Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 14 2010, 11:59 PM, said:

View PostEl_Mexicano, on Jul 14 2010, 10:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

Actually, it only stays there for a set period of time.

Now, leave this topic for us futurists to discuss the possibilities of this technology, please.  :hrmm:

That's what you're side of the argument was doing also (and is why I requested this thread to be locked).

I never said shut up and agree, and again, you're welcome to end this argument by leaving this thread and let those of us with an actual interest in this discuss it. :hrmm:

I never said shut up and agree either. Obviously I do have a interest in the discussion if I'm still participating in it. I just hate repeating myself. You're not going to get rid of me that easy. :P

Edited by THBatMan8, 14 July 2010 - 11:08 PM.

#122 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jul 14 2010, 11:08 PM, said:

View PostEl_Mexicano, on Jul 14 2010, 10:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

Actually, it only stays there for a set period of time.

Now, leave this topic for us futurists to discuss the possibilities of this technology, please.  :hrmm:

That's what you're side of the argument was doing also (and is why I requested this thread to be locked).

I never said shut up and agree, and again, you're welcome to end this argument by leaving this thread and let those of us with an actual interest in this discuss it. :hrmm:

I never said shut up and agree either. Obviously I do have a interest in the discussion if I'm still participating in it. I just hate repeating myself. You're not going to get rid of me that easy. :P

Then don't repeat yourself, it's that simple. You're not going to convince me, TopDollar, or anyone else that this stuff isn't going to happen, so take it or leave it. And we're obviously not going to convince you that it will. But I can't help noticing a sense of near panic and denial when ever a future development that isn't a traditional airliner design comes up on this site.

#123 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:17 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 15 2010, 12:13 AM, said:

Then don't repeat yourself, it's that simple. You're not going to convince me, TopDollar, or anyone else that this stuff isn't going to happen, so take it or leave it. And we're obviously not going to convince you that it will. But I can't help noticing a sense of near panic and denial when ever a future development that isn't a traditional airliner design comes up on this site.

Haha, why would I panic and be in denial about UAVs when they won't effect me whatsoever? I don't fly airplanes for a living, nor do I plan to so it doesn't effect me at all. My point is you're just as hellbent that it's going to happen than I'm hellbent that it's not, when the truth of the matter is we don't know if either of us is correct.

You're looking at the pros and I'm looking at the cons. I'm not saying that UAVs are impossible, only that currently the cons outweigh the pros.

Edited by THBatMan8, 14 July 2010 - 11:19 PM.

#124 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jul 14 2010, 11:17 PM, said:

Haha, why would I panic and be in denial about UAVs when they won't effect me whatsoever? I don't fly airplanes for a living, nor do I plan to so it doesn't effect me at all. My point is you're just as hellbent that it's going to happen than I'm hellbent that it's not, when the truth of the matter is we don't know if either of us is correct.

I wasn't talking about you in particular, but I have seen people all like 'OMG! I don't want to ever see that happen, no way!'

#125 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:24 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 15 2010, 12:18 AM, said:

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jul 14 2010, 11:17 PM, said:

I wasn't talking about you in particular, but I have seen people all like 'OMG! I don't want to ever see that happen, no way!'

True, but you get that every time something new comes along. Someone will always disagree with a new concept, if their opinion is educated or not.

#126 7-5-7

7-5-7

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

View Postiranair787, on Jul 13 2010, 06:01 PM, said:

technically cant it travel for ever if its hydrogen powered? Consider all the hydrogen atoms within water in the atmosphere and clouds, technically it can if it can separate them

From what I know about physics, if you separate intermolecular bonds, you get Hiroshima II :hrmm:

Please correct me if I am wrong, I haven't taken physics yet

#127 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

View Post7-5-7, on Jul 15 2010, 09:52 AM, said:

technically cant it travel for ever if its hydrogen powered? Consider all the hydrogen atoms within water in the atmosphere and clouds, technically it can if it can separate them

From what I know about physics, if you separate intermolecular bonds, you get Hiroshima II :hrmm:

Uh no.  Not even close.  Come back when you've taken a chemistry course.

#128 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

View Post7-5-7, on Jul 15 2010, 06:52 AM, said:

Yerp, Every time you inhale Hiroshima II happens.

#129 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

View Post7-5-7, on Jul 15 2010, 07:22 PM, said:

From what I know about physics, if you separate internucleon bonds, you get Hiroshima II :hrmm:

Corrected :hrmm: .  You break inter-molecular bonds every time, that's what happens during a chemical reaction.

Break the nuclear strong force bonds between the protons and neutrons though, and you get Nuclear Fission.

#130 7-5-7

7-5-7

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

View Postpyruvate, on Jul 15 2010, 11:20 AM, said:

From what I know about physics, if you separate internucleon bonds, you get Hiroshima II :hrmm:

Corrected :hrmm: .  You break inter-molecular bonds every time, that's what happens during a chemical reaction.

Break the nuclear strong force bonds between the protons and neutrons though, and you get Nuclear Fission.

Ahh thank you. that's what I was probably thinking of.

Also, you don't break intermolecular bonds when you inhale, you simply exchange oxygen molecules with carbon dioxide molecules found in the small capillaries found in the alveoli in your bronchi in your lungs :P

#131 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

View Post7-5-7, on Jul 15 2010, 09:42 PM, said:

View Postpyruvate, on Jul 15 2010, 11:20 AM, said:

Ahh thank you. that's what I was probably thinking of.

Also, you don't break intermolecular bonds when you inhale, you simply exchange oxygen molecules with carbon dioxide molecules found in the small capillaries found in the alveoli in your bronchi in your lungs :P

Um... No, it's is NOT that simple, there are 2 long chemical cycles which occur for your respiration.  Don't have it at the top of my head now, but you can read on it here http://en.wikipedia....d_other_mammals

#132 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

If you want to learn some real nuclear physics, I suggest watching the free lectures by university professor Richard Muller.  Here is one on specifically nukes.  Although I highly suggest watching the one on radioactivity as well.  The lectures are focused on a conceptual model of what it going on rather than a mathematical model.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5BHdsjo-NR4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5BHdsjo-NR4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#133 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Some new info released:

Aircraft could spend ten days over target

#134 babybabay

babybabay

Passenger

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

Moderator Comment:  Scammer/spammer post removed; posting privilege suspended indefinitely pending Admin review as a "ban" candidate.

Edited by sarge, 14 October 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#135 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

View Postbabybabay, on Oct 14 2010, 09:25 PM, said:

Moderator Comment:  Scammer/spammer post removed; posting privilege suspended indefinitely pending Admin review as a "ban" candidate.
Posted Image

Edited by sarge, 14 October 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#136 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

Looks like a cool aircraft

#137 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

View PostElement94, on Jul 13 2010, 05:30 PM, said:

It requires more energy to extract hydrogen from most compounds than you'll get out of it.

This.  It requires exuberant amounts of electricity.

#138 silverback

silverback

Private Pilot - VFR

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

View PostTopDollar, on Jul 14 2010, 12:20 PM, said:

... snip
I personally think solar power is the future of aviation, but hydrogen may be the future of unmanned aviation.

Interesting discussion.  Hydrogen is the most common element in our known universe.  "Scooping" hydrogen from interstellar space as a fuel source for starships is known to science fiction authors, but they've also heard about "solar sails" propelled by the wave/particle duality of light from a nearby star.  Perhaps the technology will be selected based on what's best for the medium in which we fly: hydrogen or something else for weightless interstellar travel, solar for atmospheric travel, batteries for maneuvering and parking, beer for all at the port of call.

#139 suraj

suraj

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:31 AM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 14 2010, 09:29 PM, said:

In order for UAVs to be successful in the commercial industry there needs to be a high enough demand for them, which right now there is none. It would be pointless to build a commercial UAV if no one will buy it.
Actually, in this economy, I imagine if the airlines had the option to scrap the salary of several hundred pilots in return for a small handful of engineers, they'd be all over it faster than you can say 'obsolete.'

And to all the people saying 'what if something goes wrong', what are you so worried about? The aircraft are mostly fully automated today anyway, and I have yet to hear a story of a major incident that was caused because something went wrong with the computers.

You will never hear of anything going wrong because of the computers because there is a pilot standing by and monitoring the aircraft! are you kidding me, that was by far the worst comment I have ever heard. I know that sounds harsh, I'm not calling you an idiot, but that was not really well thought out, I am very sorry. Incidents will always happen, you can say that you want to get rid of the pilots, but like Dano said, that will never happen, there will always ALWAYS have to be a pilot standing by, either on ground, or in the aircraft (would be much happier in the aircraft :()

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jul 14 2010, 09:44 PM, said:

Even if there will someday be a fully automated airliner, it would still require a human babysitter in case of a system malfunction, so the human element will never be completely removed.

THANK YOU, its like no one is listening

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 14 2010, 09:46 PM, said:

The day is not coming
Yes, it is.  :hmmm: Unless you're one of the people who can see in to the future, there's no way you can look at current trends and not see it's on it's way sooner or later. :hrmm:

I love how sure of yourself you are. Its nuts, I can't believe that you think that if the computers just stopped working on a plane without ANYONE who knew how to fly that thing was on there, than you ARE in denial. We will have to HAVE to HAVE to have a pilot in the aircraft, or around the aircraft JUST IN CASE!!!!

lol, I'm really sorry, but I am getting quite frustrated reading that you think you know that commercial aircraft will be pilot-less soon someday.

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 14 2010, 09:53 PM, said:

The day is not coming
Yes, it is.  :lol: Unless you're one of the people who can see in to the future, there's no way you can look at current trends and not see it's on it's way sooner or later. :P
What trends? Are you even reading my posts? :hrmm:
Trend one: The downscaling of crews due to those functions being taken over by the computer. (The navigator and engineer are gone, so the pilots will be next to go.)

Trend two: The spread of popularity in UAVs.

Trend three: Computers growing smarter and in many cases superior to the human brain.

It really sounds like you hate humans, lol. I mean you really trust your life with computers and it really sounds like to me that you have barely any faith in humans. Everything is prone to mistake in life, nothing is perfect and never will be perfect. Computers will never be superior to humans, however yes, they will be better than us in many ways, however, we also have many characteristics that make us much superior to computers. There will always always be pros and cons to everything.

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 14 2010, 10:28 PM, said:

Once again, we went from saying flying was impossible to walking on the moon in less than 70 years. I think you're either being, as Top Dollar said, short sighted, pessimistic, or just in denial. ;)

I just said we won't see it in our lifetimes. That's all. If that's hard to understand, and that it has to fall under one of those three, then what do I have to say to you? You're being too stubborn to accept someone's concerns and ram "what the future will be" down their throat.
You totally lose the point. From wooden...frames...to the moon..in 70 years...which is less than a lifetime to most people. The advances we're seeing here are no where NEAR as big as those changes were...from a 12 second flight..to a quarter of a million miles and back..in less then a century. It will be done in our life time unless people like you and BatMan take over the scientific world with all your 'it will never happen' nonsense.

As Kennedy said, we choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard
I don't think you're fully understanding the process to achieve this. But going back to the cars being run by computers, I wouldn't be comfortable letting a computer control a $105,000 car. :blink:
I think the one not understanding is you.

We have heard all this 'it'll never happen, not in our life time' stuff before.

"They'll never have powered flight in our life time."

"We'll never break the sound barrier in our life time."

"We'll never send a man into space in our life time."

"We'll never walk on the moon in our life time."

"We'll never see mars in our life time."

"We'll never have a super computer that can hold millions of pieces of information and fit into a single room in our life time."

"We'll never see absolute zero in our life time."

"We'll never have a global network that can send information across the world to millions of people in an instant in our life time"

"We'll never have computers able to fit in our pocket that can hold thousands of songs, videos, photos, be able to surf that huge network, and make phone calls as well in our life time."

But you know what?

We did and we do

There are A LOT of we'll never see a...that actually ended up happening. But start thinking of the things that We'll never see a...Or we will have... in our lifetime. That actually haven't happened yet. *cough flying cars *cough* remember back in the 80's when they thought that we'll have them in the year 2000...but that hasn't happened yet, and won't for a very very long time, just think about it.

View PostTopDollar, on Jul 14 2010, 10:33 PM, said:

Bet you never thought a computer could take on the roll of a human scientist by forming hypotheses, and testing them by creating its own experiments.  Think this is still unrelated?  Here, I'll post the link to the video on the mating of ideas again:

http://www.ted.com/t...s_have_sex.html
As I said, a robot will never replace a pilot and for multiple reasons, but the main one is due to a mechanical defect. Replace the flight crew and you might as well be signing a death warrant to every passenger onboard the airplane when a part breaks.

Completely irrelevant to the article and my post.

The issue is not with computers, but with human psychology.  As far as computers go, the numbers speak for themselves.  But for some reason it seems impossible to break the irrational trust in another human despite the fact that a computer performs flawlessly 99% of the time.
And the post was irrelevant to the topic and discussion at hand. Computers do run flawlessly when they run. I wouldn't bet my life on it or expect someone else to when a part breaks or malfunctions.

You didn't watch the video did you..Doubtful you read the article either.

Here's the link again

http://www.ted.com/t...s_have_sex.html

Please get your mind out of the small box it is in at the moment.  It doesn't matter what the computer was doing, but the fact that the computer was using analytical skills to make predictions about what something would do.  Saying that that is not relevant to a computer operating an aircraft is the same as saying the production of plastic is irrelevant to computer mice.

I think a lot of people are missing everyones point. Thebatman said that they will happen, however there will always have to be a backup. Everything we have in our life has a backup. What happens when we don't back things up, We lose them. Same thing goes with aircraft. If we don't have a backup for the computers, we will lose lives. Thebatman definitely agrees that there will be "pilotless" aircraft, however there will have to always be that human there to back it up.

#140 suraj

suraj

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:44 AM

It really looks like you want to win this argument. I can't believe you don't agree that a pilotless aircraft will have to have a pilot in the cockpit just in case anything goes wrong. Thebatman came halfway, and you just want to fully win your point. Its like trying to debate to a elite christian that there is no god. They will not make any progress and agree with some points, however they will try their darndest to convince the other person fully that there is a god, and like I said, not make any progress and slowly agree with the other person.