Jaggyroad Films

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

http://www.microsoft...s/gamescom.aspx

Not to gloat, but I told ya!

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Let me give some insight into how this could be beneficial to us all... especially developers, but also to consumers. If my sources are right, and my understanding, the "Live" feature will allow for some very good content to be easily accessible to everyone.

For those of you who have used Steam, this may be similar. Imagine going into your Flight game/simulator, checking the latest news and finding the newest addons from various developers ready for sale.

For consumers, this is easy access in an all inclusive source, similar to apps for the iPhone. For developers, this is free advertising and a much wider audience to sell your wares!

Guys, this could be seriously a very good thing for everyone involved. Don't shoot it down yet. I welcome a change like this (if it happens as I said).

#2 SamYeager

SamYeager

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:22 AM

I notice the video had a xbox.com url. If that means that MS Flight will be XBox only then I have zero interest.

#3 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

Hmm, will be interesting on an Xbox. At least everyone should be able to run this without the latest computer components.

#4 Jaggyroad Films

Jaggyroad Films

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:38 AM

This may or may not be a connection to MSLive, regarding the XBox stuff.

Read this excerpt from the news page of Microsoft Flight:

Microsoft annoucnes the development of "Microsoft Flight," a new LIVE enabled Windows exlusive inspired by the best-selling Flight Simulator Franchise.

Twenty-eight years after the debut of "Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0," Microsoft Game Studios announces the internal development of "Microsoft Flight." "Microsoft Flight" will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans to experience the magic of flight. For continual updates over time and to view a teaser of the future of Flight on the Windows PC, visit www.microsoft.com/games/flight

"Today, we're bringing powerful, inventive gaming experiences to the Windows-based PC. Over the years, our PC heritage captured the hearts and mind of millions of players. Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences at their core marks the beginning of our return to PC gaming in bold new ways."

-Phil Spencer
Corporate Vice President
Microsoft Game Studios

Edited by Jaggyroad Films, 17 August 2010 - 02:40 AM.

#5 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:41 AM

There was a press release out of Germany yesterday about this. It will be PC based.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Introducing “Microsoft Flight"
Twenty-eight years after the debut of “Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0," Microsoft Game Studios also announced the internal development of “Microsoft Flight," a new Windows exclusive. “Microsoft Flight" will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans, to experience the magic of flight.

A teaser of the future of Flight on the Windows-based PC is available at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight.

I'm laughing over this. Unless the closure of ACES was a planed even to make simmers all mopey about it, and then bring this into light, so they could work on a new engine from scratch, then it's possibly one of the most sneakiest and dangerous marketing ploys of all time.

If Microsoft realized their decision was a grave error, then they saved themselves with this. It's still good news to me. :hrmm:

Edited by SwitchFX, 17 August 2010 - 02:43 AM.

#6 Jaggyroad Films

Jaggyroad Films

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:43 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on Aug 17 2010, 02:41 AM, said:

If Microsoft realized their decision was a grave error, then they saved themselves with this. It's still good news to me. :hrmm:
... and good news to me as well. It means I remain employed for the foreseeable future.

#7 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:47 AM

True that.

And let's think about this. If I'm right with my theory, that they used their sweet time to gather a team of designers and coders, then maybe this will be the flight simulator we've wanted for years. Besides, "Microsoft Flight" sounds cooler than "Microsoft Flight Simulator", am I right or what? :hrmm:

#8 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:49 AM

Does anyone have a youtube link to the video? Im in T5 at LHR right now and the connection is very slow :hrmm:

#9 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:54 AM

U_ohJYsMrWQ

Edited by SwitchFX, 17 August 2010 - 02:54 AM.

#10 mhockey21

mhockey21

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:57 AM

Who wants to take bets on how long til its out?

#11 Delta777

Delta777

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:01 AM

What a useless trailer...

#12 mhockey21

mhockey21

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:02 AM

View PostDelta777, on Aug 17 2010, 01:01 AM, said:

What a useless trailer...
I was kinda thinking that.  Atleast we know something is in the works!

#13 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:03 AM

At least it isn't dead no more... although I would like more details on it.

#14 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:19 AM

View PostSamYeager, on Aug 17 2010, 12:52 PM, said:

I notice the video had a xbox.com url. If that means that MS Flight will be XBox only then I have zero interest.

+1, I'm not going to fly my PMDG-type of aircraft on an XBox :hrmm:
Being XBox only is as good as being dead :(.

On the bright side, if it's PC as usual, and that trailer is how the game REALLY looks, this is AWESOMENESS!! :hrmm: :P

And hope they're starting it from scratch and building a new Engine to make use of all the newer technology, and is much more efficient.

I'm physced! ;)

#15 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:27 AM

From the wording, I am pretty certain that this is going to be no "simulator". Many people complained about FSX - this may have lots of eye candy but I reckon it will be even worse.

#16 SamYeager

SamYeager

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:53 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on Aug 17 2010, 08:41 AM, said:

There was a press release out of Germany yesterday about this. It will be PC based.

Well that's much better if true.  :hrmm:

#17 cactidust

cactidust

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:22 AM

What's the release date?

[/sarcasm]

#18 SamYeager

SamYeager

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:34 AM

Excerpt from official press release:

COLOGNE, Germany — Aug. 17, 2009 — On the eve of gamescom 2010, the world's largest consumer-oriented games showcase, Microsoft Corp. unveiled the newest addition to the famed “Age of Empires" franchise, “Age of Empires Online." Microsoft also announced the development of “Microsoft Flight," a new entry inspired by the best-selling “Microsoft Flight Simulator" franchise. Published by Microsoft Game Studios, these new titles, along with the previously announced “Fable III," fully integrate the free* Games for Windows – LIVE online service to deliver compelling socially connected gameplay experiences.

“Today, we're bringing powerful, inventive gaming experiences to the Windows-based PC," said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. “Over the years, our PC heritage captured the hearts and minds of millions of players. Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences at their core marks the beginning of our return to PC gaming in bold new ways.

:hrmm:  Ok, so PC based which is good but seems heavily, if not exclusively, oriented to playing on-line which is bad from my point of view.

#19 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:49 AM

View Postfluffy, on Aug 17 2010, 09:27 AM, said:

From the wording, I am pretty certain that this is going to be no "simulator". Many people complained about FSX - this may have lots of eye candy but I reckon it will be even worse.
Bang on.

The whole thing looks arcadey to me, plus the fact that they've ommited the word Simulator from the title and what you have is a arcade flying game. This doesn't look good to me.

#20 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:50 AM

I think it makes a little sense to leave the world Simulator out of the name. It's a little punchier with just 'Flight'.

So where does that leave the Aces Team and Aerosoft plans? They will drop their projects or compete with FS?