#21 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Never realised before that you had nearly finished your A2s

I've said it before, a huge good luck @ Cabair buddy and I hope you find a flying job soon enough after coming out with a frozen ATPL  :hrmm:

#22 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

View PostDuke, on Jun 16 2010, 06:28 AM, said:

Make sure you get some sweet epaulets so everyone knows you're the mother :hrmm: Captain of that Cessna 152!!!

After all, it makes the uniform.

But even I don't have a uniform!

Who are you flying with where you are required to have one? I just wear whatever.

#23 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

View PostTimmeh, on Jun 16 2010, 06:41 PM, said:

Make sure you get some sweet epaulets so everyone knows you're the mother :hrmm: Captain of that Cessna 152!!!

Who are you flying with where you are required to have one? I just wear whatever.
Shocking. I didn't realise you were like the best pilot ever and needed to show this through donning a uniform ;)

And read the thread silly, he's doing it with Scabair. And yes, you wear a uniform (with your name on, very cute :P )

And Iranair: Regarding the clothes...one of each? What will you do when you need to wash them?

And call me a pessimist but I can envisage this costing a :hrmm: of a lot more than £50k...and with no guarantee of a job at the end, yikes.

Edited by Chief_Bean, 16 June 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#24 Captain Quagmire

Captain Quagmire

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

It's going to cost at least £60k without the type rating. And are you doing the integrated course at Cabair?

#25 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Haters gon' hate

#26 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Jun 16 2010, 06:47 PM, said:

View PostTimmeh, on Jun 16 2010, 06:41 PM, said:

Shocking. I didn't realise you were like the best pilot ever and needed to show this through donning a uniform ;)

And read the thread silly, he's doing it with Scabair. And yes, you wear a uniform (with your name on, very cute :P )

And Iranair: Regarding the clothes...one of each? What will you do when you need to wash them?

And call me a pessimist but I can envisage this costing a :hrmm: of a lot more than £50k...and with no guarantee of a job at the end, yikes.
tbh, I have no interest in money. All I would love to do is work around aircraft and fly. I have no interest in making money unless I can do so and keep it (like future investment) All that is important now is to just make it through the next 10 years before I decide to do anything

View PostCaptain Quagmire, on Jun 16 2010, 07:17 PM, said:

It's going to cost at least £60k without the type rating. And are you doing the integrated course at Cabair?

yup via kingston uni

#27 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

I just hope you find a job at the end of all of this , to pay for the 50K and uni fees :hrmm:.

#28 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

View Postbigflyersmallbyer, on Jun 16 2010, 07:27 PM, said:

I just hope you find a job at the end of all of this , to pay for the 50K and uni fees :hrmm:.
It'll be alright. with all the new aircraft orders plus the retirement of older pilots and the upturn, it'll be alright after 3 years

#29 Captain Quagmire

Captain Quagmire

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

View Postiranair787, on Jun 16 2010, 07:37 PM, said:

It'll be alright. with all the new aircraft orders plus the retirement of older pilots and the upturn, it'll be alright after 3 years

Hope your right, im going to do a modular route as the integrated option is far too expensive with little job prospects at the moment.

Edited by Captain Quagmire, 16 June 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#30 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

You could always take a Canoe trip if things go South.

#31 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

View Postbigflyersmallbyer, on Jun 16 2010, 07:40 PM, said:

You could always take a Canoe trip if things go South.
:hrmm:

#32 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

View Postbangalore_fellow, on Jun 16 2010, 03:52 PM, said:

^ You should be able to get a Scientific Calculator for less than that.

#33 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Lol, I'd pay to hear you say that in three/four years time when you're up to your eyeballs in debt (I'm guessing at least £90k).

Irainair, I don't mean to put you down at all, but let me give you an impartial outsider's view:

1. You have absolutely no guarantee of a job after getting your fATPL. It will be with minimum hours and very very few people are successful getting employment after the bare minimum (especially in this climate where experienced pilots are struggling).

2. There's a lot more to being a pilot than being able to fly. You're going to need excellent social/people/leadership skills. I'm not gonna say that you lack these, but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

3. Yes, you may not care about being rich, but you will need money. And lots of it.

There's more but I'm about to eat dinner, so yeah.

#34 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Jun 17 2010, 12:39 AM, said:

3. Yes, you may not care about being rich, but you will need money. And lots of it.

Yea, Ali, you can't just say you just wanna fly.  There are numerous expenses you'll need to cover.  Struggling with a poor life isn't what you should look forward to.

#35 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

View Postiranair787, on Jun 16 2010, 02:26 PM, said:

tbh, I have no interest in money. All I would love to do is work around aircraft and fly. I have no interest in making money unless I can do so and keep it (like future investment) All that is important now is to just make it through the next 10 years before I decide to do anything

Quoted for posterity.

#36 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Where are you getting 50k from?  :hrmm:

Anyways don't worry about the negatives, any normal bloke going thru uni can expect to come out with 25k worth of debt what's an extra 70k on top of that? Most Doctors can expect to come out of learning with over 100k worth of debt yet not all of them are from India yet! Go for it! If your involved in what you love I'm sure you won't regret anything - you can only regret what you DON'T DO!

#37 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

View PostMax., on Jun 16 2010, 08:28 PM, said:

Anyways don't worry about the negatives, any normal bloke going thru uni can expect to come out with 25k worth of debt what's an extra 70k on top of that? Most Doctors can expect to come out of learning with over 100k worth of debt yet not all of them are from India yet! Go for it! If your involved in what you love I'm sure you won't regret anything - you can only regret what you DON'T DO!

#38 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

but aren't uni fees per year about £3000?

#39 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

View PostPope_Mischievous, on Jun 17 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

View Postiranair787, on Jun 16 2010, 02:26 PM, said:

Quoted for posterity.

1. Food
2. Shelter/house
3. Electricity, gas, phone, internet etc. bills
4. taxes
5. So so many other expenditures

View PostMax., on Jun 17 2010, 12:58 AM, said:

:P

Yet, the Indians doctors in India are utterly useless dumb pieces of :hrmm:.

Edited by bangalore_fellow, 16 June 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#40 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

View Postiranair787, on Jun 16 2010, 08:33 PM, said:

but aren't uni fees per year about £3000?
Tuition fees are just over £3,000. Accommodation is likely to set you back about £4,000 (if not more). And general living costs will stick that up to around £10k a year I reckon.