91 replies to this topic

#1 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

Never flown them before...never will after this.

http://www.news.com....0-1225891592061

#2 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

That sucks and is unfair.

But I mean when an aircraft is too heavy and you need to get people off, what else can you do?

#3 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

What about fat people? Unless they paid for two seats I think they should be the first ones off. I mean really, Who likes Fat people? It's not like they're useful.

#4 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

View Post.Andrew, on Jul 14 2010, 11:00 PM, said:

But I mean when an aircraft is too heavy and you need to get people off, what else can you do?

Be smart enough not to overbook the flight? <.<

#5 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 14 2010, 09:01 PM, said:

Obviously.

But when you're a pilot/flight attendant who has no control over tickets and overbooking, you don't have many options I'd imagine.

#6 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 15 2010, 12:01 AM, said:

United is obligated by law to reimburse the fares in this case, or transport the passengers on a different flight. Overbooks happen, and it's not always because the airplane ran out of seats. Many different factors can change the payload of the flight.

#7 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

But in either case, you don't call out the names of the lowest payers (and obviously not the most wealthy) passengers out for the whole plane to hear, and watch leave.

#8 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 15 2010, 12:15 AM, said:

But in either case, you don't call out the names of the lowest payers (and obviously not the most wealthy) passengers out for the whole plane to hear, and watch leave.

You only heard one side of the story, and not the other side.

1) Not all airplanes have multiple class configurations, most domestic flights actually only have a single class configuration for maximum seating capacity, so there is no rich/poor separation among passengers.

2) The time at which the tickets were purchased makes a difference.

3) The amount of carry-on luggage makes a difference.

#9 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Just about every airline overbooks flights in an attempt to keep their flights as full as possible.  There are usually no-shows and that is what the airlines count on.  But when everyone does show, you run into problems.  I was actually on a Delta flight that was overbooked.  They asked for volunteers and people gladly did and got some nice reimbursements/travel voucher for it.  If I wasn't coming home from such a long trip and felt better than I did, I would have gladly given up my seat for the free travel credit.

According to the article, the gate agent never even said such a thing.  The only person that said they took the lowest payers was the :hrmm: tweeter.  Sorry, but these types of foolish allegations are well, foolish and make an airline look worse than it should.  Yes, perhaps they didn't handle it correctly but according to the quote, the gate agent did as they should: go by who checked in last.  Now, they should do it in a courteous manner but even according to this biased article, they didn't go by the lowest paying passengers.

#10 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

View PostLA_BOS, on Jul 14 2010, 11:51 PM, said:

Just about every airline overbooks flights in an attempt to keep their flights as full as possible.  There are usually no-shows and that is what the airlines count on.  But when everyone does show, you run into problems.  I was actually on a Delta flight that was overbooked.  They asked for volunteers and people gladly did and got some nice reimbursements/travel voucher for it.  If I wasn't coming home from such a long trip and felt better than I did, I would have gladly given up my seat for the free travel credit.

According to the article, the gate agent never even said such a thing.  The only person that said they took the lowest payers was the :hrmm: tweeter.  Sorry, but these types of foolish allegations are well, foolish and make an airline look worse than it should.  Yes, perhaps they didn't handle it correctly but according to the quote, the gate agent did as they should: go by who checked in last.  Now, they should do it in a courteous manner but even according to this biased article, they didn't go by the lowest paying passengers.

Given the tweeter was the one there, a respected travel site founder, and the main source of the story, I take it a pretty good indicator that is what happened..

#11 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 15 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

Given the tweeter was the one there, a respected travel site founder, and the main source of the story, I take it a pretty good indicator that is what happened..

Unless the gate attendant specifically called for the lowest paying passengers on the PA, it didn't happen. Also, if the aircraft was a single class configuration then you might as well kick everyone out, as everyone paid about the same price to board the aircraft.

Edited by THBatMan8, 14 July 2010 - 11:56 PM.

#12 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 15 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

So you just believe what he says when he shows no proof?  In fact, the part quoted from him explicitly says that the gate agent threatened to go by a list of who checked in last.  I bet the gate agent can't even get a list of who the :hrmm: paid the most and what do they care really who gets booted.  No matter who is booted, they will be unhappy, regardless of how much they paid.

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jul 15 2010, 12:55 AM, said:

as everyone paid about the same price to board the aircraft.

Not necessarily.  Depending on when a passenger bought the ticket, even if it was only one class being sold, the price can fluctuate greatly.  That show Peter Greenberg did on CNBC about American Airlines proved just that.  I remember it showed one passenger paid close to $1,000 for a coach ticket and one paid closer to $100.  It all depends on the demand at the time.

#13 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:02 AM

View PostLA_BOS, on Jul 15 2010, 01:00 AM, said:

Not necessarily.  Depending on when a passenger bought the ticket, even if it was only one class being sold, the price can fluctuate greatly.  That show Peter Greenberg did on CNBC about American Airlines proved just that.  I remember it showed one passenger paid close to $1,000 for a coach ticket and one paid closer to $100.  It all depends on the demand at the time.

I already noted that in another post.If everyone buys the tickets at the same time, they will pay the same amount. If you buy the ticket in advance, you'll end up saving more money.

#14 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

View PostLA_BOS, on Jul 15 2010, 12:00 AM, said:

So you just believe what he says when he shows no proof?  In fact, the part quoted from him explicitly says that the gate agent threatened to go by a list of who checked in last.  I bet the gate agent can't even get a list of who the :hrmm: paid the most and what do they care really who gets booted.  No matter who is booted, they will be unhappy, regardless of how much they paid.

No, that part where the agent threatened to get the list of the last people who checked in happened after they called out the lowest payers.

“(Gate agent) said if we don't get two more (volunteers to get off the flight)... I am going to get a list of the last people that checked in! All passengers sitting nervously!" Bruce said.

Key words: two more. 20 were kicked off. Which means this happens after the eighteen lowest payers were booted off.

#15 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

People are throwing around the words "overweight" and "overbooked".

The article doesn't mention any of that, it just says they're throwing people off who paid the lowest, which is :hrmm:. When you pay you are a revenue customer, not some standby just to find out, "Oh hey, yea, you know that flight...nevermind that."

Airlines overbook because they know a few people are going to miss/forget/etc, the flight. I doubt that the plane is overweight as well, considering they are designed to be full of passengers, cargo, food, etc...

Edited by Timmeh, 15 July 2010 - 12:04 AM.

#16 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 15 2010, 01:03 AM, said:

No, that part where the agent threatened to get the list of the last people who checked in happened after they called out the lowest payers.

“(Gate agent) said if we don't get two more (volunteers to get off the flight)... I am going to get a list of the last people that checked in! All passengers sitting nervously!" Bruce said.

Key words: two more. 20 were kicked off. Which means this happens after the eighteen lowest payers were booted off.

The last people that checked in =/= the lowest payers.

#17 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jul 15 2010, 01:02 AM, said:

View PostLA_BOS, on Jul 15 2010, 01:00 AM, said:

I already noted that in another post.If everyone buys the tickets at the same time, they will pay the same amount. If you buy the ticket in advance, you'll end up saving more money.

Ah, I see that now.  And yes, you usually do unless the airline releases some last-minute deal which absolutely pisses me off when I've already bought a ticket and now it is cheaper. :hrmm:

#18 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jul 15 2010, 12:05 AM, said:

No one said they're the same. o.o

#19 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:08 AM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 15 2010, 01:06 AM, said:

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jul 15 2010, 12:05 AM, said:

No one said they're the same. o.o

No one said the attendant specifically called for the lowest payers either.

#20 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

I think you are misreading the article.  Usually, in news articles, the first little bit is a quick and short summary.  I believe it was 20 IN TOTAL, even after threatening with the last checked in list.  They never said they removed 20 people and then started threatening.  The article only says they threatened after people didn't volunteer.  You are making a jump that isn't necessarily true.

Remember, an article isn't necessarily written in chronological order of the events.   And yes, I did take a Journalism class so I do have a pretty good understanding on the composition of news articles...which this is barely.