of whether the United or Continental colors keep their same liveries. It's the whole continental/united combination that makes me sick. First of all, the livery is bland. Second of all, keeping another company's paint scheme and putting your name on it is kind of.....I don't know. It's not a sign of nice behavior on United's part. Why don't they just make their own livery? Why do they have to use someone else's?

I don't remember people being this upset when USAir did that with America West..

#58 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

I love continental. Having my father and uncle pilots for them, its bittersweet seeing this all play out.

my only concern, as much as i love the continental livery because it represents class, i feel like it defeats the purpose of using the united name. In reality, a brand didn't win. So it defeats the idea of global recognition, because people will see the tail,and still associate it with Continental. They should have picked a side, even though i like the idea to use United as the name, because its like Uniting 2 airlines together.

I guess we will all see

#59 GuttahMastah

GuttahMastah

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

View PostTomcats_Forever, on May 4 2010, 12:13 AM, said:

View PostDonovan., on May 3 2010, 11:06 PM, said:

I don't remember people being this upset when USAir did that with America West..

Well, I was actually quite upset :hrmm: America West was such a good livery, it was sad to see it go. Same with TWA. I remember riding on TWA to Hawaii, way before 9/11 happened. Those were the good old days.

Edited by Donovan., 03 May 2010 - 11:25 PM.

#60 Toyuko

Toyuko

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:23 PM

Kinda boring, but that's a great way to save money.